Justin Lin talks Terminator

Director drops out of Highlander reboot

Bad news for fans of the Highlander franchise, as Fast Five director Justin Lin has stepped down from directorial duties on the forthcoming remake. At present he's set to remain on board as the film’s producer.

The director had been attached to the project since 2008, but his star has risen since then and it seems that he’s received a couple of more attractive offers.

First of these is Fast And Furious 6, which Lin confirmed will be his next project in a recent interview with The Playlist. More intriguing however is his involvement with a new Terminator film, on which things are beginning to happen.

Terminator is something I’ve been having a lot of fun with,” said Lin. “Just even this week, I had a great meeting with Arnold [Schwarzenneger] and James Cameron, just sitting down unofficially. And James is so gracious because he’s not part of the project, he’s not going to be producing, but it was great of him just as a filmmaker to take time out to just talk.”

“I don’t know where it’s going to lead,” he continues, “but I never thought at this level I’m going to be able to meet filmmakers and be in situations where they’re that gracious and insightful and so inclusive.”

Schwarzenneger already has The Last Stand on his plate, but it’s heartening to know that the preliminaries are underway on the Terminator project. As for Highlander, it looks like a case of returning to the drawing board…

Source: The Playlist, THR

Which gets you more excited, a new Terminator or a new Highlander? Or neither? Share your thoughts below...

Comments

• FBGMakin

Aug 12th 2011, 12:12

More unnecessary remakes.

Aug 12th 2011, 14:36

Cameron must be secretly sick of these lightweights thinking they can match both his classic Terminator films. Mostow, McG (with fries) and now Lim, the end of the wedge just gets thinner...

• murphy

Aug 12th 2011, 15:39

Maybe he likes it Hadouken,the more sh!tty versions that are made,the better his two classics look!

• Desperation

Aug 12th 2011, 16:41

Continuing the Terminator franchise is fine with me. Nothings ever going to beat T2 (in my top five favourite films ever) but i'm one of the minority of people who enjoyed Salvation and didn't really mind T3, so i'd be happy to see a T5 (provided it is a sequely type thing and not a remake/reboot). As for Highlander. I feel pretty pretty ashamed for saying this but i honestly can't think of a better way of putting it ... there can be only one.

• albongo

Aug 12th 2011, 17:12

I realise I am in the minority, but I would like to see a good Highlander movie. Yes, the first one is a bona-fide classic, but the subsequent movies lacked in quality. I think it is time to remake Highlander if only just to do the concept justice with a quality movie. It needs to be done with style and quality. And with actual Scottish and Spanish actors. I picture Dougray Scott and Antonio Banderas perhaps. I would of course keep the Queen song untouched; as is. What do you guys think?

• murphy

Aug 12th 2011, 17:29

Good call albongo,what about Gerard Butler and Javier Bardem? I love the original too and am usually against all the remakes that are churned out but i think Highlander made with a more modern visual style could work and maybe they could get Muse to do the soundtrack since they owe a debt to Queen anyway.

• Porkchopexpress

Aug 12th 2011, 17:40

Ah you guys have the spirit of Highlander all wrong, you need a Frenchman playing a Scotsman and a Scotsman playing a Spaniard for any kind of authenticity! So with that in mind, Vincent Cassel as McLoud with Brian Cox as the Spanish fellow. While we're at it let's have Dwayne Johnson as The Kurgen!

Aug 13th 2011, 0:37

Hahah love the casting suggestions porkchop. Cox as a Spaniard would be hilarious.

• trist808

Aug 13th 2011, 0:52

Guys, you're forgetting this remake would have to be aimed at the tweenie audience to make money ... so Robert Pattinson as McLoud and Kristen Stewart as Ramierz .... well let's face it, she's practically a bloke anyway ... Ron Pearlman as the Kurgen! Now that would be a good casting choice! lol I am currently off my medication ...

• MadMatt

Aug 13th 2011, 2:26

I applaud those of you with the commonsense to realise that the reason Highlander has endured is because of the total barminess of it all. Although as for casting a Scotsman as a Spaniard, I was under the impression that Connery's character was supposed to be Egyptian and the Spanish identity he has by the time he meets Lambert was the new life he'd adopted, what with him being immortal and therefore ancient? So we need a Scottish actor to play an immortal Egyptian who is pretending to be a Spanish metallurgist. I say Robert Carlyle in Begbie mode.

• llzzmm6

Aug 13th 2011, 3:24

W W W voguebloom C O M UGG 5816-5825 $60 ordan air max oakland raiders $34--39; Ed Hardy AF JUICY POLO Bikini $25; Christan Audigier BIKINI JACKET $25; gstar coogi evisu true je ans $35; coach chanel gucci LV handbags $36; coogi DG edhardy gucci t-shirts $18; CA edhardy vests.paul smith shoes $32; jordan dunk af1 max gucci shoes $37; EDhardy gucci ny New Era cap $16; coach okely Adidas CHANEL DG Sunglass $18; ---W W W(voguebloom) c o m Sunglasses $16 .. Hand bags $35 .. Crocodile 13 U.S. dollars a T shirt, want to buy then please go to this site: W W W ( voguebloom ) c o m W W W(voguebloom) c o m -----