Joss Whedon talks Hulk movie

And gives an update on Avengers 2

Joss Whedon has provided another update on The Avengers 2 while also weighing in with his thoughts on the possibility of a standalone Hulk movie.

"Death, death and more death," answered Whedon when asked what we can expect from the next Avengers movie. "I can't do any bigger, so I'm trying to do better."

He went on to discuss the likelihood of a Hulk movie, and had some interesting things to say about the future of the big, green rageball.

"Yes," he answered, when asked if it was possible, "but it would be very, very hard. The problem is he is a very popular character, but he's not a superhero. Half of him is a superhero, half is a werewolf. You can't structure it like a superhero movie.

"The one thing you have in your favour would be Mark Ruffalo. But right now I don't know if they have plans to do that or not, because he works so well as part of a greater whole. By himself, it's tough."

The Avengers 2 opens in the UK on 1 May 2015.

Would you welcome a Hulk movie? Tell us, below!

Comments

• FBMHobbs

Feb 27th 2013, 8:54

I agree, ,,,no need for another Hulk movie....

• ilikescifi

Feb 27th 2013, 11:38

Hulk no like linear narrative

• jordantough

Feb 27th 2013, 12:42

I heard they were planning to do a Planet Hulk storyline but that could be kinda hard to pull off. If it doesn't happen it's all good, plenty more Avengers themed movies the pipeline

• SiMan

Feb 27th 2013, 14:15

It also reads like he's going to be killing some people off in Avengers 2? He did it in Serenity with....well i won't say in case there's still some people who haven't seen it. Needless to say, it was out of the blue.

• BobTheSkull

Feb 27th 2013, 15:33

@SiMan.... not s@!t, it was out of the blue! The second death was one of those 'did that just happen?' moments... was gutted... And I must admit, I was thinking the same thing when he was referring to Avengers 2. But, yeah.... A Hulk film is always going to be horrendous to make. I doubt the Plant Hulk story would ever be committed to film as I reckon it'd take at least 2 or 3 films to pan out without it feeling very rushed.

• RubberJoshy

Feb 27th 2013, 19:21

Two words, 3 films: Planet. Hulk. 3D Avatar-style => Best hulk film ever, best superhero trilogy ever!!!!! Also useful for transitioning to smart Hulk, though it would need to be done after Avengers 2, in fact you could have Hulk being sent to space at the end of that... I repeat: BEST. SUPERHERO. FILM. EVER.

Feb 27th 2013, 20:07

If they ever do another solo Hulk movie I hope they just ask Joss.

• trist808

Mar 1st 2013, 7:49

As much as I'd love to see another Hulk film, with Ruffalo and Planet Hulk would be epic, I feel it would be impractical. In that storyline, which lasted for over a year in the comics (14 issues in total) he spent pretty much 99.99% of the time as Hulk ... which is really cool but the cost of having a CGI Hulk on screen for the entire films' running time, along with all the different alien races and environments would be staggering. As we know the previous Hulk films were not huge at the box office, so doing an Avatar-style trilogy would be a huge commitment to a character that, yes is now popular, however, that's only due to Avengers and who's to say that popularity would translate into another solo adventure? Even one as great as Planet Hulk. His character worked so well as part of an ensemble, maybe that is the best way to keep him interesting and fresh for audiences. Plus if Guardians Of The Galaxy doesn't work next summer, Marvel may stay well clear of any space-set adventures anyway.