Massive Avengers superhero cameo spoiler revealed

Jenny Agutter reveals huge surprise...

If you hate spoilers, click away now as this is a bit of a major one. Seriously, if you want to go into Joss Whedon's Avengers unspoiled, close your eyes right now. Then attempt to navigate your way off this page. We wish you good luck.

Because we love comic-books at Total Film we're eagerly anticipating the Avengers.

Not least because it's the first superhero flick to combine Marvel's biggest characters into one movie, in the grand tradition of the comic-book crossover.

And it looks like Whedon is lining up the ultimate movie crossover, throwing in a character we hadn't expected to see until a distant Avengers sequel.

According to Jenny Agutter, the first Avengers flick will feature a surprise appearance from Marvel's greatest superhero. That's right, your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man.

"I’m sworn to secrecy. I wasn’t allowed a script until I got there, and when I did I felt like a complete child being on big sets and a huge parking lot full of Winnebagos," Agutter told The Radio Times.

Agutter went on to say one of those Winnebagos was reserved for Iron Man and one was for Spider-Man. We imagine it's red and blue, and contains a fridge full of flies and science books.

Now, Agutter's statement does make our spider-senses tingle a little bit - after all, Sony owns the rights to Spider-Man's big screen adventures, and Marvel owns the Avengers, so the studios would have had to draw up some fairly complicated contracts to make this happen but the fact this is a Joss Whedon film gives us hope.

This is exactly the kind of awesome Joss brings to his projects, and we really, really hope he's pulled it off.

And surely Sony wouldn't pass up a bit of free promotion / goodwill for The Amazing Spider-Man, which is out a couple of months after Avengers

Either way we can't wait to see The Avengers. Now more than ever. Excelsior!

Excited? Tell us!

Comments

Jan 24th 2012, 17:48

Now that would be pretty cool.

• filbert77

Jan 24th 2012, 18:37

Me - don't look, you'll just regret it and get anno *click* HOLY s**t NERDGASM.

• Tarantino3011

Jan 24th 2012, 19:25

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THAT IS SOOOOOOOOO AWESOME!!!!!

• YorksProp

Jan 24th 2012, 20:40

Meh not sure if it's needed. Big fan of spiderman but not sure how he would fit in given that Amazing Spiderman is out after Avengers and is an origin story. I'm massively looking forward to this film anyway so this doesn't add anything for me.

• StevePotter

Jan 24th 2012, 20:51

He won't be in any other movies unless the Amazing Spider-Man bombs horribly, convincing Sony to give the rights to Marvel.... Fingers crossed.

• FBAWalker

Jan 24th 2012, 21:04

This story

• FBAWalker

Jan 24th 2012, 23:16

This story is garbage. Totally false. It's basically illegal for Marvel Studios to show or even allude to Spider-Man. Anyone ever think that this lady is just off her rocker?

• JamieCollins

Jan 25th 2012, 0:41

I thought both Spiderman and The Avengers were filmed on the same set, so this may explain it. I hope she's right though, cause being a big Joss Whedon fan I think he could actually pull this off. The more ridiculous the better in my opinion.

• theruffler

Jan 25th 2012, 8:47

Is it just me that thinks this film is building itself up to be THE biggest movie disappoitnment of all time? Just can't picture how all these different characters are going to fit into a coherent plot shorter than 4 hours. Too many cooks etc etc. Just me? Oh. I'll get my coat.

• Indianabones

Jan 25th 2012, 10:00

Maybe a way around getting Spidy into this is by hiring Andrew Garfield, calling him Pete/r and have him in plain clothes.......... its a cameo, they don't need to say/do anything we will all know ;) and I think I would geek out a bit from that

• Firedragon76

Jan 25th 2012, 12:36

I hope this is not true or what's next? Wolverine, Superman and The Green Hornet dropping by Wayne Manor for a game of poker? I agree with JamieCollins though - if someone is able to pull this off, it's Joss Whedon.

• SiMan

Jan 25th 2012, 14:19

@Firedragon - not to be too overly geeky, but Wolverine is Marvel, so couldn't appear with Supes, green hornet and Batman for a game of poker. Plus Superman isn't allowed to gamble. He cheats. Sorry. With regards to the Spidey cameo - i agree with FBAWalker - i thought marvel studios didn't own the rights to the screen version of Spiderman, or the Xmen (although don't know about Xmen for sure) - I personally love it when you get little cameos in movies, so the more the merrier for me.

• Firedragon76

Jan 25th 2012, 14:47

@SiMan: I knew that would happen ;-) I expected to get schooled about the Batman/Superman connection though, so you did manage to surprise me in a way.

• FBAStrezev

Jan 25th 2012, 16:47

This trailer was sick! The Film Informant did a nice writeup on The Avengers...

• alexr

Feb 1st 2012, 17:50

It doesn't matter if one studio owns the rights to one character and another studio owns another. If the Studios agree (and swap a couple of million greenbacks) ANYTHING is possible. Besides, the Sony Spider-man movies have no bearing on the Marvel Cinematic Universe (Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Avengers etc) so bringing in a character like Spider-man for a cameo would be a great nod to all the fans who know (SPOILER ALERT) he becomes an Avenger later in his life. There is talk that the Avengers may end up somewhere near the Spider-man musical Turn Off the Dark, which might just allow them to have the lead actor from the stage show in Spider-man costume standing next to the Avengers. It'd be so cool if that were true!

• aragorn01

Feb 2nd 2012, 14:33

this is very unlikely...having a character, OWNED by another company. even if Sony's in great need to help boost their new Spidey flick's awareness. the cameos i think MOST likely to happen in The Avengers, though, are: - Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper Potts - Natalie Portman as Jane Foster - one or more Asgardian citizens, Anthony Hopkins as Odin, or Rene Russo as Frigga, or Jaimie Alexander as Sif the DEFINITE one: - Stan Lee (though, it'll be nice to see Brian M. Bendis and Kurt Busiek and George Perez in there, too) the ones I HOPE to happen: - William Hurt as Gen. Thunderbolt Ross and/or Liv Tyler as Betty Ross - The Abomination..maybe shown in a special hi-security prison facility - a very OLD looking Hayley Atwell as the very aging Peggy Carter (a reunion scene with the still young-looking Steve Rogers will be AWESOME) ...and as for Spidey's cameo...my guess would be Andrew Garfield, the actor playing Spidey, and (maybe) Emma Stone (the new Gwen Stacy) would play bystanders in the movie, somewhere. other cameos i'd like to see: - Lou Ferrigno as, who else...a security guard, in a scene together with the new and latest Bruce Banner, Mark Ruffalo, or maybe the cg Hulk - Sam Rockwell as Justin Hammer - and, aw heck! HUGH JACKMAN as Wolverine..or a guy who looks Wolverine-ISH..having a drink, at a bar, where the avengers hang out.

• Nirvandy

Feb 5th 2012, 1:24

My palm literally hit my face. I hold no hope for this movie at all.

• Seedorf

Feb 13th 2012, 22:25

@FBAStrezev. I have to agree, this trailer also made me sick.