Man Of Steel storms to top of US box office

Sets new June record

It looks as though Warner Bros' barrage of promotional material has done its job, as Man Of Steel comfortably topped the box office in both the UK and the US.

The film raked in $113 million in the US, taking it to $125 million in total following Thursday night previews. It’s the biggest weekend take for any June on record, topping Toy Story 3’s $110 million back in 2010.

Man Of Steel also scored big in the UK, taking $17.1 million of the film’s $71.6 million worldwide non-US haul, well on the way to covering the film's $225 million budget.

The film’s commercial success will be a big relief to Warner studio bosses, having already set the wheels in motion for a second film, with Zack Snyder and David S. Goyer set to return.

It should also increase the chances of a Justice League movie, particularly if the film continues to perform well. Man Of Steel is out in cinemas now.

Have you seen Man Of Steel yet? If so, what did you think? Tell us, below!

Comments

• mattburgess

Jun 17th 2013, 11:37

I was hugely disappointed by this film. All flash and no substance. Can't discuss it more without mentioning loads of spoilers.

• Benben05

Jun 17th 2013, 11:45

mattburgess - I totally agree, massive disappointment in my opinion, I have to say coming out of the cinema I felt exactly the same about Man of Steel as I did Superman Returns!!. What a shame.

• RaveyDaveyGravy

Jun 17th 2013, 11:48

not seen it yet, but it will be a massive surprise if ZS has made anything deeper than the sheet of A4 its written upon

• Azazeal4eva

Jun 17th 2013, 12:43

I really Enjoyed it, didn't find it confusing, and though that's how to do a relevant modern take on superman. If you want a more fun Super Man go and watch DEAN CAIN! serious doesn't mean dark and moody, it means that the situations and actions have consequences. For me the first 10 mins were what John Carter should have been like

• apo1978

Jun 17th 2013, 12:57

3 stars! My review.... The first half starts off really well - a fun (Star Wars-esq) opening set on Krypton followed by the pre-requisite scenes of a young Clark Kent going through growing pains (all via flashback). Henry Cavill looks the part and is a decent Supes - yeah, I was really enjoying this. Then, the last hour becomes so overblown and bombastic its as if Snyder swapped the Director's chair with Michael Bay! The action quickly becomes monotonous and boring as Superman battles the baddies through ENDLESS destruction of buildings and the same plot as Transformers 3. The film doesn't give itself a chance to breathe - smash smash SMASSHHHH! Going for a "realistic" serious tone about an alien who wears a cape is always going to be tricky and the film suffers for this too. Batman works, as he's basically just a guy - but here, well, the juxtaposition of realism and fantasy just doesn't quite sit right. Superman is a hard hero to crack. Still, there is enough entertainment here for a bit of fun - just don't expect it be as super as it thinks it is.

• SiMan

Jun 17th 2013, 13:03

Have to say that i thoroughly enjoyed it, however, it is by no means the best Superman film that they could have made, so in that sense it was a little disappointing. I don't think the structure with the flashbacks was handled particularly well either. Seemed a little disjointed with theorder they were shown.

• mattburgess

Jun 17th 2013, 13:06

SPOILERS - Apparently it's okay if you kill a few million people in Metropolis, but Superman only gets angsty if you try to kill a family of four right in front of him. Man of Steel dealt with absolutely no consequences.

Jun 17th 2013, 14:01

SPOILER - I spilt my tea on the carpet. That never going to come out.

Jun 17th 2013, 14:39

Can we keep the spoilers and reviews for the actual review page please.

• YTWhitemanson

Jun 17th 2013, 14:57

heavenly times for comic fetishists. you'll run out of sperm and there is still so many sequels to spray at. guardians of the galaxy are even going to have some green boobs! load your cannons boys!

• anant

Jun 17th 2013, 15:22

i thought the film was okay, was disappointed by my own high expectations i guess. i have a query though, if anyone would be kind enough to answer it. the second half was no doubt transformers 3, but the first half kind of reminded me of Prometheus. especially the conversation between jor-el and lara lor-van, when she says he will be an outcast and jor-el says he will be a god to them, plus that whole krypton scene reminded me of Prometheus or is it just me? and krypton also kind of reminded me of vulcan or again is it just me?

• spid2411

Jun 17th 2013, 20:44

I agree with mattburgess and Benben05 - this was one of 5 films I was really looking forward to this year and I was very disappointed. Lost in there was a really good film with fine performances, particularly from Kevin Costner and Michael Shannon, but all their fine work was blown off the screen by a ridiculous second half that looked terrible despite all the hype about how "awesome" the effects were. CGI needs to be used with restraint - its like all good art. It is merely a tool to create an effect and if overused (or used without real style) just comes across as a very tiresome computer game. The last 50 minutes of this movie were just plain boring - anyone with even a modicum of intelligence will lose interest and what I find actually quite offensive about this movie is that it ends up treating us like we all have s**t for brains. For a film that took over 2 years to make, that was written by Christopher Nolan (loved his Batman stuff and Memento) and directed by Zack Snyder (Watchmen was great) I think what they have produced is really very poor. I expected so much more of them.

• spid2411

Jun 17th 2013, 20:48

Oh, and I wont be bothering with the sequel now. Especially since I have learned that Warner Bros made 170 million before the film was even released through product placement. Now I understand the weird bit with the girl holding her Nokia phone up to the screen - do they think we are all f*****g stupid? Is this the new attempt at planting subliminal messages in our heads or something? t***s. And if they make a Justice League movie I will be rubbering that too.

Jun 17th 2013, 22:35

I think theres a lot of disappointed people simply because the hype could never measure up to the end product, otherwise known as Prometheus syndrome. They built and built and built everyone up to something that was always never going to match expectations,. To be fair, it was good entertainment, yes it was a bit humorless (hopefully the next one with Lex Luthor will address that), and the ending seemed a bit computer gamey ,, and they messed up the Clark and Lois relationship completely. But there was some good moments. Nothing will ever top the Donner classic, but this one was a VAST improvement on the mopey Superman Returns, there was a ton of action and the best bits weren't in the trailer.

• chibik

Jun 18th 2013, 6:35

@Hadouken76: It's a good thing I watched Prometheus without having been exposed to the hype, then. Enjoyed it a lot more than most people, apparently. This Superman flick, though? I'll probably watch it because my fiancée wants to, but I doubt it'll live up.

• HughFran

Jun 19th 2013, 7:31

My God Hadouken76, would you ever give over about Prometheus? You really have a chip on you shoulder about that movie. Back to this movie: It was a slow burner at the start and kind of jumped around a bit but it started to find it's feet once Clark Kent got comfortable in his Supes outfit. Some of the fight scenes were a little over the top (wow, that is a LOT of exploding buildings) but some of the others where awesome (the scene where he fights Faora - whom I'm now in love with - and the big tall Kryptonian fella). The opening scenes on Krypton were okay but I guess they needed to be included for the new generation that might not know the backstory. But overall I very much enjoyed this movie.