MGM set to move RoboCop remake into production

Redo still on the cards despite post-bankruptcy restructure

MGM are apparently moving ahead with production of the RoboCop remake, despite axing their entire digital department.

The studio is still in the process of restructuring following its emergence from bankruptcy in December 2010 (you probably remember the legal wrangles that kept Bond 23 and The Hobbit from entering production as speedily as they otherwise might.)

There have been unconfirmed whispers that the company may be remaking several old properties, including Mr Mom and Poltergeist, but RoboCop seems like the surest bet at the moment.

Sadly it's unlikely that Darren Aronofsky will be involved in the remake, as he's currently working on X-Men prequel-sequel The Wolverine with Hugh Jackman.

Here's hoping that MGM set an equally interesting, visionary director to work on the project, rather than someone who'll simply churn out a generic action flick.

Currently the studio have The Hobbit, Bond 23, and fairytale revamp Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters in production. With MGM finding its feet again, expect to hear official announcements of forthcoming projects very shortly.

Is remaking RoboCop a wise move, or would you rather MGM left him in peace? As ever, post your thoughts below…

Comments

Feb 20th 2011, 20:14

Only if its a steampunk version and renamed 'The Robot Bobby'

• davidleach2000

Feb 21st 2011, 11:42

Unwanted and unnecessary! Why don't the film companies just reissue these old films with tarted up prints, better sound? I'd happily pay to see Robocop or Planet of the Apes again, I don't want to see rehashes of films I saw in the cinema, it seems too soon!

• TheEnigma

Feb 21st 2011, 15:34

This just all seems rushed... If they screw it up this time around, they might just kill off any lingering sentiment true fans had for this iconic character... I don't think attaching a good director to this project is a sure fix, they need to start with a great script and then see if that can lure a big name director... A world similar to that depicted in Minority Report is the type of setting I would like to see...

• DanRose

Feb 22nd 2011, 13:20

ok, i may have forgiven the studio if Aronofsky was allowed to direct but you know its gonna go to someone like McG or Ratner or some nameless director behind such 'blockbusters' like Fast and Furious or some other rubbish... Shame as original is so much more than just an action, shoot-em-up and it was the first 18 I saw.... Toxic man freaked me out for years..... 'Can you fly Bobby...'

• clearwriter

Mar 27th 2011, 0:36

Aronofsky involved with Wolverine? I thought that was off for him about two months ago? With a new director being sought.

• TheDRQ

Mar 27th 2011, 9:03

Yes clearwriter Aronofsky is off of The Wolverine Movie -- He claims it messes with his schedule, but we all know that's just a kind way of saying, "I woke up and asked myself, 'What the f**k am I doing being attached to a sequel of an already bad and pointless movie?' " -- As for Robocop, why not? everything else is being done to death. Let's just hope they are smart enough to make it grim like the first, and not "kid-friendly" like the third