Karate Kid trailer goes live

Doesn’t make us die inside...

Yep, wee Jaden Smith is following in the action flick footsteps of dear old dad (aka Big Willie), and he has a lot to prove with this remake of the much-loved Karate Kid.

Now, the first trailer for the franchise reboot has turned up online.

We were ready to hate it. We sort of maybe don’t. Transporting the original’s “lost boy finds himself through martial arts” tale to China, it puts a thoroughly modern spin on the cult classic.

Set to a new, modern hip-hop beat, this very modern re-telling expands Karate Kid’s horizons and even modernises the final contest smack down to echo modern preoccupations with, well, contests. Did we mention it’s really, really modern?

All in, this new Karate Kid looks less Billy Elliot, more Save the Last Dance with fighting. Which we can live with. Especially as Jackie Chan stepping in for Pat Morita is freakin’ ace.

Don't know the plotline? Living under a rock during the '80s, were we? Well, watch the trailer below to find out more...

Bothered? Tell us your verdict below...

Comments

• Benmorse

Dec 23rd 2009, 11:12

OK, ignoring eggnog inspired editorial fubars, I slammed this when you guys announced it. Having seen the trailer... Things I like: Mini-Smith. Chan as Myagi (I thought it wouldn't work. I was wrong.) Things I hate: LOOK, IT'S CHINA montage. The irritating asian girl love interest, who is in every other western movie involving China. Finally, and most especially, LINKIN f*****g PARK. Really?! REALLY?! I was expecting worse. Nice to see Taraji Henson's agent following up on that Oscar buzz :(

• BassOfDeath

Dec 23rd 2009, 11:29

First off: @Benmorse! It's Fort Minor... Idiot... Mike Shinodas Pet-Project - classified as Hip-Hop... Get your facts straight before posting unnecessary trash! @trailer: It's looking good and I just loved the fly-scene. So perfectly spoofed! :) Typical Jackie Chan Humor! :)

• waylander316

Dec 23rd 2009, 11:35

Uh its not linkin park....it IS mike shnoda from linkin park but its his hip hop side project fort minor.....circa 2005

• tkobird

Dec 23rd 2009, 12:10

Karate is a JAPANESE form of martial arts. The film is set in China and stars Jackie Chan... surely it wouldn't have killed them to call it the KUNG FU KID? I hope they at least address this in the film or else it's c**p from the very start.

• Benmorse

Dec 23rd 2009, 12:23

oh wow. I stand corrected. Before anyone else attempts to internet-hero me to death, yes, it's Mike s**toda. I don't care which of his godawful projects this is, his Dr. Evil style rapping isn't welcome in any film I want to watch.

• mcghater

Dec 23rd 2009, 12:33

@tkobird c**p from the start??? story of your life huh

• ringo69

Dec 23rd 2009, 13:28

why...just why are you arguing about the dam track so much? who cares what music they added into it. mini smith looks a bit wooden in the trailer but hopefully the whole film should deliver if it's got chan in it. fly scene was ace i agree.

• tkobird

Dec 23rd 2009, 13:44

@mcghater... You're cute!

• metalgatesolid

Dec 23rd 2009, 19:12

Firstly... Is jackie Chan beating up kids??? Secondly... Cant believe people are bad mouthing others for getting the artist wrong on the song. Looks Meh to be honest. Never liked the Karate Kid films and doubt ill see this now the trailer has has 0% impact on me. To be honest that trailer sums up the film perfectly...(Sings "Even Rocky had a montage")

• mcghater

Dec 24th 2009, 12:54

awwww thx tkobird

• Adzski74

Dec 25th 2009, 1:06

Bet Will is loving seeing his son in a movie he grew watching the first time around,i'll watch it,just love Jackie Chans humour,as well as the amazing stunts he still manages to pull off,count me in..

• lovlid

Dec 27th 2009, 1:55

I wonder,is the Smith kid gonna get really fat for the third film?