Mark Ruffalo talks Hulk spin-off

"I'd love to have him do his own movie."

The Avengersare bearing down on cinemas nationwide, and in advance of their grand arrival, Mark Ruffalo has been discussing his role as the Hulk. More specifically, he's been discussing the possibility of a solo movie…

'I was a comic book fan when I was a kid and I always loved the Hulk," says Ruffalo. "When The Incredible Hulk, that show, came on, I would not miss that. And so if I was going to find myself in that world, this would be the guy that I would be most interested in doing."

"To make a very short answer long: Yeah, I'd love to have him do his own movie." And as for his work on The Avengers, Ruffalo is proud to have entered a very exclusive club…

"I've been having a lot of fun with the Hulk motion-capture stuff," he explains. "The only distinction that I hold is that I am the only actor to ever play Banner and the Hulk. So I've been working a lot with ILM … no one will be able to blame ILM fully if this Hulk doesn't work!"

Ruffalo also went on to describe how Bruce Banner fits into the team, particularly focusing upon his relationship with Iron Man.

"We're trying to bring out this charm in him, and maybe this idea that he wants to be a superhero," he says. "I mean, he looks at Stark and he's like, 'That's the dude who did what I was intending to do. He's the model. He made it work.' So Banner and Stark have a very cool relationship in the movie."

The Avengers opens in the UK on 26 April 2012.

Would you like to see another solo Hulk movie? Tell us, below.

Comments

• peter

Apr 13th 2012, 12:29

..." I'd love to have him do his own movie." I think you are on your own there Mark

• jhonny84

Apr 13th 2012, 12:42

Go and do a 3 hulk movie mark u will make everyone proud roll on avengers

• jhonny84

Apr 13th 2012, 12:44

Up to now we have hulk and incredible hulk part 2 we need part 3 and now we have the right actor to do it so go on mark give us the hulk 3 HULK SMASH lol

• SonnyRF

Apr 13th 2012, 13:13

@jhonny84 Hulk and The Incredible Hulk are 2 entirely different movies, set in different universes, The Incredible Hulk isn't a sequel.. The Avengers continues from the storyline of The Incredible Hulk, where Edward Norton played Bruce Banner, Ruffalo plays the same character.

Apr 13th 2012, 21:32

Peter, erm I doubt that very much.

• FBJRider

Apr 13th 2012, 22:53

I like the look of Ruffalo as the Hulk but I'd have to wait till I see the Avengers before I make my mind up whether I'd like him to have his own film (not that it matters whether I want it or not). I mean we've already had two Hulk movies in the 21st century so Ruffalo will have to be pretty spectacular if people want there to be another Hulk film.

• trist808

Apr 14th 2012, 17:37

I think once you've seen Ruffalo as Banner and more importantly as The Hulk, you'll be more open to the possibility of an Incredible Hulk 2 film. I've seen The Avengers, but I'm embargoed to speak about it at the mo, so I can't tell you if it's a good or bad film, but I can hint (I think, they said we could tweet this stuff) Hulk is just one of the many good things in the film. And Dalidab, good call on Red Hulk possibly featuring in a film, especially when you consider who Big Red's alter ego is and even more so Red She-Hulk's identity (won't spoil that for any non-comic book readers who might not even be aware there's more than one Hulk in the Marvel Universe at the moment). A second film, set in the current movie universe, which explores the Hulk's extended family could work really well I think, would love to see Planet Hulk get the big screen treatment, but that might be running before you can even crawl, it would be ambitious to get that made. But Ruffalo would be excellent if given a whole film to himself :)

• Flynners

Apr 14th 2012, 20:30

A Hulk film would be great as long as its in the current marvel universe. I couldn't handle another origin story or reboot of another established character, why go through spider-man's origin again already. we'll have to spend the first half of the film waiting for him to be in full swing again only a few years after the last film. It would be cool to see an already established hulk in his own film, less reluctant to hulk out and smash sh*t from the film's beginning. Also, the Banner/Stark dynamic sounds kinda interesting.

• FBSHarrigan

Apr 15th 2012, 8:14

It seems far too soon to be talking about a Hulk movie before the Avengers film even comes out. While the most recent Hulk was a decent, superheroes will need a bit of a rest after the Avengers. Hopefully this franchise will be spared bad sequels. These films are so good, it would be a shame to add poor extra films to bog it down. If the writers get tired they may run out of ideas, and everyone knows what happens when a super hero movie is starved for good ideas. http://www.videodetective.com/movies/hulk/212684