Kiefer Sutherland talks 24 movie

Filming could begin in April

Kiefer Sutherland has taken time out to discuss the status of the long-awaited 24 movie, with the actor revealing that filming could begin at the end of April if all goes to plan.

“The status on the movie is that, hopefully, we will be shooting the end of April, beginning of May,” confirmed Sutherland at the Television Critics Association Winter Press Tour, before going on to discuss what shape the film might take.

“I see it as a continuation,” explained Sutherland. “The script that we’ve got right now, which I’m very, very excited about, is relatively a direct continuation. It’s within six months from the end of the last episode. We’ll see where it goes from there.”

Meanwhile, the star was also able to confirm that the film will depart from the traditional real-time structure of the television series.

“It’s two hours, representing 24 hours,” revealed Sutherland. “The movie is not in real time. It’s a two-hour representation of a 24-hour day.”

All being well, we should be able to watch Jack Bauer torturing all and sundry on the big screen at some point in 2013. Get ready for another rash of those irritating CTU ringtones as soon as this one is confirmed…

Is a 24 movie a good idea, or should they leave it as a TV show? Tell us your thoughts, below.

Comments

• seethisif

Jan 9th 2012, 12:46

Like all TV shows that are made into movies, this is likely to fail, however I am a big fan of the show and I would really love to see it succeed. I imagine the film could be very similar to that of the video game (although, and I won't spoil anything, it was a little unrealistic in comparision to the TV show's storylines). My dream would be to be an extra on this film as rumours have it (mainly from Total Film - brown nose) the film will be set in Europe. I'll be sure to keep my eyes on the latest developments through Total Film (I laugh because I don't even work for Total Film....yet) and then hit the extras agencies like...[enter funny line here].

• tomparfitt17

Jan 9th 2012, 13:12

I am really looking forward to the film. I love the TV show and am currently watching series one again and I'm loving it. However, I'm not sure how the 24 hours into 2 hours will work. I was kind of hoping for something like 24: Redemption where there is just 2 hours represented out of the 24 hour day, because 24: Redemption worked really well. But I can't wait for the film as it's been a long time coming and i'm sure it will be a huge success.

• SiMan

Jan 9th 2012, 14:02

24 is probably my all time favourite tv show and i would love to see it on the big screen, but have they left it too long now? Wasn't the last episode in mid-2010? If they do go ahead with the movie I also don't think that it should be done in realtime. Surely its all about the characters and the situation. The idea of it taking place over a 24hr period sound good way to go.......wonder what they'll all it though?

• demmike

Jan 9th 2012, 14:04

I'll be in me fecking grave and ghostbusters 3 will be £2.99 in the bargain bin before this movie ever feckin comes out lads

• Murphy0806

Jan 9th 2012, 14:11

@seethisif. "A little unrealistic compared to the TV show's storylines"? WTF? The TV show was hardly realistic. What the hell did you have to do in the game? Stop Keith Chegwin opening a portal to a dimension full of Kim Bauers?

• RaveyDaveyGravy

Jan 9th 2012, 14:30

"Stop Keith Chegwin opening a portal to a dimension full of Kim Bauers?" - could happen. But it would still be less unrealistic than your average 24 plot. I'd love to see it, but like demmike I doubt it'll ever happen

Jan 9th 2012, 16:19

It wont be called 24, it will be called '2'.

• seethisif

Jan 9th 2012, 21:56

@Murphy0806 Well, I suppose you haven't heard of suspension of disbelief.... anyway, the plot line of the video game was you had to stop terrorists using an earthquake 'machine'. It is like I said, in comparison to the TV show, that is a tad unrealistic. 24 was one of those shows that stood apart from the rest because it dared to do something a lot of TV shows at the time dared not to (have a continuing storyline that demanded audiences come back every week) and it came out on top. I have a long list of reasons, but for even just for that, it earns my respect. You could nitpick all day about any film or tv series that is unrealistic (all of them are)...you do that and well, you become the guy at the back who shouts out 'he's behind you' at the cinema screen or the one that never enjoys anything because they expected something more...

• seethisif

Jan 9th 2012, 21:58

I'm actually half joking half not on that. I really love 24 but I can see 1) you were joking and 2) you are half right. Comparing it to other shows at the time 24 was on though, 24 gripped people more.

• Indianabones

Jan 9th 2012, 23:34

I enjoyed upto season three, and then I realised that the same formula is used over and over again, its still good TV and I wouldn't get excited about a movie anymore. Think the time has passed unfortunately

• Murphy0806

Jan 10th 2012, 1:39

I am indeed joking. No-one would want to reach a world full of Kim Bauers. Unless you had a mountain lion to fend them off of course. I did actually watch all of the series of 24 though but I agree with bones, the third was the last decent one. It had the same problem that most american series have, too many episodes in too many series. Saying that I will watch the film but it's more of a started so I'll finish thing.

• joker16

Jan 10th 2012, 2:40

I've heard the new terrorist is a rather obnoxious obese fellow going by the name of... oh do I even have to say it?

• geronekarol

Jan 10th 2012, 7:00

Great fan of Kiefer Sutherland and really very excited for the new releases. vpn

• geronekarol

Jan 10th 2012, 7:02

Great fan of Kiefer Sutherland and really very excited for the new releases. [url=http://vpn4all.com/]vpn[/url]