Despite some scathing reviews, videogame adaptation Max Payne managed to nab the top spot at the US box office with $18 million.
The John Moore film finally knocked Beverly Hills Chihuahua from the top spot, but the chatty canines still took second place.
New arrivals took third and fourth place also, with Queen Latifah drama The Secret Life Of Bees nabbing $11 million and Oliver Stone’s Bush satire W taking $10 million.
There was less luck for the week’s other new arrival, comedy Sex Drive, which could only manage ninth place with $3.5 million. Still, it’ll make its money on DVD. Find the full charts below and keep an eye on Total Film’s weekly box office briefing on the main page.
US Box Office Top 10 October 17-19
- Max Payne ($18 million)
- Beverly Hills Chihuahua ($11.2 million)
- The Secret Life Of Bees ($11 million)
- W ($10 million)
- Eagle Eye ($7.3 million)
- Body Of Lies ($6.8 million)
- Quarantine ($6.3 million)
- Nick And Nora's Infinite Playist ($3.9 million)
- Sex Drive ($3.5 million)
- Nights In Rodanthe ($2.6 million)
[Source: Box Office Mojo]