Joss Whedon talks Avengers 2 and Guardians Of The Galaxy

"I know what I want to accomplish"

Joss Whedon has taken time out from promoting his low-budget take on Much Ado About Nothing to give an update on the Marvel day-job, including a couple of tidbits regarding The Avengers 2 as well as James Gunn's Guardians Of The Galaxy.

"I enter upon Avengers 2 with a different mindset than I did the first one," explains Whedon. "I feel like I know so well what it is that I want to accomplish, and like Much Ado, I now have a real sense of the troop I’m working with and the strictures and the opportunities."

Whedon has also been keeping an eye on the other projects currently bubbling away over at Marvel, and has been waxing lyrical about James Gunn's take on Guardians Of The Galaxy.

“I’ve talked to [Marvel] about the story from the beginning, and the different drafts," explains the director. "One of the questions they asked me was ‘What do you think of James Gunn?’ And I giggled like a school girl because I was like, ‘Oh, this movie is going to work.’"

“My only piece of advice has been: I want to hear more of James. Let’s pull out the formula. Give me more James. Make it weirder. The only way to achieve that Star Wars vibe is not to chase it – is to try to be an original universe and have all the fun and do all the stuff.

"And James is… he’s perfect for that because even I said, ‘A raccoon?’ And James’s thing was, ‘Here’s the deal. It’s about the raccoon. This is why I love it: because of the raccoon and the tree.’ And I’m like, ‘Okay, that’s the guy you need.’"

Guardians Of The Galaxy opens in the UK on 1 August 2014 with The Avengers 2 set to follow on 1 May 2015.

Which movie are you more excited about? Tell us, below!

Comments

• chibik

Jun 12th 2013, 7:49

So basically, the WTF-factor?

• chibik

Jun 12th 2013, 7:50

So basically, he's in it for the WTF factor?

• chibik

Jun 12th 2013, 7:51

So basically, he's in it for the whiskey-tango-foxtrot factor?

• chibik

Jun 12th 2013, 7:54

Sorry, it looks like I was battling an imaginary spam filter.

• mattburgess

Jun 12th 2013, 9:39

So basically, the WTF-factor?

Jun 12th 2013, 12:24

Leaving GOTG in the hands of the guy who inflicted the Scooby- Doo movies and some of Movie 43. So..safe then.

• trist808

Jun 12th 2013, 13:26

Yeah but James Gunn also brought us Slither and Super, both of which were excellent (IMO) so I'm intrigued as to what he'll do with this. GOTG is not your straight forward superhero type film anyway, so having someone like Gunn at the helm will deliver something a bit different. And isn't that better than just re-doing the same old same old we've seen before? Besides @Hadouken76, it's guaranteed to not have ANY Scarlet Johannson in it :)

Jun 12th 2013, 15:13

Thats true on both points, maybe I was a bit cynical, I'll be on the fence if anyone needs me. :)

• hawkass

Jun 12th 2013, 15:25

So basically, the flux-capacitor factor?!

• trist808

Jun 12th 2013, 15:31

Not cynical at all matey, because I get what you are saying, Gunn is a left-field choice (and God help me I can never un-watch that Scooby-Doo film!!! 10 years on the scars are still painful ...) but for all his faults he may just bring something unique to the Marvel-Movie-Verse ... of course I'm no Dalidab, he could for all I know produce next year's biggest turkey ... so I'm on the fence too, although leaning more to the greener positive side than your good self, but until I see some footage and the cast in action, I'll reserve my judgement and try to shut my inner-geek-man-child up :)

Jun 12th 2013, 19:33

Personally I am not a big fan of Slither or Super but I admire and respect Gunn's weird style. I like the fact Marvel make bold choices when it comes to directors, never in a million years would I have thought Kenneth Branagh would give us a great Thor movie.

• MichaelaVogt10

Jun 12th 2013, 22:42

If you think Edwin`s story is unbelievable..., a month ago my cousins friend who's a single mom basically earned $8658 sitting there thirteen hours a week an their house and the're buddy's mother-in-law`s neighbour was doing this for 3 months and actually earned over $8658 parttime on-line. apply the information from this website. BOW6.COM