Matt Damon talks Bourne 4

Says he approached Jonathan Nolan to write the script

Matt Damon recently reasoned that it would be tricky for him to do another Bourne film after The Bourne Legacy tinkered with the events of that universe, but from the sounds of his latest interview, he could still be open to the possibility.

“Neither of us is against it,” he said, referring to director Paul Greengrass. “I would love to do another one. I love that character. To me, the reason to make that movie is because people want to see it. Paul and I have said that to each other.

“We don’t take for granted the fact that we’ve built an audience for Bourne, that’s a real privilege. But our part of that bargain is that the movie is good and belongs with the other three. Until we can deliver that, we just can’t make it.”

When asked what else would have to be in place, Damon’s answer was interesting, revealing that he had previously sounded out Jonathan Nolan as a potential screenwriter.

“Just a couple things, really. Paul Greengrass has to want to do it, and secondly and equally important, it comes down to Paul and I knowing what the hell we want to do. We just don’t have a story, and we haven’t had one.

“I quietly went to Jonah Nolan, because he and his brother Chris did such a brilliant job on Batman and that whole mythology. I just said, can you put your brain on this? I can’t figure it out. And he took a run at it and he couldn’t crack it either. Paul and I have been talking about it for years. And we can’t quite see what the movie would be. If we could get line of sight on that…”

Would you welcome another Bourne film? Tell us, below!

Comments

• gonzoBen

Dec 11th 2012, 13:45

On second viewing, Legacy became a surprisingly good sidequel. It has so much going on, a single watch isn't enough.

Dec 11th 2012, 17:21

Bourne Legacy was let down by the characters explaining the plot every five mintues and the fact the lead character wanted to score. Leave the franchise for about a decade and come back to a 50-something Bourne married with kids.

• lukeworm100

Dec 11th 2012, 18:34

Matt raises a lot of good points as he always has regarding Bourne. He truly understands that another Jason Bourne movie cannot be a cash in and due to his & Paul's care for the franchise they are waiting for the right ideas to come along before anything moves ahead. I didn't like Bourne Legacy very much. I felt the pacing was bad & while the action scenes were pretty good they were very few and far between and all of them were pretty much spoilt in the trailers.

Dec 11th 2012, 20:11

Thankfully Jonah Nolan couldn't crack it.

• Monkeynuts30

Dec 12th 2012, 22:25

Can't say I really disagree with any of you but I think Legacy did set up an opportunity for a fourth Bourne-centric film. Legacy saw Landy getting raked over the coals and Vosen and Director Crane hushing up the programs by murdering Hirsch. Given that Landy and Bourne have... let's call it an understanding, he could come back to try and shut down NRAG. Just a thought...

• alexr

Dec 14th 2012, 11:19

There is also the mention of the other program (Treadstone, Blackbriar, whatever Aaron Cross was a part of, and the program that was 'Treadstone without the inconsistency' - which the assassin was a part of). Perhaps not all of the black ops programs have been shut down, and they are still actively tracking Bourne and Cross. Cross now knows Bourne is still alive, and Bourne undoubtedly knows that Cross exists as (I expect) he would have been keeping himself informed of the governments motives and methods...