Metal Gear Solid movie confirmed

Avi Arad announces plans to bring Solid Snake to the big screen

Metal Gear Solid looks set to follow in the footsteps of Tomb Raider, and, er, Super Mario Bros. and Hitman, in becoming yet another video game to be ported over to the silver screen.

Spider-Man producer Avi Arad appeared at the Metal Gear Solid 25th Anniversary event in Japan and announced that Sony Pictures will be pushing a film version into development, ending long-standing speculation that the game was ripe for adaptation.

"For many years I fought to bring comics to theaters," said Arad during a brief speech on-stage, "and videogames are the comics of today." Given that comic-book movies are still arriving at a rate of knots, we're not sure that the analogy holds water, but you get what he's trying to say.

The Metal Gear Solid series follows the exploits of one Solid Snake, a kind of super-soldier / spy / mercenary figure, charged with taking down a mysterious nuclear-weapon-sporting mecha known as Metal Gear. Needless to say, he's a total badass.

Nobody is yet in place on the directorial or casting front, but expect the usual Hemsworth / Gosling / Hardy / Jackman / Bale rumours to soon begin in earnest. A movie adaptation of a videogame… who'd have thought it, eh?

Who would you cast as Solid Snake? Tell us, below!

Comments

• MisterAmj

Aug 30th 2012, 11:07

Has to be an older star than the Gosling generation. Jackman would be a good choice. Would nail the growl to a tee. But maybe also Christian Bale, if he's looking for something new?

• Siban1982

Aug 30th 2012, 11:07

Just play MGS3 or 4... they're more like films than games.

Aug 30th 2012, 11:10

I would prefer to see a Splinter Cell movie, maybe starring Matthew Fox. I can't believe the recent SC game doesn't feature Michael Ironside. Sacrilege!

• leejgm

Aug 30th 2012, 11:59

Josh Holloway's the man for the role. I don't think Jackman, Bale et al would go anywhere near a film based on a videogame.

• Kellend11

Aug 30th 2012, 12:34

Haven't played MGS since number 2 came out. Remember playing that constantly as a kid with my brother. I'm just excited to hear that video ring tone go off.

• fearghalm

Aug 30th 2012, 12:54

Hate to be pedantic but the image above is actually Naked Snake (Big Boss) - not Solid.

• McSerious

Aug 30th 2012, 12:56

I'm a massive MGS fan! Based off his Terminator-esque showing in Headhunters, I'm thinking Nicolaj Costar Waldau would make an awesome Snake!

• smellyhands

Aug 30th 2012, 13:13

I just want to see Kurt Russell make a cameo appearance.

• RaveyDaveyGravy

Aug 30th 2012, 13:23

"in the footsteps of Tomb Raider, and, er, Super Mario Bros. and Hitman"... meaning this will be s**t too then

• emmagosling

Aug 30th 2012, 14:48

Oh god, Sony? At least let it be Christian Bale, he's a lunatic at committing to his roles.

Aug 30th 2012, 15:29

Bale's actually not a bad shout, I can picture him as Snake. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is still to this day one of the best gamea I've ever played, only Resident Evil 4 has come close to it IMO.

• Trickycustomer

Aug 30th 2012, 15:44

Hugh jackman is the closest thing to snake imo, but it all depends on the story and when and where it's set. They may use a younger or older snake depending on what they want from the character.

• McSerious

Aug 30th 2012, 15:51

I think an adaptation of Metal Gear Solid 1998 or Snake Eater would be the best ideas, because while the stories are convoluted, at the heart they're simple so A LOT of fat and characters can be trimmed off while having the core storyline intact.

• Doyle

Aug 30th 2012, 17:14

I know it's not really is bag at the minute but I'd like to see Viggo Mortensen as solid snake. If not then Bale and Holloway are both good shouts possibly even Henry Cavill? Bad guys though I'd like to see Tom Hardy and Michael Fassbender. Produced/directed by Nolan and it'll be awesome.

