Joss Whedon talks Avengers 2 villain Ultron

Exclusive: “He’s a real problem for the Avengers…”

Inside the upcoming issue 210 of Total Film magazine, we’ve got a deluge of incredible exclusives and a complete Comic-Con round-up.

The issue’s out on Friday 2 August 2013, and feature tons of stuff that you’re going to want to check out, not least one Mr Joss Whedon discussing a little film he has on the horizon that’s recently been given the intriguing title, Avengers: Age Of Ultron.

Yep, at Comic-Con 2013 Whedon revealed the subtitle (and in doing so, the main villain) for The Avengers 2, sending audience excitement levels through the roof.

We just so happened to bag an exclusive interview with Whedon after the big reveal, and we grilled him on the new character who’s set to be a nasty piece of movie AI to rival HAL and the T800. You can read the full feature inside the issue, but for now, here’s a sneak peek at what Whedon had to say about the superteam’s new foe…

“I was pitching Ultron before I took the job on the first movie. I was like, ‘I don’t know if I want to do this, but for the second one, you should totally do Ultron.’ Because he’s been a thorn in their side as much as any other character over the years and particularly back in my history.

“He was great. He’s somebody who can juice things up and he’s a real problem for the Avengers. That’s not always easy to find. It’s not like the Vulture is really going to give them a hard time for 20 minutes.”

Avengers: Age Of Ultron is set to open in the UK on 1 May 2015.

For much more from Whedon, pick up issue 210 of Total Film magazine, which hits newsstands (both real, for paper fans, and digital, for tablet devotees) on 2 August 2013.

Also inside the issue, you’ll find full Comic-Con coverage of the likes of X-Men: Days Of Future Past, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Edge Of Tomorrow, Guardians Of The Galaxy, RoboCop, and more, plus Chris Hemsworth, Halle Berry, Lena Headey, James McAvoy and Matt Damon. Seriously, you’re not going to want to miss this one…

Do you think Ultron is a worthy adversary for the Avengers? Have your say below!

Comments

Jul 30th 2013, 14:30

Ultron probably will turn out cool but they screwed up with the Ant-Man timeline, that movie should be part of Phase 2 not Phase 3.

• BobTheSkull

Jul 30th 2013, 16:21

Good call on Stark possibly building it. If Iron Man 3 hadn't ended the way it did, they'd have probably have done something like have one of his suits become sentient or something...

Jul 30th 2013, 16:50

Switching to Stark is a sensible idea. I mean it would make sense for Tony to create an AI like this after the events in The Avengers almost killed him.

• Gindalf0492

Jul 30th 2013, 18:24

Im actually more excited about Xmen Days of Future Past than this. Loki isnt in it, also I m not really a fan with them using Quick Silver. I think Stark could create Ultron but Wish it was Ant-Man

Jul 30th 2013, 18:37

endofdays - good idea, the seeds have already been planted with S.H.I.E.L.D building weapons in the first one.

• Mings

Jul 31st 2013, 0:17

Does no-one else here remember the days when they actually made cinema, as opposed to stuff based on comics? Taking a comic book (essentially a storyboard), cannot be that tricky. I am a huge fan of comics, but all this Whedon-loving fanboy s**t annoys me massively. Perhaps I am not in a good mood, but Joss Whedon may be a spectacularly talented hack, but he is no Hitchcock, Cronenberg, Spielberg, Raimi, Peckinpah or even J.J Abrams. All of these guys made some sort of defining film (depending upon taste), but he cannot claim that. I promise that I am not trolling here and that I love the Avengers, Firefly stuff, and even Buffy (hello Charisma Carpenter).Just think about it as a fan of film and not a fan of Kevin Fiege's wallet

• StevePotter

Jul 31st 2013, 0:29

"Essentially a storyboard"? This isn't a direct adaptation of a graphic novel, most superhero movies take decades of continuity and put a unique spin on them ("Watchmen" being an exception). Believe it or not, "The Avengers" was EXTREMELY tricky, establishing a threat big enough to bring all the heroes together while making sure that the fans of the characters felt satisfied at their amounts of screen time, all while giving them character arcs and distinct personalities. Speaking as a "fan of film", I'm insulted by your patronizing attitude.

• marvelboy

Jul 31st 2013, 18:33

AIM anyone ... either that or Stark, yeah Stark can work

• maypop

Aug 2nd 2013, 12:50

For those talking about Ultron's possible origin why has no one mentioned that they don't have to give a back story to him in this movie. His origin was not covered in his first comic book appearance it wasn't until later that it was revealed who his creator was! surely this is something that could be revealed as part of the Ant Man movie!