Marvel officially confirms Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olsen for Avengers 2

They’ll play Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch

It has been an open secret for some time now, but Marvel has finally given official confirmation that Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olsen have been cast in The Avengers: Age Of Ultron.

The duo will play brother and sister double-act Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, who will join Iron Man, Hulk and co. for their second big-screen outing.

In the comic books, the pair are the children of Magneto, although given the rights issues that exist between Marvel and Fox, that backstory will be glossed over here.

Power-wise, Quicksilver is (surprise surprise) superhumanly fast, while Scarlet Witch possesses the ability to control probability and cast various spells. We imagine they’ll fit in just fine…

Olsen and Taylor-Johnson will first be seen together in 2014's Godzilla. Read what Taylor-Johnson had to say about Quicksilver when we spoke to him previously.

Directed by Joss Whedon and co-starring Robert Downey Jr., Chris Hemsworth and Chris Evans, The Avengers: Age Of Ultron will open in the UK on 1 May 2015.

What do you think of the casting? Tell us, below!

Comments

Nov 26th 2013, 11:41

Please about Aaron Taylor for Quicksilver, disappointed about Olsen as Scarlet Witch.

Nov 26th 2013, 11:47

Unless they recast Scarlet Witch with either Alison Brie or Mary Elizebeth Winstead I ain't going to be happy.

• apo1978

Nov 26th 2013, 13:27

I'm actually more pleased for Olsen. I like ATD, but he's Kick-A$$ and I'm not sure it the best descision to cast him in another superhero role. I know it should bear no relation, but it'll be like "Oooh thats Kick-A$$!"

• apo1978

Nov 26th 2013, 13:27

Bugger, I mean ATJ!

• Chufferstud

Nov 26th 2013, 13:30

I fully appreciate that Marvel have the right to add these characters in, but it all seems a bit silly when they are strongly linked with an Xmen character. I can't help thinking they have done it to shove two fingers up to Fox.

• trist808

Nov 26th 2013, 14:19

@apo1978 ... yeah, coz everyone sat there and shouted "Oh no, what's The Human Torch doing in the Avengers" when they saw Chris Evans as Captain America in The Avengers last year... Quicksilver is as far removed from Kick-A$$ as you can get visually and as a character, I don't think people will get confused .... and @Chufferstud, it's the other way round. Whedon announced very early on that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver would feature in Avengers 2, it was shortly afterwards Fox announced Quicksilver would appear in DOFP. It's widely regarded they did it just to stick it to Marvel and Whedon. And here's a bit of trivia for you, although he is connected to the X-Men universe he was never a member of the X-Men. Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, X-Factor and a few other groups, but he's never been an actual team member of the X-Men themselves ... do you know what team he has served on the longest? The Avengers - for over 30 years he was on their roster (well on and off), so Fox can do one :)

Nov 26th 2013, 17:34

Chuffer - I actually think it's the other way round. When you hear Joss talk it's obvious he has great effection for these characters and has wanted them to be a part of the Avengers since he got involved with the franchise. Fox on the other hand seem to be shoehorning Quicksilver into DOFP just so they can beat Marvel to the punch, if they really liked that character I don't see why they've waited until the 7th X-Men (I am including Wolverine's outings) movie to utilize their rights to Quicksilver.

• chibik

Nov 27th 2013, 6:20

I'm pretty sure ATJ won't look anything like Kick-a*s as this character.