Mark Millar explains Matthew Vaughn’s X-Men departure

They are beginning work on Secret Service

Matthew Vaughn’s sudden departure from X-Men: Days Of Future Past came somewhat out of the blue when it was announced last month, but finally an explanation may have come to light, courtesy of Mark Millar.

“What we’re doing is that Kick-Ass 2 is filming now, and next year we’ll start production on Secret Service which I did with Dave Gibbons,” says Millar. “Matthew and I have been talking about that for years.

“We thought Matthew was going to do X-Men first, but we found out there were actually a few imitators of Secret Service in the works… People are always trying to rip you off. Somebody will start to work on a spec screenplay about your idea.”

“There are three other projects I know of now about a James Bond kind of guy taking a street kid and turning him into a spy. Three screenplays were already going through Hollywood about this! So Matthew and I said, ‘Fuck this. We’re not letting anyone steal our ideas.’”

Which kind of puts paid to the rumours that Vaughn had dropped out in order to direct the new Star Wars movie. Still, at least fans of Millar and Vaughn’s previous work will now have something to look forward to…

Meanwhile, X-Men: Days Of Future Past opens in the UK on 18 July 2014.

Are you disappointed by Vaughn's X-Men departure? Tell us, below!

Comments

Nov 8th 2012, 16:39

So you decided to rip off Bessons' Nikita before anyone else did? Nice.

• FBJRider

Nov 8th 2012, 17:55

I'm not disappointed tbh. His departure means we get Bryan Singer directing. He's the only one that's directed a great X-Men film.

Nov 8th 2012, 19:01

I don't buy it, as if Vaughn would leave X-Men for an obscure graphic novel.

• trist808

Nov 9th 2012, 8:42

@Ali1748 ... Kick-A$$ was obscure and look how that turned out. I'm reading Secret Service as the issues come out and it's really good, it will make a cracking film and it's a project of passion for Millar and Vaughn. But then if it was the other way around and he'd left SS for X-Men he'd get ribbed for that and be called a sell-out for going for the bigger project, so either way I guess some people just feel the need to bleat.

Nov 9th 2012, 20:28

trist - Mathew didn't leave X-men 3 because of Kick-a*s that came afterwards.

• trist808

Nov 9th 2012, 23:45

I know that, Vaughn left X-Men 3 and made Stardust, I'm aware of the chronology, you're missing the point I'm making :)

Nov 10th 2012, 20:12

I understand your point I just struggle to see Vaughn leaving behind a huge franchise for something that size.