Mark Wahlberg will star in Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune

David O. Russell directing

Mark Wahlberg

Mark Wahlberg has confirmed rumours that he will be playing Nathan Drake in an adaptation of video game Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune.

The actor was first linked to the adap earlier this month, and has now confirmed that he will be re-teaming with his The Fighter director David O. Russell for the film.

“David is one of the best writer/directors I’ve ever worked with,” Wahlberg tells MTV. “The idea that he has is just insane. So hopefully we’ll be making that movie this summer.”

As if to prove that this won’t be another Max Payne misfire, Wahlberg is keen to add that both Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci are currently negotiating to co-star.

“I’m obviously in whatever David wants to do but the idea of it is so off the charts: De Niro being my father, Pesci being my uncle. It’s not going to be the watered-down version, that’s for sure.”

Uncharted follows Drake, who is searching for the lost treasure of El Dorado with the help of his friend Victor and a journalist. Will it become an R-rated shoot-em-up? Or a PG-friendly Indy wannabe? We're more concerned that Wahlberg generally corpses when he's a movie's lead. Fingers crossed he can pull this one off.

Will Wahlberg make for a good Drake? Or think Nathan Fillion should've got the role? Tell us below...

Comments

Nov 25th 2010, 10:16

Funny how the character was based on Nathan Filliion, named after Nathan Fillion and everyone and thier mother wants to Nathan Fillion to play him, but the chimps in Hollywood opt for the star with a charisma bypass..

• QuietLife

Nov 25th 2010, 10:47

Hadouken76 - I couldn't have put it better myself! What a total farce. They should be ashamed!! Grrrrr.

• kilroy0097

Nov 25th 2010, 12:30

I guess they wanted someone was more suited for action movies and was a bit more serious. And also since Wahlberg has done Max Payne he was probably looked at immediately to do another movie based on a game. I can see him in the role. I think Nathan Fillion should at least have a cameo or something. Fillion has the charisma in spades but just not that rugged criminally connected look to him. Wahlberg has that and the physical ability to pull off the action sequences you know the film is going to have in large amounts. Honestly the idea of Fillion doing all those fight and gun scenes kind of makes me chuckle. It would have to include wise cracks every few minutes just to make it interesting. This isn't Firefly after all. It's more like Indiana Jones meets National Treasure meets the Mummy or something like that. Brendan Fraser was probably in the line up for possible choices as well just because of the Mummy. On a different note Brent Spiner kind of looks like Victor "Sully" Sullivan I think.

• 10yearsofbang

Nov 25th 2010, 22:29

I was excited about the thought of this movie. Especially when Nathan Fillion and David Boreanaz were rumoured. Even the voice actor who does Nate in the games probably deserves a shot. But not now, not like this. Mark Wahlberg is alright but he doesn't have the natural comic timing required like Fillion shows in Firefly and to a lesser extent Boreanaz in Bones. Well done Hollywood for ballsing up another perfectly good idea. Sometimes the fans are right.

• 10yearsofbang

Nov 25th 2010, 22:40

Forgot to add. I can't see De Niro and Pesci anywhere near this . Sounds like desperation on the producers part. " Mark, tell them De Niro or Pesci might be involved or failing that we're going to use a pulley system & CGI to dig up Brando for the role of Sully"

• Jeffbiscuits

Nov 29th 2010, 9:21

At least Marky Mark's not doing the Crow remake anymore.:)

• JohnJDuffy

Nov 29th 2010, 13:56

Why does everyone w**k over Fillion on this site? He's not that good