Kevin Feige casts doubt on female-led Marvel movie

Suggests the studio is already overburdened with franchises

The issue of a female-led superhero movie has been on the table for some time now, with Marvel often hinting that such a project might be in the pipeline. However, according to Kevin Feige, this may not happen for quite some time…

“I very much believe in doing it,” begins Feige. “I very much believe that it’s unfair to say, ‘People don’t want to see movies with female heroes,’ then list five movies that were not very good… people didn’t go to the movies because they weren’t good movies.”

“It can certainly be done. I hope we do it sooner rather than later. But we find ourselves in the very strange position of managing more franchises than most people have.”

“You may notice from those release dates, we have three for 2017. And that’s because just the timing worked on what was sort of gearing up."

"But does it mean you have to put one franchise on hold for three or four years in order to introduce a new one? I don’t know. Those are the kinds of chess matches we’re playing right now.”

Sounds like a Captain Marvel or Black Widow movie is still some way off, then, unless Feige is playing a major bluff, and has actually earmarked one of those dates for such a project. Fingers crossed it’s the latter…

What do you make of Feige's comments? Tell us, below!

Comments

• CaptainCrazy

Aug 4th 2014, 11:30

Like they like it or not, Marvel is now the leader with regards to superhero blockbusters, and should set an example to the industry. They MUST make a good female-led film and pave the way for others to follow.

• CaptainCrazy

Aug 4th 2014, 11:31

Gaah, I wish the comment section had an edit function.

• rogerstenning

Aug 4th 2014, 11:48

As CaptainCrazy above says, a good movie should be made. Seems to me that the problem with the last few female-led superhero movies, was that they were frankly rubbish. This means that any new super heroine movie must be made with a darn good script, a good director, and so on. A god cast would be handy too, of course!

• endofdays2

Aug 4th 2014, 12:45

I'm going to throw this out there and it may sound kind of sexist but is not meant to be in any way, shape or form but the fact is that fans of superhero films like the heroes to be male. Elektra, Catwoman both failed miserably and not just because they were female characters admittedly but if those same characters were male you can probably bet a lot more fans would have gone to see them. If they did an X-Men Origins: Storm or X-Men Origins: Rogue or a Catwoman film with Anne Hathaway, again I think they would bomb. I'm not trying to say all superheroes should be male, but there are good reasons why a standalone Wonder Woman film hasn't been made and unfortunately, as sad as it is, it seems it is because people lean towards stereotypical hero types which generally tend to be male and of a certain type. Let's be honest, would a female Thor bring in as much box-office as a male one?

• FilmWaffle

Aug 4th 2014, 14:59

@endofdays2 I think we should ask a certain 44 per cent of attendees who helped Guardians make a massive $94m in US box office over the weekend if they would like a decent female superhero film... that 44 percent I'm referring to was the female audience... I think the answer would be a resounding yes!

• jocksnide

Aug 4th 2014, 15:58

I'm still holding onto a dream that Superman Vs Batman will have a female Robin thrown in.

• CaptainCrazy

Aug 4th 2014, 16:05

I'm going to point to the obvious here, but good (blockbuster) films whether the lead is a woman or not should make money. See Bridesmaids, Hunger Games, Divergent for recent examples. Electra and Catwoman came out during the period when studios thought their audiences were too dumb to know better. Marvel and the Nolan Trilogy showed them what an intelligent filmaker can do with a franchise.

• lynnsure

Aug 4th 2014, 17:19

I liked this article the first time it was published by Slash Film on Aug. 2 and written by Angie Han. I'd link but it won't let me.

• endofdays2

Aug 4th 2014, 17:59

OK Filmwaffle, break the stats down for me. From the 44% of females that went, what percentage were going with their other halves who wanted to see it? How many were single girls going in a group? We can all talk stats but unless you break them down properly they mean nothing. @CaptainCrazy - I agree totally that good films should win out but sometimes it doesn't work like that. Divergent and Hunger Games are both Young Adult series of books directed at teenage female audiences yet are both still trumped by the Twilight saga with a male lead. My wife (luckily) loves comic book movies but (shallowly) doesn't mind a bit of Hemsworth, Downey Jr, Evans, Renner, Cavill, Jackman and Bale. However if she asked me to go and watch a female superhero, I'd not be inclined to watch just for a bit of eye candy unless it was something I'm interested in in the first place.

• RAClements

Aug 4th 2014, 18:16

Bringing up Catwoman and Elektra is a non argument. By that logic, we can never get a good superhero with a male lead becasue of Dolph Lungren's Punisher, or Steel starring Shaquille O'Neal. Those movies did not work because they were bad movies. I think that Marvel studios the difference between good and mad movies. However - I disagree with Feige. While I don't think that Black Widow is a strong enough character to carry a movie, Captain Marvel or She Hulk certainly are.

