Meet Rooney Mara as the new Lisbeth Salander

First image from Fincher’s film

girl with the dragon tattoo

The first shot of Rooney Mara as Lisbeth Salander has surfaced in the new issue of W magazine.

While giving us our first glimpse at an almost unrecognisable Mara, the magazine also reveals some new details about David Fincher’s adaptation of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

According to the publication, some key changes have been made from the original story, with Salander more aggressive and Blomkvist less promiscuous (sorry Daniel Craig fans).

Mara, meanwhile, had her reservations before she first took up the book. “Before I read the book, I didn’t think I could do it,” she says.

“I locked myself in a room for a week and read all three books, and decided I really wanted to be Lisbeth. But I thought I had no shot at it.”

She shouldn’t have worried, though: “I wanted her from the beginning,” says Fincher. “We didn’t make it easy for Rooney, and there was no way to dissuade her.”

Like what you see? Think Mara will make for a good Salander? Speak up below...

Comments

• BruceShark

Jan 13th 2011, 12:15

So......."The ending has also been “completely changed”, with Steve Zaillian’s script apparently improving on Larsson’s original ending." So who said "apparently improving on Larsson’s original ending". With massive emphasis on APPARENTLY. This waste of a dog turd just got more wasteful. I hope (even though we all know) that this is gonna be a huge flop. Totally depressed with Mr (sellout) Fincher.

• BruceShark

Jan 13th 2011, 12:17

And the picture does look stupid. God she's so thin it looks like she's about to ingest herself.

• Jrdnsans1792

Jan 13th 2011, 12:56

I hate the idea of this film, its going to be awful, looks like David Fincher has lost it

• joker16

Jan 13th 2011, 13:13

I was skeptical at first but this pic totally changes my mind. I should not have doubted Fincher, he is a genius after all.

• CIJpod

Jan 13th 2011, 13:41

You can't improve something that's already brilliant, and you certainly shouldn't change the ending! Plus, there's only one Lisbeth Salander..

• gregbreen1

Jan 13th 2011, 15:37

I do have faith in Fincher, he will do a good job...But 'The ending has also been “completely changed”, with Steve Zaillian’s script apparently improving on Larsson’s original ending.' Em didn't he allegedly do that before with a book by Thomas Harris....Doesn't fill me with that much confidence!!!!! Who is saying he improved on Larsson's ending????

Jan 13th 2011, 15:49

Typical Hollywood arrogance, more latte than sense these people, if you' improve' on a classic then the remake will have to be monolithic masterpiece...no pressure then!

• NSTUART

Jan 13th 2011, 16:48

this film is going to be so s**t, why do they re-make everything?

• fatbob316

Jan 13th 2011, 17:19

Who in the hell is Rooney Mara? she looks like a crack addict in need of a good feed! dont like the look of this at all! but really... when is hollywood going to stop knocking out second rate remakes of amazing films? is creativity really at such a low that this all they can do? (oh and all the bloody reboots too!) p.s. who say's the hollywood ending is going to be better? bout time they thought about climbing out of their own back-sides me thinks.

• McSerious

Jan 13th 2011, 22:21

The less said about how unecessary this remake is the better, but to be blunt... GIVE THAT GIRL A CHEESEBURGER! She's disgustingly skinny!

• velocet

Jan 13th 2011, 22:29

Lets get a couple of things straight...the original was terriffic and the sequels were cheaply shot...heart sank when the opening credits of 'fire' finished and it was obvious this was filmed for TV. Were badly cast and badly acted. Fincher has NEVER made a bad film (inc A3 & Button). Some remakes can improve on the original...Nolan's Insomnia is marginally superior than the earlier version for instance. She'll inhabit the role just as Rapace did before her and like the original it'll look beautiful. Fincher's ideal for this material. The changed ending : my guess is (PLOT SPOLIER) Salander will kill Martin Vanger rather than him dying in a road accident, which deprived the viewer of their thirst for revenge. This will be ace. Bleak, fiercely intelligent and don't forget..this is the man that convinced a major studio to stump up 70 million dollars for Fight Club. GET IN !!!