Len Wiseman talks Total Recall

Exclusive: The director on Colin Farrell and Arnie

Total Film recently caught up with Total Recall director Len Wiseman, and we took the opportunity to grill him on the differences between Colin Farrell and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

In this year’s remake of Total Recall, Farrell takes on the role of Douglas Quaid, made famous by Arnold Schwarzenegger in Paul Verhoeven’s original.

On the difference’s between Farrell and Arnie’s Quaid, Wiseman told us:

“One of the main things that’s different in this version is a vulnerability that I really wanted the character of Doug Quaid to have.

“Colin got himself in wicked shape for this film but I didn’t want the focus to be ‘Who’s going to be the next Arnold replacement?’.

“When it first surfaced, every WWF wrestler was linked to it, and that was the opposite direction of the way I wanted to go.”

When we asked how Total Recall would compare to his other films, Wiseman responded:

“It’s about five times as large. We’ve got something like 1,800 visual-effects shots.

“Even though I still do as much practically as possible, it’s still an enormous visual-effects film. It’s the most ambitious movie I’ve ever done.”

For more from Len Wiseman on Total Recall, get the new issue of Total Film magazine, which hits newsstands today, and comes with four awesome free posters!

Get Total Film magazine on iPad and iPhone from Apple Newsstand.

Check out a full preview of Total Film magazine – issue 193!

Are you keen to see how this adaptation of the Philip K Dick short story will differ from the original? Drop us a line!

Comments

Apr 13th 2012, 17:27

How will compare to his other films? Put it this way, what worse than a catalogue of sh*t?

• FBJRider

Apr 13th 2012, 22:45

I like the use of Farrel instead of someone like Schwarzenegger, I think the way he's just thrown into this life means he should look more like a normal person rather than a sack of nuts.

• garyu2

Apr 14th 2012, 10:11

So the best thing about Wiseman's new movie is ...... "1,800 effects shots". Wow. The big sell. Skip character development, tension and plot... go straight to the laptop for some effects. Still looks utterly charmless (talentless director, Farrell, Biel, Beckinsale...all dull) with no real attachment for the viewer. Wont be a patch on the original.

• Indianabones

Apr 14th 2012, 13:05

Think we all have a big effection for Arnies films, even the terrible ones, I can imagine a lot of Arnies films would have been awful without him, and I would include Total Recall...... maybe this will be ok, the trailer looks alright, but that can happen....... I will go into this with an open mind.....if not i will go back and watch Arnie with the three boobied woman.....might even try and read the actual book its based on

• L2489

Apr 15th 2012, 0:24

****RING'S OVER RING'S**** hi this the,SIS,the CIA,and the F.B.I.,and the Secret Service is Steve still with you Guy's**t 2278 ****RING'S OVER RING'S OVER RING'S**** YOU KNOW WHAT SPAD'S TABLE CRACKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• L2489

Apr 15th 2012, 0:31

I said hit 2278 I didn't put sparkles on that,try Mark Martin MotorSport's msn.sports on Google search on my last comment lol that ill say matched,Armand ****** has a Due coming in on an attachment on this last comment here I wrote with the ************RING'S OVER RING'S************ YOU KNOW WHAT SPAD'S TABLE CRACKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• FBSHarrigan

Apr 15th 2012, 7:39

This should be an interesting remake with updated technology. Hopefully the visual effects will not make it impossible to see the film underneath. Part of the charm of the first movie was how silly certain things looked. Hopefully it can preserve the experience of the story within all the flash of computers. It will be difficult for anyone to match Arnold's charm, but a more serious Total Recall could be a good thing. http://www.videodetective.com/movies/total-recall/1109

• L2489

Apr 16th 2012, 7:15

****RING'S OVER RING'S**** hi this is the SIS,the CIA,and the F.B.I.,and the Secret Service is Allen Osborne still with Guy's**t 42873-112 ****RING'S OVER RING'S OVER RING'S**** YOU KNOW WHAT SPAD'S TABLE CRACKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• L2489

Apr 17th 2012, 3:27

Uhm Let's have some Fried Turkey at JT's the Paragon with Gorbechev,BUABUA BUAM BUA BUABUABUAMBUAM!!!!!

• L2489

Apr 17th 2012, 5:35

OOUU ARNOLD OOOUUU ARNOLD LIKED LEN ON SOME COMEDY AND CUTE OOOOUUUU,AS I PUT CARROT TOP IN TEARS ON WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE FOR COMEDY IM COMIC **** ***/*/*/*/*,I CAN START WITH IT'S JOB OR ATTEMPT ARMED FALSE IMPRISONMENT **** ***!!!!,UHM WHAT ELSE SO CAN I **** OFF AND *** IN YOUR FACE FOR 20 DOLLARS NO SWEETIE 40,BRING ME A HIGHER LOVE ALL JAMES CAMMERON ! ! ! ! !,UHM IT COST BRIAN'S LIFE THESE SINGING THE BLUES MOMENTS 3 SESSIONS WITH SEEING KATE THAT'S ON JOHNY THE BARRELS AND YOU KNOW GREG GORMAN AND PUTIN SAVED ME FROM NATURAL LIFE ! ! ! ! ! ^TAKES OFF IN CHEVY WITH THE PARAGON ALL SECURED^

• L2489

Apr 21st 2012, 4:58

no no we are going to get this Coffee here ohh yea Perrier Allen Osborne and writen perfect in Tom Cruise's starpulse from Google search uhm etc.,uhm what im trying now uhm we looked at Patrol outside of Club ***** and my friends store of a friend of mine that image very Artistic images around there.We are looking for the Absolute Tabocco Pipe of Jerry Murphy's uhm mmm and Uncle Armand and a few other noted on my Bolts at the Volt and notes we do not have to go any further,ohh there was a Goe-Tee issue on the Person of Interst show,you fogot the full umminty Pardonhave some Aquilselzer UUUHHH/)/)/)/)/) ok ok Len understands whats going on,Where going to get that Tabocco Pipe ! ! ! ! ! ohh theres Genuis all over it.Ohh man what Lamp and uhm mmm squats on that Federal Transit ohh you see all of us body Hell Kitchen ! ! ! ! ! transferring a normal *** ! ! ! ! ! edgy CRACKER ! ! ! ! ! with a writ ohh those Agents do not play ! ! ! ! !