• Rexasaurous

Aug 4th 2014, 18:22

@endofdays2 I couldn't disagree more. To try to wave away the female audience by implying that many were only there because of male partners is ridiculous. By that logic, there could be an even 50/50 and you could still claim that women are only there because the men in their lives wanted to see it. There is a cycle, which of course is that male led superhero movies draw in more men than women because men are the ones being represented on the screen. If more women go to see these movies, people will argue that women like them enough not to need female led movies. If less women see these movies, people will argue that there's no point in a female led movie because women won't go to see these kinds of movies. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Looking online I see an awful lot of the online "fandom" for the marvel movies is dominated by girls and women. From what I've gathered these people would all very much like to see a female led superhero movie. Why shouldn't they get one? Granted, they're a relatively small part of the overall market, but if something considered "risky" like Guardians of the Galaxy can make this kind of money on its opening weekend then there's no excuse not to at least try. There are plenty of male led properties, nobody is going to take them away from you. But as a woman who loves comic books and the MCU, and who also has nieces who all love The Avengers (we had two little Black Widow costumes this past halloween, and one Kate Bishop...) then I say that frankly, your wife doesn't speak for every woman and you don't speak for an entire fanbase. There is demand for a female superhero movie, and considering Marvel went and made GotG when there was little to no demand for an adaptation of that particular property, then there's no reason not to do it.

• RAClements

Aug 4th 2014, 18:31

^^^ Need a LIKE button for this, Rexasaurous!

• endofdays2

Aug 4th 2014, 19:19

So Rexasaurus, if you accept that I don't speak for an entire fan base then you need to accept the same and that not everyone has female relatives dressed in superhero costumes. I'm wondering why you seem to think that I'm against a female led superhero film? Nothing is further from the truth but the point I'm making is that there is a good reason why it hasn't been done already and if it has, why it has failed? Studios aren't idiots, they know the target market has to be there otherwise there is limited or no profit. I'm not trying to "wave away" anyone, you've taken my point completely out of context and I don't know where your argument about GotG comes in as it is a mainly male-led film based on a comic with stars such as Chris Pratt, Bradley Cooper and Vin Diesel. The only risk is that the characters were not as famous as ones in previous Marvel films. It isn't a matter of "why shouldn't they get one", it's a matter of why it's not being done and that's the point I'm making. If it were about deserving an audience, I'd have Unbreakable 2 and Dredd 2 being made, 2 films that deserve sequels but probably won't get them.

• CaptainCrazy

Aug 4th 2014, 20:08

Talk about zeitgeist. Sony just announced a female led superhero film. Like I said above, Marvel has shown they know the genre and should lead the pack before another studio kills what could be groundbreaking.

• Rexasaurous

Aug 4th 2014, 22:06

I unfortunately have a night shift but I'll finish up by saying that, while I may have misunderstood you, it certainly seems like you were hand waving the success of female led movies and even the female portion of the audience for this movie (the 44% apparently made up of the partners of men, and teenage audiences for the hunger games or Divergent somehow less worthy due to the "male led" Twilight making more). I'm not looking to argue, but it gets incredibly tiring when people who are represented constantly in the superhero genre (white men, usually) insist that anything else simply wouldn't work despite never trying, or blaming badly made movies on the female characters who led them instead of the fact that they were badly made. It's easy to think representation doesn't matter when you're the one being represented. I'm sure you can imagine.

• GarthMarenghi

Aug 5th 2014, 0:29

I honestly don't see why a female-led superhero movie is considered a risk by studios. Women will like having a strong character to identify with, and men will enjoy ogling an attractive woman in a skin-tight costume. Win-win.

Aug 5th 2014, 0:40

It's only a matter of time. I have a feeling we might get a Black Widow spin off before Ms Marvel, Scar-Jo's box office returns for Lucy have shown that she's now become a draw and that she can carry a film as a lead.

• QuietLife

Aug 5th 2014, 8:11

I always thought of Serenity as a female-led movie that bordered on superhero. It does bear a striking similarity to Guardians for tone/setting. More than anything though, I believe a (even small) ensemble of leads works best.

• Chufferstud

Aug 5th 2014, 10:05

Since when did we allow women to leave the kitchen? What next, a Batman Vs Superman film, that will never happen.

• slipperyeel

Aug 5th 2014, 10:31

Those Resident Evil movies are "female-led" and make boatloads of money.....and those movies are just awful. I would imagine Marvel would make a better quality movie than those, so I'm all for it. But what Feige says is right - they have so much going on with the franchises they have now, they don't have the time or money (yeah, right) to focus on anything else. Why move away from what are proven cash cows to something that's a risk? GOTG and Ant-Man are big enough risks.

• hanoliverypa34

Aug 6th 2014, 12:02

my classmate's ex-wife makes $79 every hour on the computer . She has been laid off for 9 months but last month her check was $21770 just working on the computer for a few hours. check here >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> W­W­W.J­u­m­p­­62.C­o­­­m

• MrOrange

Aug 7th 2014, 15:37

I wouldn't mind a Black Widow spin off. Maybe an origin story? I think a problem with female led superhero films is that the writers always sexualise the women and put them in tight leather outfits. If they stay away from these cliches and stereotypes and have a great story to tell then I'd be more than happy to see more female-led superhero films.