McG admits Terminator Salvation mistakes

“We did a lot wrong”

Regrets, TF's had a few. But even though we like to do things our way, we're not above admitting when we were wrong. Seems McG has the same life philosophy.

“I feel like we did a lot right with Terminator and I feel like we did a lot wrong,” the This Means War director told Collider.com.

“I really tried to deliver and do the best I could with making that film. It worked for a lot of people. A lot of people didn't like the ending. You live and learn.”

Does he think he killed the Terminator series?

“I love the Terminator franchise. I hope they make another one. We'll see where that takes us,” he said.

Hang on, where's all this coming from? Surely he's not angling to do a director's cut of Salvation

“We did the best we could. I poured everything I had into that picture. Yeah, there's some outstanding footage out there and we'll see if there's a director's release to come in the future. You never know. Time will tell.”

We're channelling Anakin Skywalker from the recently effed up Return Of The Jedi when we say: “Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!”

Would you pay hard cash to see a better version of Terminator Salvation? Or is there no salvation for this movie? Fire away in the comments section below!

Comments

• badger86

Oct 12th 2011, 23:42

To say it killed the franchise would be giving the film to much credit, it was a disappointingly run of the mill action flick. Which was neither a success or an astounding failure, it was just bland, soulless, by the book film making. To this day people talk about the infamous 'batnipples' because B&R achieved it's place in fan's hearts (or bile ducts) because it was astonishing in it's awfulness. Salvation isn't worthy of that (dubious) honour. Besides T5 is in the pipeline isn't it?

• noodle84

Oct 13th 2011, 1:20

I ...er, actually liked it?! A hell of a lot better than T3! If that upsets people, sue me! 0_o

• TheEnigma

Oct 13th 2011, 2:53

Anyone who comes n2 contact with a copy of 'T3' should upon immediate instinct, delete, burn, break, scratch, smash, throw, wipe, drown, puke, nuke, frisbee, hell annihilate it without a momentz hesitation...!!! Let'z never speak of this again...!! That iz all...

• manfromthezoo

Oct 13th 2011, 7:10

I'd have to agree with badger86. Here's what I thought of Salvation at the time - and, all things considered, I still feel the same. http://manfromthezoo.blogspot.com/2009/06/terminator-savlon.html

• revan1138

Oct 13th 2011, 7:33

i liked it and found it interesting .far better than terminator 3.

• mcghater

Oct 13th 2011, 8:30

NOW ADMIT THE REST OF YOUR MISTAEKES YOU C U NT LIKE YOUR ENTIRE CAREER GOD I FUC K ING HATE YOU

• ChrisWootton

Oct 13th 2011, 9:12

So that's why you're called mcghater

• chaosdefined

Oct 13th 2011, 9:57

I rather enjoyed Salvation, thought it was entertaining enough it just perhaps needed another draft before filming. I didn't quite like the infiltration of Skynet so easily, or the discussion Sam Worthington had with the computer interface. Apparently the original ending was far better, but after it got leaked they changed it so as to not have the ending spoiled. Also, other than Charlies Angels, I wouldn't say McG is all that bad. I mean he did bring us Supernatural and Chuck.

• Brooksy86

Oct 13th 2011, 10:00

I never quite seem why its so universally despised, people say the ending is unrealistic... ITS ABOUT KILLER ROBOTS!!! Terminator 3 was pretty guff, but T4 was actually enjoyable through and through. Then again i quite like Alien 3, so my opinions probably invalid, haha

• FBMBurgess

Oct 13th 2011, 10:03

I don't usually like mindless action flicks, but I really enjoyed Terminator: Salvation. As others have said before me, if you're going to slate a Terminator film, slate T3! Salvtation was actually pretty good! VERY worthy of the Terminator franchise. Since when has a Terminator film been more than just a sci-fi action flick? Lots of people seem to be treating the originals like they were massively cerebral, oscar-winning films. S'just the Terminator.

• chuffster

Oct 13th 2011, 10:09

He DID do a directors cut-it's on the blu-ray and is only 3 minutes longer!

Oct 13th 2011, 12:42

The biggest mistake was hiring someone who sounds like part of a Happy Meal.."Hi I'm McG" ... Oh FFS! Whats his kids called Regular Fries and Shakes?

• Mings

Oct 13th 2011, 13:15

The main problems with both T3 and Salvation are that they both lack any credible threat thanks to their kid friendly ratings. No credible threat means no suspense and action set pieces for their own sake rather than to propel the story forward. Both films seem designed as extended trailers for video games and kids' lunch box sets. That said, on their own merit these films are by no means terrible, they are just not very good Terminator movies. Mad as sack of badgers he may well be, but both movies were missing the essential ingredient - James Cameron.

• andywal

Oct 13th 2011, 14:16

"TALK TO THE HAND", that's pretty much when it died

• bont91

Oct 13th 2011, 15:40

So.....why did you guys give it four stars when it came out?

• writerdave87

Oct 13th 2011, 16:02

Burn...

• agentorange420

Oct 13th 2011, 17:25

what need to happen *SPOILER WARNING*, was for John Conner to die, and for the sam worthington character to peel off Bales face and become Conner. now that would have been an ending! pity that during the rest of the film the machines sounded like transformers.

• DravenCage

Oct 13th 2011, 23:58

@bont91 - Matt Chapman didn't give the film four stars; the person who reviewed the film gave it four stars. Total Film is made up of many different people who don't, surprisingly, share a hive mind. As for the films; I really enjoyed the fourth one and T3 is worthwhile simply for giving us THE moment Skynet goes online and, of course, for the ending, which is simply a piece of beauty (even if it did take footage from Smallville).

• Siban1982

Oct 14th 2011, 12:22

I think things started to go south with Cameron's directors cut of T2 showing a desperate take on humor when Arnie does the scariest and probably the most ridonkulous smile in teh history of cinema. Terminator 3 was just terrible. I mean the evil terminator (I don't know the number) wasn't at all as much of a challenge as the T1000 and yet it was meant to be? What dog s**t. I thought Salvation, whilst it could've been better, didn't do a bad job and I was surprised that it came from the same guy who did Charlies Angels Full Throttle... let's face it, it could've been a lot worse. Probably time to call it a day though, along with Predator and Aliens (but after Prometheus). @agentorange420 - lol love it.

• actionDALLAS

Oct 15th 2011, 15:08

i thought it was a good action flick, but not one that will withstand the tests of time, just a sci fi action flick with the terminator label....but who in the hells idea was it to put this hack director of charlies friggin angels and the oc on something like terminator. it was disastrous before it began.... mcg has a lot more to be apologizing about than just t4....

• alexr

Oct 17th 2011, 17:10

I generally like Salvation and think it deserves its place in the franchise. However, I must admit, I ignore T3 completely. Instead, I watch 1 & 2, then I watch the Sarah Connor Chronicles, then I pretend 15 years pass by during which John Connor begins to establish himself within the resistance, then I watch Salvation and it all makes sense...sort of...