Mark Millar confirms Kick-Ass 2 will shoot this summer

Also gives an update on American Jesus

Kick-Ass 2 has been in the pipeline ever since the first film revealed its cliffhanger ending, but only now have production details been officially confirmed, with Mark Millar telling The Daily Record that filming will begin in the summer.

Millar is the man who penned the Kick-Ass comic books, and so is well placed to give an update on the film. “We shoot Kick-Ass 2 and American Jesus this summer,” he told the newspaper, before going on to elaborate on the latter project.

“It’s the reverse of The Omen,” he explains, “which is about a kid who finds out he is the anti-Christ. This is a kid who finds out he is Jesus Christ.”

We’re still waiting for confirmation as to whether Matthew Vaughn will return to the director’s chair for Kick-Ass 2, although the director himself has admitted it’s unlikely. However, that doesn’t preclude his involvement on script or production duties, so we’ll keep our fingers crossed.

No word on cast or crew for American Jesus either at this point, but if filming is set to begin in a few months time, presumably some announcements will be on their way sooner rather than later…

Do you want a Kick-Ass sequel if Vaughn isn't involved? Tell us, below.

Comments

• JamieTSB

Feb 20th 2012, 14:29

Yeah, that'll do. I enjoyed the first one, it gave me hope that some companies can be novel. They can shock, and they can be tongue in cheek.

• mcghater

Feb 20th 2012, 14:35

well its about f u cking time

• trist808

Feb 20th 2012, 15:52

Oh, this is fantstic!!! It's made my s****y Monday afternoon a lot brighter with this news. I met Mark last Feb in Glasgow and he was really nice to chat with and excited about doing the second comic book series and a sequel to the film. So glad this is finally going ahead, next year's line up just got better :)

• trist808

Feb 20th 2012, 15:53

*fantastic! ... damn these banana-hands!

Feb 20th 2012, 16:25

I'd rather just leave Kick-a*s as a one off.

• ChrisWootton

Feb 20th 2012, 16:31

Yeah I'm with Ali1748.

• mcghater

Feb 20th 2012, 16:39

chris and ali can you elaborate as to why

• trist808

Feb 20th 2012, 17:37

Have you guys read the second comic book series yet? Give it a try ... then you'll want a second film :)

• ChrisWootton

Feb 20th 2012, 17:47

Personally speaking, I really enjoyed Kick a*s but on repeated viewings I didn't think it held up to the 5 star extravaganza that most of the media heralded it to be. I thought that it tied up the whole story and universe perfectly in the first movie. To me, the main appeal was the idea that "what if there were real life superheroes with no powers getting beaten up etc" it's a fantastic premise that has been covered with one 2 hour long, good movie. I just don't think it warrants another movie. I'm sure the comic books are great and have carried the story on well but.. well, it's been done now. Also, Matthew Vaughn was one of the great things about the first one and, as stated, is doubtful to return. Why not just concentrate on the American Jesus which sounds like another original, punchy story. I'm sure that it would make some cash (maybe not as much as the first but then that has never stopped anyone before), but I just wouldn't be interested in seeing a sequel.

• MikeyRix

Feb 20th 2012, 18:59

Excellent! Loved "Kick-A$s", so, so glad the sequel rumours are real. Hope Vaughn does return to direct, I'm starting to like his directorial output. :D

• FBJRider

Feb 22nd 2012, 13:28

Best news I've had in all of my life.

• FBSWright22

Feb 23rd 2012, 13:07

Finally !! But I think this is only going to work if Matthew Vaugn & Jane Goldman come back to produce and write it. And you can't have Kick a*s 2 without Chloe Moterz :)

• FBSWright22