Meet the Mad Hatter

First official pics from Tim Burton’s Wonderland arrive

Disney has release the first official pics from Tim Burton’s Alice In Wonderland.

You can see them character portraits – of Johnny Depp as The Mad Hatter, Helena Bonham Carter as the evil Red Queen and Anne Hathaway as the floaty, benevolent White Queen – in our gallery to the right.

Below is Alice visiting Tweedledee and Tweedledum, both played/voiced by Matt Lucas thanks to the magic of performance capture.

And it sounds like the plot is a little different from traditional takes on the tale – with Alice, now 17, attending a snooty Victorian party where she discovers she’s about to be proposed to in front of the hundreds of guests.

Alarmed, she runs off, follows a white rabbit (voiced by Michael Sheen) and finds herself back in Wonderland, which she can’t recall visiting 10 years ago.

The place needs her help as the Red Queen has slowly taken over the place, complete with floating heads in her moat (wonder if she claims it on expenses – topical comedy, laygennulmen!)

On her path through the world, she meets the likes of Depp’s Hatter who producer Richard Zanuck describes as “off his rocker” with an “indescribable” accent.

Can something be indescribable if you describe it that way?

Burton, meanwhile, is busy blending the live action he shot across 40 days with the CG animation and creatures ready for next March’s release date.

If you want to see the wide-angle pics in scroll/zoom-i-mation, we recommend heading over to USA Today.

What do you make of the new pics? Like ‘em? Hate em? Do they make you excited for the movie?

UPDATE! Courtesy of Movies.IE, we've just scored a pic of Matt Lucas as Tweedledum & Tweedledee. See below...

Comments

• darjeelingmike

Jun 22nd 2009, 8:18

No No No No No No No NO NO NO!!!!! I sort of like the new story up until she goes down the rabbit hole, it really depends on how Burton does it. He has done wrong by the story casting his regulars - Depp And Carter look terrible and I can only imagine this "indescribable" accent. It's going to be terrible, like sitting through Charlie And The Chocolate Factory again. Anne Hathaway looks alright though and Michael Sheen as the rabbit is inspired. Don't like half of the images though - it looks the way Alice In Wonderland should, but there's something else there that doesn't feel right. That sense of menace Burton seems to pollute his films with. It's totally unneeded. And seriously - Matt Lucas???? Not excited by this one TotalFIlm.

• Ray Peterson

Jun 22nd 2009, 8:46

Return to Oz?

• fatpigeon

Jun 22nd 2009, 10:33

At least it looks different from the usual interpretations. Bet he's read tapping into Lost Girls though.

• geekstinkbic

Jun 22nd 2009, 11:02

Burton's a one trick pony. Depp's a one trick pony too!!

• imaginarium

Jun 22nd 2009, 12:18

I was a bit unsure about Matt Lucas when I first heard he'd be in it, just compared to the calibre of the rest, but he MIGHT exceed expectations. The whole cast sounds great to me, especially Michael Sheen as the White Rabbit and Alan Rickman as the caterpillar. I can't wait to see a new spin on it!

• TheTingler

Jun 22nd 2009, 13:03

Different from the one she remembers? So this is going to be a Hook or Return To Oz? Let's just hope this is more American McGee's Alice take though, that was brilliant. A proper twisted dark take on the story. If Burton gets somewhere in the middle, I don't mind. And I prefer the first pic of the Mad Hatter in (sorry TF) Empire. Still, I really hate Burton's ongoing desire to cast his missus in every film. Usually in a major role.

• DeFantom

Jun 22nd 2009, 16:16

Just thought I'd bring up something that both amused and creeped me out - someone over at SSH pointed out that Mr.Depp looks awfully like Madonna in that portrait.

• DeFantom

Jun 22nd 2009, 16:18

Why is Depp playing Madonna in this?

• somers16

Jun 22nd 2009, 18:24

pictures look awesome. i reckon film will be brill and i am very excited

• BillGetsFunky

Jun 22nd 2009, 19:05

I must say I am now excited for this film. I was a bit nervous but it seems Mr.Burton has gotten "inspired" from American McGee's own version of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. (Alice goes back to Wonderland only to find it in ruins b/c of the Queen of Hearts)But non the less I am excited for this film. I just hope they add more of Through the Looking Glass because that story often gets overlooked. (and Anne Hathaway looks great! :))

• Buried At Sea

Jun 22nd 2009, 19:07

i hate tim burton, he's so boringgggggggg

• agentblackacid

Jun 22nd 2009, 21:35

So this is in essence a sequel then? Well, that's disappointing. I thought he was just going to make Alice in Wonderland... not re-write it. I'll still see it at the cinema though.

• StraightEdgeUK

Jun 23rd 2009, 14:20

With regard to the people mentioning American McGee's take on the story - I can't see it being quite as sinister as that though Burton does seem to have taken some inspiration from it. Here's the trailer if anyone's unfamiliar with it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG_-3T1Tljw

• klking93

Jun 26th 2009, 13:18

Can't wait to see Stephen Fry as the Cheshire Cat! Not so sure about Matt Lucas though but the Mad Hatter costume looks amazing :)

• jceaser

Jun 27th 2009, 0:39

do agree jd looks a touch madonna !