• SiMan

Aug 30th 2012, 18:32

CGI movie (it's about time Hollywood got over this idea that animated movies can only apply to the family genre) and have David Hayter reprise his voice-over work. Base it on the original PS one story and there you go. Instant hit........err, possibly.

• Senver

Aug 30th 2012, 18:53

Bale?! why so he can do his silly batman lispy growl again? no thanks. Gosling is awesome but not the right man for this. The only person I think could do Snake justice is Hugh Jackman

• GFoley83

Aug 30th 2012, 20:48

The only way any of those names being touted will touch this is if a BIG name director picks this up. My choice: 1. Liam Neeson, just the right age for this AND we all know he can kick a*s. 2. Hugh Jackman.

• DomCobb

Aug 30th 2012, 21:45

Christian Bale has already stated that he would love to be in a Metal Gear Solid film. And a damn good choice he would be if you ask me.

• alanstowe

Aug 31st 2012, 12:32

I don't know who this writer is but they're not very bright. Number 1: The comic book movie metaphor: you didn't get it at all. Yes, comic book movies are still being made by the truck load, that's the point of what Avi said. THAT is precisely what no one used to think was possible and what people seem to think video game movies are not capable of because we've mostly seen c**p like Doom, House of the Dead and Resident Evil: games with little to no meat and a great franchise done a great disservice. So yes, like what was done for the comic movie Avi wants to do for the video game. I love how this writer tends to poo poo the metaphor as if IT doesn't make sense when its the WRITER who clearly had the reference fly right over their heads. Number 2: MGS is not about ONE Solid Snake. Its about Solid Snake, his father Naked Snake and Raiden. The games bounce around with different protagonists, all but one of which has had you playing either Solid Snake or his father Naked Snake. And considering the Metal Gear story line covers from WW2 up to, and past, our present, they could start a franchise of well made and constructed Metal Gear films in a number of timelines, making it an ideal and lucrative franchise because a production company could easily write and be making a series of interlocking films simultaneously. Do some research and, in the words of Christian Bale, THINK for one f***ing second. Seriously, the quality of reporting on these film sites is a joke.

• markallen

Aug 31st 2012, 13:06

Cant believe noone is saying Kiefer Sutherland - he'd be awesome!

• ThrashGordon

Sep 1st 2012, 9:18

SNAKE? SNAKE? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!

• ThrashGordon

Sep 1st 2012, 9:18

Oh yeah and if KURT RUSSELL is not involved in this film in some way I will not watch it.

• jakebolticus

Sep 3rd 2012, 2:49

For me I'm torn between Jackman and Bale. On one hand Jackman has the right look and acting chops to do the role justice though I doubt he'd be interested in a video game-based movie but then there is Bale who is a phenomenal and imo a better actor than Jackman and he also has the advantage of being a fan of the series and considering how much he commits to his roles already I can only see that amplifying his intensity towards the project.

• MoodyMonkey

Sep 3rd 2012, 9:19

IF they do this (i'm still not convinced, its been mooted many times before) - i think they should adapt the original MSX/NES games as the MGS Solid games are, as has been pointed out, cinematic enough already. I would watch the adventures of a young Snake and Big Boss. Jackman or Bale would be great but its gotta be Kurt Russell for Big Boss/Naked Snake!

• Jeffbiscuits

Sep 3rd 2012, 9:36

Would have to be Michael Biehn.

• jaycrowley

Sep 3rd 2012, 17:06

I have to agree with alanstowe here. I've signed up to comment only so I can write how f*****g stupid this reporter is. MGS may not be everyone's cup of tea because the game is essentially a playable movie anyway so the mock-serious and slightly sarky tone of the story is f*****g joke. The fact they have the lead picture as the wrong character (its NAKED snake, not Solid Snake) shows that no research was done into this at all. I never normally comment or argue on websites... it's always 100% useless. Except this one occasion when I'm writing to tell you guys that I'll never come to this site again, seriously. Get some proper staff who don't dismiss video games being made into movies at the first sign, especially when the quote that the only staff member to be confirmed so far makes a very strong point of saying that this will be done right, just like hes done with comic books in the past. Terrible journalism.