Joss Whedon's Avengers 2 struggles revealed

Describes why he had to think twice about directing it

Given the box-office success of the first film, and the universal adoration with which it was met among fans, you would think signing on for The Avengers 2 would have been a no-brainer for director Joss Whedon.

However, Whedon apparently thought long and hard about whether he wanted to return for a second round, only coming to a final decision after a brainstorming session in London.

“There’s a business aspect to it and I would be disingenuous not to say that, but the question for me is, 'Do I have another story to tell about these people?' So we worked on the business side of it and I didn’t think it was going to happen - I was like ‘I’m never going to do this again.’

“But once they worked on the business aspect of it I thought, 'That seems fair and cool', so, the question was, ‘Do I have another thing to say?’ I was in London and I went to a pub and had some fish and chips and a pint and started writing in my notebook. I’m writing ‘if I was going to do this what would I say?’ and 40 minutes later I filled the notebook. So I text my agent and said to make the deal.

“I’m so in love with that universe and the characters and the way they were played and I have so much more I want to do with them. I know I can’t match the success of the first one but I can try to make a better film and that’s what I’m excited about. That’s the new room of fear I’m entering now.”

Proof, if proof were needed, that a pint and a plate of fish and chips is enough to make anyone see sense. The Avengers 2 opens in the UK on 1 May 2015.

Are you pleased to see Whedon return for round two? Tell us, below!

Comments

• omgitsgray

Sep 20th 2012, 7:33

Please tell him I'll give him a tenner for that very notebook. ...I nearly said 'Renner' instead of 'tenner'... which makes me think Marvel rhyming slang should exist.

• dancarmody

Sep 20th 2012, 10:14

Joss Whedon can do no wrong in my eyes, 100% trust in him. But id be skeptical about doing Avengers 2, the beauty of the first is getting them all together with the banter and action montages. Cant see it working as well on round 2. Still, itll likely be awesome. PROCEED WHEDON.

Sep 20th 2012, 10:59

I know I keep saying this, but get rid of deadwood like Black Widow and replace with Common or Tyrese Gibson as Black Panther.

• Monkeynuts30

Sep 20th 2012, 11:15

Agreed, ditch the Widow and give us the Wasp!

• ilikescifi

Sep 20th 2012, 12:31

Also agree with Hadouken76 and Monkeynuts30. Wow black panther would be cool. Would be great if Whedon had the same unlimited funds and studio control as Lucas

• SiMan

Sep 20th 2012, 12:34

I didn't particularly have a problem with Widow - actually quite liked the scene where she's getting grilled by Loki (for those 3 people who haven't seen it, that, unfortunately, isn't any kind of euphemism). I just hope that its not another alien threat storyline. There's plenty of characters in the Marvel universe that we still need to see on screen. The civil war storyline also needs considering too (although it maybe couldn't be done justice in a 2 hr film)

• ANPCooper

Sep 20th 2012, 16:47

Whedon can do no wrong in my eyes but that not-withstanding its good to see he thought it threw from the artistic point of view instead of just grabbing the (what I'm sure must have been massive) cheque. The only draw back to a sequel from a dramatic stand point is that we know none of the big 4 are ever in any danger of dying because Marvel wont want to loose part of the money making machine, so they can never be in true peril. But Whedon will do a stellar job as always. Can I just add, when his Marvel days ARE over and everyone wants his next picture can he please, please make that picture Serenity 2.

• thedanieljson

Sep 20th 2012, 16:47

He's so down to earth and just real. "I went to a pub and had some fish and chips and a pint and started writing in my notebook." What a fantastic man.

Sep 20th 2012, 18:20

I don't know why but that line about going to the pup for fish and chips just made me laugh. BTW isn't it kinda odd that Josh put Thanos in the credits if he thought he wasn't coming back ?? doesn't that indicate that Whedon was laying foundations for the sequels ?

• beezlebud

Sep 20th 2012, 23:04

it's a blessing none of you people work for Marvel, Common and Tyrese would make horrible, horrible, truly terrible casting choices for Black Panther there's dozens who would be better choices the obvious one being Will Smith but they would be better off searching for an unknown and Black Widow was brilliantly cast and a highlight in Iron Man 2 and was quality in Avengers, she should 100% continue to make appearances in these films and most definitely over Wasp, Wasps cool and all but Black Widow brings far more to the table Ant/Giant Man would be cool for the special effects of seeing Giant Man holding up buildings or being toppled by Hulk and obviously a Wolverine cameo for some Hulk vs Wolverine action would be insane That said for Avengers 2 they should maintain focus on the main 4, Hulk, Thor, Cap and Iron Man with others in supporting roles like Widow and Giant Man

Sep 21st 2012, 2:29

Common's actually a decent actor and he's a really nice guy, he's impressed me on Hell on Wheels.

• trist808

Sep 21st 2012, 9:14

@ANPCooper : you are actually completely wrong on that score. Marvel kill off their characters quite easily in the comics, both Captain America and Thor have died in recent years during huge storylines (Cap in Civil War and Thor in Fear Itself) Now admittedly, they always do come back to life/back from the dead somehow, but that said there's no reason one of the big 4 couldn't bite the bullet in a film sequel and give the rest of the team something to truly avenge :)

• nickaldous

Sep 23rd 2012, 9:56

I'd hate to see Spiderman in the Avengers 2! it would give it a more childish look and wouldn't make a suitable certificate for a film which should be a 12A. Spiderman would make it childish and make Disney want to make more merchandise which frankly is just annoying!