Joss Whedon updates on Avengers 2

“Don’t go bigger, go deeper”

It’s been a while since we heard an update from Joss Whedon on Avengers 2, but the main man has been talking to MTV about all things concerning Marvel’s next raft of movies.

“Don’t go bigger; go deeper,” he says of Avengers 2. “All of these people have met, so you have that out of the way. Now you can spend your time just digging in - and by digging in, I mean with a scalpel, to cause pain.”

As for the rest of Phase 2, Whedon confirms that he’s keeping a watchful eye on developments.

“I read all the scripts and I give notes on everything,” says Whedon. “I’ll look at cuts when they’re ready to show me. I’ll talk to directors if they want to. I try to make myself useful without being intrusive. I’ve gotten to be a part of all of them. That’s a dream job for a kid like me.”

And then there’s also the S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show to look forward to…

“You have to bring a bit of spectacle to it,” says Whedon. “It’s got to be bigger than your average cop show. But at the end of the day, it’s about the peripheral people. It’s about the people on the edges of the grand adventures. The whole point of the show is that even with all these big things, the little things matter.”

“It’s about people who don’t have super powers. There will be some people with powers, there will be FX, and there will be the spectacle of science-fiction storytelling - but all played on a very human, small level. That’s the appeal of the thing.”

The Avengers 2 opens in the UK on 1 May 2015.

What do you want to see from Avengers 2? Tell us, below!

Comments

• ilikescifi

Jan 14th 2013, 12:38

I hope some concepts from Firefly and Dollhouse make their way into SHIELD TV. Please cast Summer Glau. Please cast Summer Glau. Please cast Summer Glau. Please cast Summer Glau. Please cast Summer Glau.

• SiMan

Jan 14th 2013, 15:16

@endofdays - agreed. That is my pet-hate, when people say 'make it darker'. I still don't know what that's supposed to mean.

• mattburgess

Jan 14th 2013, 17:22

@SiMan - it means you have to turn up the brightness on your tv if you want to watch it.

Jan 14th 2013, 19:32

As long as they use Thanos I'll be happy.

• rachelsmith77

Jan 21st 2013, 5:35

I can’t wait to see the direction Joss Whedon takes with the new Avengers movie, but so far I am excited at the prospect of going “deeper.” A coworker at DISH and I have discussed how much they can really dig into the group dynamic with this movie. I am so glad that during the wait to see Joss’ next project, I can get my superhero fix with Blockbuster @Home from DISH. With my busy schedule, I couldn’t be happier with how easy it is to get my movies delivered quickly in the mail. But I also love that when I am required to travel for work, I can stream a lot of movies and shows to my tablet. Watching all of my favorite superhero movies again, I am amazed at what Joss accomplished in the Avengers. I can’t wait to see what he does with the sequel, though I expect it will be even better than I can imagine.

• lisaheden