Loki will not appear in Avengers 2: Age Of Ultron

Tom Hiddleston talks villainy

We've heard plenty about the new characters set to join Avengers 2: Age Of Ultron, but there will also be some absentees, with Tom Hiddleston confirming there will be no room for Loki in the forthcoming sequel.

“[Loki’s] not in it," says Hiddleston. "Here’s the thing: I don’t think there’s anything else Loki could contribute to The Avengers, narratively."

"Joss gave me so many wonderful things to do in that first film that we’d only be trying to repeat ourselves, and probably less well in the second one.”

“When I think of all the things I loved as a child," he continues, "Hans Gruber wasn’t in Die Hard 2. And in Indiana Jones, by the time he moved from the Lost Ark to the Temple of Doom, there was a whole new bad guy."

"I think keeping it fresh and new is good for The Avengers even though it’s a shame for me. And let’s face it, there’s seven or eight of them as it is, and Joss is thinking about adding two more, so the screen’s gonna be a busy place. But I had the time of my life on that film. It was the most fun ever.”

We'd have to agree with him as to the benefits of a change in antagonist, and yet Ultron is going to have some very big boots to fill. Avengers 2: Age Of Ultron opens in the UK on 1 May 2015.

Would you like to see Loki return further down the track? Tell us, below!

Comments

• chibik

Aug 6th 2013, 6:56

Hiddleston is being very rational about it – I like that.

• FBAPedersen

Aug 6th 2013, 9:13

Good thing. Too bad the X-Men franchise seems unable to get rid of Magneto. Talk about lack of creativity..

• maryjanepotson

Aug 6th 2013, 11:46

I'm so disappointed though...Loki is my favourite character. He could've at least had a cameo!

• BobTheSkull

Aug 6th 2013, 12:30

Hiddleston is just awesome. He is definitely one that loves his work and grounded in reality. He doesn't want pigeonholed either, but still remembers, and is grateful for Loki putting him so firmly in the spotlight. Did anyone watch his appearance at Comicon as Loki, introducing Thor 2 reel? It was brilliant!

• muradmilne

Aug 6th 2013, 12:43

Obviously Loki will die in Thor 2. Redeem himself right at the end by saving his bro/the day.

Aug 6th 2013, 17:48

I wouldn't object to a brief cameo. Perhaps Loki and Thanos in the credits sting? Loki ain't dying this is Disney/Marvel, they didn't even have the balls to keep Coulson dead.