Mel Gibson not interested in Lethal Weapon 5

Gives an update on his Viking movie

Warner Bros may be planning to continue the Lethal Weapon series (as was announced back in 2011), but they'll be doing so without any involvement from Mel Gibson, after the troubled star revealed he would not be interested in doing a fifth movie.

"No," said Gibson, when asked about the possibility by ComingSoon. "I think the way things are going, they'll just remake those somehow. Though it's really tough to replace Danny [Glover]. He was so amazing in those things. It was a good gig for us. They really afforded me the opportunity to slow down and pick things and do things that really interested me."

One such project is Gibson's long-gestating Viking movie, Berserker, which the star continued to provide an update on. "I believe it's going forward," he confirmed. "I've talked to actors and stuff, and there are some good names attached who want to do it."

"I've got a great script," he continued. "And the idea's been batting around my head for years. And I couldn't find a way to make it work, because if you look at what Vikings did, they're pretty unsympathetic. And there's no point in doing Viking light. So I had to find a way to find devices and ways to make that work dramatically, intelligently and make it seem realistic."

And as was the case with The Passion Of The Christ and Apocalypto, the dialogue used will be something out of the ordinary. "I'd thought about that at one time," he said of the possibility of doing the film in Old Norse, "but then when you consider that English comes from the middle English language, it's not a big jump. I'll do something that's understandable for a modern audience. But it won't be the English they're used to."

Would you like to see Mel in another Lethal Weapon? Tell us, below!

Comments

• MoodyMonkey

Aug 14th 2012, 11:41

I dont think he should do another Lethal Weapon but he definitely still has some good lead roles left in him i hope. really liked 'How I Spent My Summer Vacation' and looking forward to Machete Kills, if only for him (even if the first was not great).

Aug 14th 2012, 12:07

I wouldnt mind seeing a prequel with Riggs meeting his wife and adjusting to life after Vietnam. Oh and can't wait for Skyrim : The movie...sorry Berserker!

• SiMan

Aug 14th 2012, 13:03

Love the Lethal Weapon films. Pi**ed me right off when the Blu-Ray didn't have the directors cuts on. My favourite scene was an extra on the 1st film's directors cut - where Riggs takes out the sniper in the school-yard. Awesome!. And Hollywood - why not wait a few more years and have Riggs' and Murtagh's child/grand-child as seen at the end of 4 teaming up together. There you go hollywood, a reboot idea for you straight out the bag. I'll expect a cheque in the post in the near future.

• marc96

Aug 14th 2012, 15:35

i would prefer them to just leave lethal weapon films alone, i personally thought they had ended them well, but i do want to see mel gibson in more films

Aug 14th 2012, 16:52

Lethal Weapon: The Reboot starring Channing Tatum and Donald Glover coming to theaters in 2016.

• warnerbrown

Aug 15th 2012, 0:33

Lethal Weapon is burned out. Any remake will be like the Hunger Games or something stupid. Now Beserker sounds awesome. We need a good Viking epic, but I want a historically accurate one. Braveheart is one of my faves, but even that got so many facts wrong when it could've been accurate and still service the story.

• chicgoods541

Aug 15th 2012, 7:20

welcome to our website: ------- http://www.chic-goods.us/ -------- if you like to order anything you like. More details, please just browse our website Quality is our Dignity; Service is our Lift. enjoy yourself. thank you!! ------- http://www.chic-goods.us/ -----

• ilikescifi

Aug 16th 2012, 16:07

I totally agree with @chicgoods541 and I have found all the films Mel has directed have been fairly uncompromising and challenging if not culturally ambiguous history lessons. In a good way

• joehill

Feb 10th 2013, 2:52

if they make a reboot it will never work as well as having lethal weapon 5 without gibson its pointless leave the series alone warner bros please, if gibson changed his mind for one last film in this series then yeah i would love to see it