MGM planning next Bond film within three years

A director will be announced soon

With Skyfallfinally beginning to make its retreat from UK cinemas, attention has turned to Bond’s next outing, with MGM announcing plans to release the next adventure within the next three years.

“We are currently developing the screenplay and working with our partners,” revealed MGM CEO Gary Barber. “We look forward to developing the script soon and signing a director. We are hoping within the next three years it will be released.”

Barber went on to say the studio will “look forward to announcing a director soon”, with a rather sizeable pair of shoes to be filled following Sam Mendes’ announcement that he will not be returning behind the camera.

While Mendes might have left, he may yet have some input in the film, having hatched an idea for a story with writer John Logan. Logan himself will be staying on to pen the script, so Mendes’ influence may yet be felt…

In the meantime, it's time to start speculating as to who might take his place in the director’s chair. As ever, share your suggestions with us in the comments below…

Who would you like to see replace Mendes? Tell us, below!

Comments

• kotowdave

Mar 20th 2013, 10:44

Someone English please. We don't want another Quantum Of Solace fiasco. My votes are 1. Duncan Jones 2. Chris Nolan 3. Martin Campbell.

• kotowdave

Mar 20th 2013, 10:45

I know Martin Campbell isn't English but : Goldeneye & Casino Royale. They speak for themselves.

• Chufferstud

Mar 20th 2013, 11:29

How about Kathryn Bigelow? (yes I know she's not British) She can do intense serious action and will be interesting to see a female director take on Mr Bond.

• SiMan

Mar 20th 2013, 14:13

I just want a return to some of the Bond iconography; gadgets, over-the-top villains, secret bases. I want an actual spy adventure, not just some moody character study. Skyfall was good, but it wasn't the best film of last year. It isn't even the best Bond film.

• jem0013

Mar 20th 2013, 15:22

Joe Wright gets my vote - a great director with a great sense for characterisation. And SiMan I have to disagree in that I thought Skyfall was easily one of the best ever made - a very thoughtful and sincere character driven story.

Mar 20th 2013, 15:40

I second the idea of Bigelow, would be interesting to see a female vision of such a chauvinistic character.

• mattburgess

Mar 20th 2013, 16:42

SiMan - I couldn't disagree more. I really want Bond to get away from the over-the-top villains and stupid gadgets. I want Bond to move on from all of that, otherwise they're just all the same, and what's the point?