Mads Mikkelsen drops out of Thor 2

Marvel are back in the market for a villain

Thor 2 has suffered a casting setback, with Mads Mikkelsen revealing he won't be able to take on the role of the sequel's chief antagonist due to unforeseen scheduling conflicts.

Mikkelsen had reportedly been in discussions to play the film's big bad, but Marvel moved too slowly, and the Danish actor was snapped up by NBC to join forthcoming prequel series, Hannibal.

"Yeah, that’s not happening unfortunately," said Mikkelsen of his involvement with Thor 2. "I had a meeting with them, but they were a little too late. And then Hannibal came in, and everything just came in the same period, so now it’s not happening."

It's the second time Marvel have lost out to Hannibal in quick succession, with David Slade vacating the director's chair for the forthcoming Daredevil reboot in order to helm the show's pilot. The property currently has a script ready and waiting, with Fox looking to find a replacement as soon as possible.

As for Thor 2, it looks like it's back to the drawing board as far as casting is concerned. That said, Tom Hiddleston is already set to reprise his role as Loki, so at least there's one sneeringly malevolent presence guaranteed to make an appearance...

To watch the whole Thor cast (including Tom Hiddleston, Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman and more) chatting about Thor 3, workout tips, Avengers 2, Loki additional re-shoots, and the TF team discussing the highs and lows of Thor: The Dark World, just watch our videos below...

And for more Thor awesomeness, you should check out our Thor: The Dark World - 50 Best Moments feature. Just click on the image below to get started...

Who would you like to see replace Mikkelsen? Tell us, below!

Comments

• FBJRider

Jul 13th 2012, 11:33

They need a big bulky guy so he can play the Executioner and then hire someone hot like Alba as Enchantress, then we have a film on our hands. The third one introducing Surtur and Beta Ray Bill. Boom there's the Thor trilogy for you.

• SiMan

Jul 13th 2012, 12:54

Surtur would be an impressive villain for the screen. I hope they can introduce a different big bad to Loki though. He is a brilliant villain and Hiddleston plays him wonderfully, but after Thor and the Avengers it'd be good to see someone else bringing the conflict into Thor's life..

Jul 13th 2012, 14:07

I have no idea what has just been said, I just like big hammers :D

• MikeyRix

Jul 13th 2012, 15:45

^^ That's what she said.

Jul 13th 2012, 16:02

I hope this means Mads might be free to play Mance Raydar in Game Of Thrones.

• anant

Jul 13th 2012, 17:05

@hadouken76 my sentiments exactly

• jamiebates

Jul 14th 2012, 9:02

@Ali1748 if he had to leave this due to prior TV commitments he's hardly going to be able to join GoT

Jul 14th 2012, 18:18

One can dream :-(

• Gridlock

Jul 18th 2012, 18:26

Tom Hiddleston really showed off his acting chops in his performance of Loki in “The Avengers.” I thought his deranged persona was perfect for the level of threat that was coming for the team, and he held his own against his big brother. Actually, Thor is probably my second favorite movie of all time. I imagine this movie will work into the second Avengers movie too. I love going to see the big movies in the theatre, but I also love watching them on my home theater, and my Dish co-worker comes over to watch with me. Since I have Epix 1 in HD, I watched Iron Man 2 and Captain America. I get the best quality my theater can produce when I watch Epix, 1080p, and that makes all the difference with my 90-inch projector.