Mark Hamill talks Star Wars: Episode VII

Says he has had meetings with George Lucas and Kathleen Kennedy

Much of the talk surrounding Star Wars: Episode VII has revolved around the potential returns of Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill, although none of that trio have been officially confirmed as yet.

However, Hamill has revealed that he has had several meeting with both George Lucas and Kathleen Kennedy, and while stopping short of confirming his involvement, he has said that Fisher is definitely on board.

“Part of me is cautious,” confides Hamill, “saying ‘let well enough alone, let everyone keep their nice memories if they have nice memories and don’t try to go back and do it again.’ But the other side of me, the adventurous side, thinks, ‘if everyone’s in, how could I miss this?’

“I want it to be age appropriate, so heavy on the Jedi mind tricks and lighten up on the lightsaber duels,” he continues. “Let the kids do the heavy lifting.”

Having spoken to Kennedy about how the series might progress, Hamill revealed that one of his concerns was that the new films should not be too dependent on CGI.

“There’s nothing wrong with CGI, but I think you have to have a balance because the camera perceives the width and the depth and the weight of a miniature or a model.”

However, it seems that the presence of Michael Arndt on screenwriting duties has convinced him that the next film will be one worth returning for.

“It always starts with the script,” says Hamill, “and that’s why I’m so encouraged by Michael Arndt’s involvement because I respect his writing so much. He’s a big fan of these movies, so hopefully we can make something that doesn’t make everyone want to find us, cut off our heads and throw it right in our faces.”

Directed by J.J. Abrams, Star Wars: Episode VII is expected to arrive in UK cinemas in 2015.

Would you like to see Hamill return to action? Tell us, below!

Comments

• matthewbishop

May 7th 2013, 9:34

I don't think they look like their younger selves anymore. Honestly, after 38 years (counting the release date) how could anyone expect to look like their younger selves. Or to put it another way, I honestly think they could find look-a-likes that would look more like our 'memories' of Luke, Han and Leia than the real actors do. Then get the real actors to do ADR or something. Yeah, that'll work...

• GFoley83

May 7th 2013, 9:54

"cut off our heads and throw it right in our faces" ??? Ehhhhh.... yeaaaahh ok Mark. You fruit-loop.

• ilikescifi

May 7th 2013, 12:28

I hear they'll all be in the films but not as major players, just part of the handover....i'm more interested to see who they'll cast as Mon Mothma

• Jaffa

May 7th 2013, 13:18

Somewhat encouraging words. It would defiantly be interesting to see Luke take on the Ben Kenobi type of old jedi role and have that come full circle. But I still think it will take something really special to raise this from cinematic curiosity to truly great film.

• ilikescifi

May 7th 2013, 13:22

I think the new film will open with Luke or Leia going missing or being abducted, starting a new chase, and when we find him/her - at the end of the first or (preferably) second film - the audience will have a fit of recognition because they will identify with the characters trying to find the missing legacy character - and a new dark side will be behind it somehow

May 7th 2013, 16:13

I just hope Mark grows a beard for the role as he looks badass with one.

May 7th 2013, 17:40

Star..Wars? I assume this a big deal in the movie world.

• kyledenny

May 9th 2013, 0:18

Hadouken76 You've never heard of STAR WARS!? You can't be serious. "May the force be with you." "Luke I am your father." None of those strike a cord with you? It's the most famous movie franchise there is.

• alexr

May 9th 2013, 8:32

@kyledenny He was being VERY sarcastic.

• RAClements