Marvel releases alternate opening to The Avengers: watch now

And S.H.I.E.L.D. confirmed for Marvel TV series

The Avengers has previewed a new deleted scene from its forthcoming Blu-ray and DVD release, taking the form of an alternate beginning to Joss Whedon's superhero smackdown, just as more news arrives on Marvel's spin-off TV show, S.H.I.E.L.D.

The new scene follows on from the events of the film's final act (setting up the rest of The Avengers as a flashback), showing downtown New York in a state of serious disrepair. The action then cuts to S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Maria Hill, being interrogated by her superiors in the aftermath of the battle with the Chitauri.

As she fields various questions about the event, some of Hill's misgivings about Nick Fury's methods come to the fore, and the divide between the two colleagues is made clearer than it ever appeared in the theatrical release.

Take a look at the new scene, below…

While the theatrical release's opening seemed to work fine to us, this alternate scene does a good job of establishing the great odds the Avengers will find themselves up against, and even places a seed of doubt in the viewer's mind as to whether they emerge victorious or not.

To check out a whole wealth of deleted scenes and behind the scenes material, you can snap up The Avengers when it arrives on Blu-ray and DVD on 17 September 2012.

And in Marvel TV show news, Deadline is reporting that ABC has ordered a pilot for S.H.I.E.L.D., which will be written (and possibly directed by) Joss Whedon, alongside alongside Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen. Production is expected to begin imminently.

What do you think of the alternate opening? Tell us, below!

Comments

• ChrisWootton

Aug 29th 2012, 8:19

I thought that the beginning of the movie was one of the weakest moments. After setting up all the avengers in their own (or someone else's) movies, this one starts with a character I hadn't seen before, who actually was not built upon for the rest of the movie, involved in some high octane cgi chase scene. I wondered if I'd walked in to the wrong the movie at first.

• nettricknowan

Aug 29th 2012, 12:34

Not gonna watch the clip but thanks. I'm hoping there will be an option on the DVD to watch all of the deleted scenes as part of the full film not as individual scenes--the way I feel the movie SHOULD have been released.

• ilikescifi

Aug 29th 2012, 13:59

Agreeing with chriswootton, just rewatched The Avengers at home and the opening scene is very poor, almost like a lesson in how NOT to open a film. The deleted scene here makes much more sense, adds a knowing tension rather than a confusing car chase. All of the deleted shots also look far more cinematic, clearly the DOP intended them to be establishing shots and the 3d would have been awesome, as opposed to the murky poorly lit uninteresting 3d in the Loki arrival scene

• ilikescifi

Aug 29th 2012, 14:00

Deleted scene didn't need the hulk roar tho

• FBJRider

Aug 29th 2012, 15:19

I've been looking at the release of the DVD and according to most websites it seems that the DVD release doesn't have all the extras that the Blu-ray has. What's that about? If it's true I don't think it's very fair to make people spend however much it costs for a Blu-ray player just for one film. I really want to see all the deleted scenes and Item 47.

Aug 29th 2012, 15:30

I can't wait for my Blu Ray to arrive. And I am sorry people Blu Ray players aren't exactly expensive so stop being tight and get them already !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• wygit

Aug 29th 2012, 16:39

@FBJRider: I felt the same way for a long time, but it's just something you're going to have to deal with. I ended up getting a Blu-Ray for Avatar (of course) and bought the Blu-Ray version of Sucker Punch because in both cases the extended versions and features were Blu-Ray only. For most movies I still just get the DVD version because the picture quality isn't THAT different (to me) AND because I hate how long it takes a Blu-Ray disc to get to the start of the flipping movie.

• KingofSpain

Aug 31st 2012, 3:39

@ChrisWootton @ilikescifi You're both incorrect regarding the opening scene with the chase c**ncenring an "unknown" character. Loki is heavily featured in the movie Thor and is even seen courting the Cube in the post-credits scene. So to say the opening scene of the Avengers fails because of featuring a new character, well, that's just plain wrong.

• ilikescifi

Aug 31st 2012, 11:06

@KingofSpain, i saw the movie thor, read my comment properly.

• KingofSpain

Aug 31st 2012, 12:28

@ilikescifi, you said you agreed with the OP, and he's clearly incorrect. Plus, chris doesn't like the idea of the first scene of a franchise movie focusing on a new character, but then the alternate opening is exactly that! Confused.com

• ilikescifi

Sep 1st 2012, 2:48

Hello @KingOS I hear what you're saying and you are right but you're missing the point. I agreed it was a weak start, but not for the reasons @chriswooton proposed. I have no problem with the opening scene introducing a new character, that's why I said I liked the alternate one. @chriswootton did not say he preferred the alternate opening, he just said he didn't like the existing one. In any case I'm more interested to read your thoughts in the actual article that your thoughts on whether or not my comments are factually correct

• ilikescifi