Matt Damon reacts to Ben Affleck's casting as Batman

"I won't be Robin"

Ever since Ben Affleck was cast as Batman in Man Of Steel 2, every A-lister and their dog has been weighing in with their thoughts on the matter.

Jumping on that bandwagon is Affleck's buddy and colleague Matt Damon, who, naturally, has nothing but words of support for his friend.

“I think it will be great. It will be terrific," Damon told the Times Of India. "I know there are a lot of people grousing on the internet. I just think it’s kind of funny. You know, he’s not playing King Lear. It’s Batman! Certainly within his skill set.

"If anybody saw Argo or The Town, and all the work he’s been doing lately, it’s way more nuanced and interesting and way more difficult than Batman!

"Batman just sits there with his cowl over his head and whispers in a kinda gruff voice at people. Bruce Wayne is the more challenging part of the role, and Ben will be great at that.”

The actor went on to joke "it’s safe to say I won’t be Robin".

Meanwhile, Morgan Freeman told USA Today: "My first reactions are ‘Wow’ and ‘Good luck’."

The veteran actor, who played Lucius Fox in Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy, added: “After the trilogy, I thought that no one would try it again for a few years more to let this whole thing die down. Because it’s still there. So I don’t know, I hope Ben does well.”

Man Of Steel 2
opens in 2015.

Do you want Matt Damon to play Robin? Tell us below...

Comments

• chibik

Aug 28th 2013, 7:31

I'm with Freeman.

• mattburgess

Aug 28th 2013, 8:18

Matt Damon doesn't have a clue about Batman.

• smellyhands

Aug 28th 2013, 11:18

He's his oldest and best friend, what else is he gonna say?

• CaptainCrazy

Aug 28th 2013, 11:22

The internet has never been right about anything in the history of ever (including this message). Ben will be fine. He has grown since the likes of Daredevil and Gigli. I would defend a friend and Morgan Freeman is God. Who am I to argue?

• spid2411

Aug 28th 2013, 12:21

I'm with Freeman and also agree with Matt Damon. The issue is not about who plays Batman (Christian Bale, Ben Affleck, Matt Damon or any other actor could play the role - I care not who is cast) but rather it is only a short while since Nolans excellent trilogy was wrapped up. So it is not a question of who plays the role but rather of what the tone of this is going to be. Are we suddenly going to leap back to camp and wise cracking? Because that is not what the Dark Knight is (the clue is in the title). The real reservations here are that this is CLEARLY just an excuse to try and jump on the Avengers bandwagon as quickly as possible and to make as much money as possible. That is all it is and therefore it is doomed to fail. When Nolan was given the job of reinventing Batman he was pretty much given the freedom he needed to concentrate on making a good film with the correct take on the character. In other words, the motivations were correct as the emphasis was on quality first, an approach which incidentally was a huge financial success for the studio. But has the studio learned from this? No - they just see numbers from Marvel (who make vastly inferior films to the Dark Night trilogy for a different audience) and want to duplicate it as quickly as possible so the approach is now entirely motivated by money. When bland, shallow and empty materialism is the sole motivation for any piece of art....it will fail. And I personally hope that it does (and by that I dont mean box office numbers - I mean in the fact that the film produced will be forgettable, throw away dross like Iron Man 3 or the hugely disappointing Man of Steel (wish Nolan and been the director of that - could have worked then as the bits he wrote were very obvious before being blasted off the screen by immature CGI explosions that Snyder thinks are..."awesome!!" So very childish. )

• ilikescifi

Aug 28th 2013, 12:25

enough. this ben affleck thing is just a distraction from the fact that we have heard nothing interesting about the new star wars. burning issues such as, will there be wookies? how will they deal with the fact that ford has aged better than fisher and hamill? will mace windu be a force ghost? i must know

