Mark Hamill gives an update on Star Wars: Episode VII

Will the old gang be back?

Mark Hamill, Luke Skywalker himself, has given Entertainment Tonight an update on the status of Star Wars: Episode VII.

The latest high-profile Star Wars rumour suggests Harrison Ford will reprise his role as Han Solo in the next adventure. In a recent interview, Hamill confirmed that the original cast were in talks to reprise their roles, although no contracts have yet been signed.

“They're talking to us…” Hamill stated. “George [Lucas] wanted to know whether we'd be interested. He did say that if we didn't want to do it, they wouldn't cast another actor in our parts - they would write us out. … I can tell you right away that we haven't signed any contracts. We're in the stage where they want us to go in and meet with Michael Arndt, who is the writer, and Kathleen Kennedy, who is going to run Lucasfilm. Both have had meetings set that were postponed - on their end, not mine. They're more busy than I am.”

He went on to add, “And another thing I'd want to make sure of is are we going to have the whole gang back? Is Carrie [Fisher] and Harrison [Ford] and Billy Dee [Williams] and Tony Daniels, everybody that's around from the original [returning]? I want to make sure that everybody's on board here, rather than just one.”

On Luke’s role in Episode VII, Hamill speculated, “I'm assuming, because I haven't talked to the writers, that these movies would be about our offspring - like my character would be sort of in the Obi-Wan range [as] an influential character.”

Hamill also ensured his place in the fanboys good books by championing practical effects, and calling for a balanced use of CGI.

Directed by J.J. Abrams, Star Wars: Episode VII - [Subtitle To Be Announced] is set to open in 2015.

Would you like to see Luke Skywalker as an Obi-Wan figure? Talk to us, below…

Comments

• FBLClarke

Feb 20th 2013, 17:55

I hope this doesn't turn into a Star Wars version of The Expendables. No offence to Hamill et al.

• ericwillard

Feb 20th 2013, 18:14

Clarke is kinda right but, Mark said he could only see them as mentors and not the stars. If it was the Jacen/Jaina storyline, I'd see it. That also allows for Boba Fett to train Jaina later. (If you know the story, then that's NOT a spoiler) haha

• SiMan

Feb 20th 2013, 19:02

Glad to hear him championing practical effects. The CGI was too much in the prequels - but my main issue with the prequels was that i thought Lucas over-used the Jedis and the Lightsabre. Don't get me wrong, I think the Light-Sabre is arguably the coolest fictional movie item of all time, but in the original trilogy if you look back it is used sparingly in the grand scheme of things and added an extra element of mystique to the duels between Luke and Vader as they were the only ones using them in the film's universe at the time. The prequels though - Lucas had them being whipped out every other minute and by every other character. I'd rather he limited their use to some key fight scenes.

• AlfredsDream098

Feb 20th 2013, 20:38

This movie does seem like it is being handled very well. Everyone seems to know what they're doing and no one is being forced into negotiations.

Feb 20th 2013, 22:21

Mark is the only one I'd be happy to see return.

• parochial1

Feb 21st 2013, 2:24

The irony that the 1977 film looked more realistic and tangible than the prequels never escapes me! What would I like to see? Let's see some locations in a crumbling republic. A Luke Skywalker turned into a corrupt bureaucrat and using the Force for cheap parlour tricks. A Han Solo and Leia running the Cantina in Mos Eisley singing "Master of the House" while fleecing Jawas of their hard-earned Credits. C3PO is a rusted ornament, and R2D2 has been pimped out by Westwood. Lando is selling used speeders and Wicket rules the Republic. Chewie isn't there after losing out in the Wookiie Bating Scandal of the post-Imperial meltdown...