Kevin Feige talks Guardians Of The Galaxy

Promises it won't end up like Green Lantern

Poor old Green Lantern. Not only was the Ryan Reynolds-starring actioner a box-office flop, it now seems to have become a lesson in how not to bring a sci-fi-heavy superhero film to the big screen.

Kevin Feige has been speaking about the use of CGI in both Iron Man 3 and Guardians Of The Galaxy, and stresses that the latter will dodge the pitfalls of the DC film.

"Iron Man 3 has as much CG as any movie we’ve ever made, and I hope it doesn’t feel like Green Lantern," says Feige. "It’s all about the aesthetic you go for.

"Already we have an art department as impressive as any art department I’ve ever seen in London on Guardians. And it’s, you know, designing things and believing that they’re real when part of the team’s made up of a raccoon and a tree."

Green Lantern's CGI was one of the most problematic parts of the movie, with the space-set scenes feeling hollow and unbelievable. With Guardians set entirely in the outer reaches of the galaxy, it's good to know that Feige and co. are conscious of avoiding that same issue.

Directed by James Gunn and co-starring Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana and Dave Bautista, Guardians Of The Galaxy will open in the UK on 1 August 2014.

Any Green Lantern apologists out there? Speak up, below!

Comments

Apr 26th 2013, 11:56

I may be in the minority but I honestly don't think Green Lantern was that bad.

• ilikescifi

Apr 26th 2013, 12:27

it's not that hard to make a film set entirely in space look dimensional and believable, Kubrick, Scott and Lucas did a fine job 30 years ago. apparently a good story helps

• zxcomplex

Apr 26th 2013, 15:23

I agree with Ali1748, Green Lantern wasn't a bad film at all. I would like to see another installment at some stage.

• SiMan

Apr 26th 2013, 17:32

I think there was a good film hidden underneath the one we got. If they'd just tweaked a few things, like scrapping the opening voice-over intro and introduced the Lantern corp differently - maybe having those numpry aliens who freed Parralax be the ones to convey their fear at a Lantern catching them in that quarantined zone and Hal should have been transported to Oa as soon as he said the oath (which should have been solely with him, as in the trailer, instead of intercutting it with that alien/doctor hybrid thingy) - I'd welcome another installment though.

• SiMan

Apr 26th 2013, 17:33

*numpty aliens

• marvelboy

Apr 26th 2013, 18:08

I like Green Lantern too. Made a change to have a superhero film which was easy watching. GOTG however I think will be out of this world. Excuse the pun !

Apr 26th 2013, 21:30

Sorry but Green Lantern movie was pants, I don't mind cheesy and light (see Sky High for how it should be done), as long as the characters are well written, but everything on GL seemed rushed. The characters were under written to the point where I cared less about them the more the movie went on, the CGI was shockingly dated, the villian wasn't evil enough, he just grew a big head and threw some generic people around for a bit . It took Hal Jordan about 5 minutes to defeat Parallax. I had high hopes because Martin Campbell is genius director who successfully rebooted Bond TWICE.

Apr 27th 2013, 15:55

Green Lantern > Iron Man 3 yup I said it.