• vincevega

Aug 28th 2013, 12:58

I am all with the Affleck casting choice. he's good the physicality and the mysterious spark in his eye. let's just hope they won't try to make it pass as something like the Dark Knight trilogy and let him be the hero he is instead of trying to please the teenagers who are so happy to reach puberty that they need to think they have a dark product that was made only for the vilains (proof is that the performance everyone is praising is Heath's) and make them think that they are so cool and edgy for not liking the Avengers because "it's for children" and it's there only to make money. Tim Burton didn't put CGI in his movies but had a hero, instead of a whimp that gets beaten up all movie long and had a clear storyline instead of losing himself in some sort of completely twisted (and completely forseable - especially when the butler tells you what will happen within 30 min of the film, which kills of any suspense) plot only there to try and say they are interested in the feelings of the characters... and what Nolan did of course was not interested at all with the money, they only did it for the creative side of things (how HYPOCRITE). So, let's just let them spit they dirty poison, thinking they are so cool and edgy because they don't like the MONEY, although it made close to $ 2.5B... really enjoy Man of Steel, which gave a better insight on Krypton and had me (a millions more) stuck to the screen for 2.5 hours! the only thing missing was John Williams score... so, Im sure they will make something really good and Affleck will surely bring something! and even if I don't like it, I won't sh*t on it saying that I know more than everyone else because I am not a pretentious little smug thinking that my opinion is the best.

• Mattsimus

Aug 28th 2013, 13:07

Yeah Freemans the s**t! However @ilikescifi.....Hilarious and agreed!

• vincevega

Aug 28th 2013, 13:23

oh... and couldn't agree more with ilikescifi! ;)

• BobTheSkull

Aug 28th 2013, 13:31

I really wish there were 'like' buttons on here. That was an impressive rant Vince ;) And I fully agree. If there is one thing I despise when discussing things like this, it's those who are arrogant enough to tell you that you are wrong/ignorant/stupid just because you're opinion is different from theirs. If they really feel that strongly, get a film production degree, go to hollywood and make better yourself. Oh... you can't? Well settle the fk down then...

• vincevega

Aug 28th 2013, 13:38

thanks a lot Bob, really sorry if I offended some that liked the Dark Knight movies, because I actually didnt hate it that much and most of those who liked those movies are actually clever and you can have an intelligent conversation with them even if we disagree... but can't describe how I felt about the pretentious minority better than you did...

• marvelboy

Aug 28th 2013, 15:06

Totally Agree with you Vincevega darkness in films is not the way forward I mean the comics have some dark moments but on a whole they are light and enjoyable. And I agree with all those who support Affleck , I still watch Daredevil and enjoy it, I can agree not Afflecks best role but it didn't end his career and there have been far worse Super hero movies which have even got sequels (Fantastic four, Ghost Rider). But back to Batman/Superman I'm looking forward to this and hope it sticks with the tone of Man of Steel it was enjoyable and proved that darkness is not always necessary. But haters will always hate... People don't like change... and I will form a solid opinion once I've seen said film

Aug 28th 2013, 18:10

I get what Matt is saying but It kinda felt like he was looking down on the role.

Aug 28th 2013, 18:11

I know it will never happen but I wish Gary Oldman and Freeman could continue playing Fox and Gordon in the Batman universe.

• Mattsimus

Aug 28th 2013, 21:39

It does sound like Damon was looking down on the role to defend his mate, to be fair probably cos his besty has been getting quite the pasting for being offered the role! I don't trust Snyders decition to cast Affleck, I know the film hasn't been released yet but it's my opinion and I think bens casting was an easy, obvious choice that they prob think is them being clever and unexpected, however The Dark Knight trilogy was an amazing addition to the superhero world of movies that yes although inspired every film maker to promote their movie to being a "Darker" take on this or a "Darker" take on that but Nolan n gang officially succeeded in doing 2 things. 1) getting everyone to care about Batman / Bruce Wayne again and 2) Put DC back on the map. Marvel have taken their time after the misfires that were fantastic 4 / ghost rider / Dardevil / Electra to build on avengers and DC / Warner etc are rushing the hell out of this to make the money! This new Super / Batman direction feels rushed, empty, superficial and heartless. Affleck has been miss cast IMO and it would however be amazing if oldman / freeman could reprise their roles if not for consistency then just for plain and simple depth! ........ Matt out!

• ilikescifi

Aug 29th 2013, 12:23

yes Ali1748 i thought oldman's gordon was very good too, replacing him for the sake of replacing him is unfortunate. you might all think im crazy but i would dig matt damon as robin more than i dig affleck as batman.