Jurassic Park set for 3D re-release in 2013

They have a T-Rex, don't you know?

We’re usually sceptical over the potential merits of a 3D re-release. The Phantom Menace was a recent case in point, with no amount of flashy visuals compensating for the fact it’s still a poor film. However, we’re willing to make an exception when the film in question is Jurassic Park.

Universal have announced that Spielberg’s original dino-thriller will be getting a 3D refit in 2013, meaning that when that goat comes flying out of the T-Rex paddock, it’ll come flying right into your face.

Producer Kathleen Kennedy spoke to Collider about the potential for a 3D makeover back in December, and from the sounds of her comments, the studio doesn’t plan on doing it on the cheap.

“I’m not a huge proponent of post-conversion,” said Kennedy, “but I think if the filmmaker gets intricately involved in the post-conversion then I think it can be really, really good. I think Jurassic Park is a perfect example of a movie that could work really, really well as a 3D picture.”

“I also think it’s tricky because unless you framed the movie with [3D] in mind, it’s not necessarily going to translate, and so that’s why you’ve got to have the DP and have the director frame-by-frame involved in the process of that conversion.”

Let’s hope that Spielberg feels the same way and gets fully involved in the 3D process. Jurassic Park 3D will open in the States on 19 July 2013, with a UK date to be confirmed.

Would you pay to see Jurassic Park in 3D? Tell us, below.

Comments

• Heisenberg

Mar 16th 2012, 9:38

So it has come to this, instead of Hollywood being lazy and just doing remakes or sequels, they really have lost all effort of trying and are just releasing the same films over again, in the fad of the season that is 3D. Christ almighty. And they wonder why people say Hollywood is dying.

• FBPMurray37

Mar 16th 2012, 9:57

Seems a little pointless to me - especially so soon after they re-released it. It's one of my all time favourite movies. Watching it as a 13-year-old in a packed Odeon in Newcastle, the film blew my mind. The effects were so far ahead of their time and stand up amazingly well for 20-year-old CGI. But the film is damn near perfect - why mess with it? Especially as most of the iconic moments won't really benefit from 3D. i.e. The vibrating water is hardly going to blow anyone's mind in 3D and the 'Objects in the mirrror are closer than they appear' won't benefit either because the T-Rex is viewed through a mirror at that precise moment. Granted the first glance at a Brachiosaur will look cool, but then it's already such a wonderfully stirring moment thanks to the score and Spielberg's perfect tease build-up. 3D won't make it any more so.

• RaveyDaveyGravy

Mar 16th 2012, 11:10

Oh good grief. Will 3D please die and just go away already? I sat (partly slept) through Phantom Menace not noticing the 3D. I had to take my spex off to notice the difference. 3D is just a marketing exercise and I for 1 am sick of it

• MattMaytum

Mar 16th 2012, 11:18

Loved watching the re-release last year, the first time I saw JP still ranks as my favourite ever cinema experience. But I'm really not keen on seeing it in 3D...

• alexr

Mar 16th 2012, 12:59

3D only works when the films using it are made 'specifically for 3D' such as Avatar. Post conversion 3D effects are always shallow and overly subtle (Harry Potter) and I sometimes forget I'm not watching the 2D film. I saw Harry Potter 7.5 twice (2D and 3D) and honestly could not tell the difference - apart from the honking great glasses attached to my face. If you're going to make a movie 3D, shoot it in 3D. If you shoot it in 2D, leave it as a sodding 2D movie and be done with it. Spielberg should know better. Mr Lucas, this goes double for you...

Mar 16th 2012, 20:59

How long before we read " Indiana Jones trilogy to be re-released in 3D." ?

• Kinglee79

Apr 5th 2013, 12:19

Really looking forward to seeing this film in 3D, All the guy's Who put 2 years work into creating this film will be very happy to see the Original Film brought out again to wow the younger generation of kids with new 3D effects.. The first film is still the best Dinosaur film ever made and i will be taking my kids to see it, so they can enjoy it like it did.. There's allot of comments about Hollywood being lazy, but these Films are not just films we throw on our shelf's after watching, they where 2 years work for many many artist's working day and night to create amazing Effects for us to enjoy in our homes or cinemas.. when you build or create something you will always think you can do it better or improve on some aspects of your work, and Steven Spielberg would have said YES! to a 3D version straight away. if you just say leave it alone then that's a lazy attitude to take.