Joss Whedon teases new characters for Avengers 2

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch?

Joss Whedon has been talking about The Avengers 2, and has hinted at the arrival of some new additions to the super-team lineup.

“I try not to think of it as topping [The Avengers],” says Whedon. “I try to think of this as its own movie. Sometimes yeah, I feel pressure and by the way, Shane [Black] - not helping! Iron Man 3 - not helping! Because I saw this and man he really got it right.

“But when you're in the story and you're dealing with these characters that you love, that everybody loves, when you've got the new characters sliding in next to them it's very exciting. Then I don't feel pressure, it's like I'm reading my favourite comic.

“It's going really well, eventually someone will explain to me that it's not and pull me out of my bubble,” he continues. “I've been writing and meeting with actors and we're starting to storyboard, all the preliminary processes. This is the part where it's all still fun.”

However, we promised you word of new characters, and sure enough, Joss has been getting his tease on…

"I've got these two characters, two of my favourite characters from the comic book, a brother-sister act. They're in the movie." Who could that be, then? Popular consensus seems to suggest Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, but if you can think of any others, feel free to share in the comments below.

The Avengers 2 opens in the UK on 1 May 2015. In the meantime, you can watch the full interview with Yahoo! in the player below…

Can you think of who Whedon might be referring to? Share your ideas, below!

Comments

• wheezer58

Apr 25th 2013, 19:03

Bring on the Vision!!! My favorite Avenger.

• garethglover

Apr 25th 2013, 22:15

Could end up being Captain Britain and Psylocke if some of the movie takes place in Britain. Plus it would mean he wouldn't have to try and introduce the mutant angle.

• BasedBishop

Apr 25th 2013, 22:47

@endofdays I think I saw somewhere earlier saying that, because of their roles in the comics as Magneto's children and Avengers, both studios hold the rights. I'm not sure if the source's information is accurate though.

• BasedBishop

Apr 25th 2013, 22:48

@endofdays Actually, just did some more reading around and apparently Kevin Feige said: "if [Fox] wanted to use [Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch] in an X-Men movie they could. If [Marvel/Disney] wanted to use them in an Avengers movie, we could."

Apr 26th 2013, 0:19

I think Black and Whedon are equal in their ability to mix tart pop culture zingers with emotional heft in their writing.

Apr 26th 2013, 5:56

Scarlet Witch = Civil War for Avengers 3 ?

• marvelboy

Apr 26th 2013, 9:08

Everyone is one Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch but some Ideas me and my Mates have discussed... 1. Panther and his sister Shuri 2. Namor and Mamorita 3. Johnny and Sue Storm 4. Bishop and Shard. The last two are owned by Fox so not likely, either way the news is interesting. Ps. I like the CaCaptain Britain and Psylocke idea but again I think Psylocke is owned by Fox - All this studio competition is stupid they should just come together and make one epic Movie

• dassiearwen

Apr 26th 2013, 13:27

How about Starhawk and Aleta Ogord? They could be introduced in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie. It seems weird to do Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch without an X-Men storyline with Magneto

• LizzieLoo

Apr 29th 2013, 5:31

I know its a long shot and probably wouldn't happen as they are technically part of the Spiderman universe but I would love to see Cloak and Dagger. Again, they're not biologically brother and sister, but they are so connected that I think it would almost count. Though they are mutants that have been injected with mojo inducing super-heroin, I would still like to see them face up to the Avengers!