Michael Arndt confirmed for Star Wars: Episode VII

J.J. Abrams rules himself out as director

As we reported last week, Little Miss Sunshine screenwriter Michael Arndt was being heavily linked with writing the script for Star Wars: Episode VII, and now the Oscar-winner has been officially confirmed in the role.

“As pre-production of Star Wars: Episode VII begins, Lucasfilm has confirmed that award-winning writer Michael Arndt will write the screenplay for the new Star Wars film,” read an official statement. Kathleen Kennedy and George Lucas have begun story conferences with Arndt.”

That’s the script taken care of then, but what about filling the director’s chair? One name to be linked to the gig has been J.J. Abrams, but the Lost supremo has now taken time to officially rule himself out of the running.

Star Wars is one of my favourite movies of all time,” says Abrams. “I almost feel that, in a weird way, the opportunity for whomever it is to direct that movie, it comes with the burden of being that kind of iconic movie and series.

“I was never a big Star Trek fan growing up,” he continues, “so for me, working on Star Trek didn’t have any of that, you know, almost fatal sacrilege, and so, I am looking forward more than anyone to the next iterations of Star Wars, but I believe I will be going as a paying moviegoer.”

The search continues, then. Star Wars: Episode VII opens in the UK on 17 July 2015.

Who do you want to see direct the new film? Tell us, below!

Comments

• conspiracyin559

Nov 12th 2012, 9:09

JJ isn't stupid...well...at least not in this case anyway; he knows that whoever takes/gets this gig will be under a microscope, held to the impossibly high Gold Standard of "The Empire Strikes Back", and more than likely have "Advisor" Lucas and the entirety of Disney Studios second guessing his every choice. It is a no win scenario...the Kobayashi Maru of scfi-fi directing jobs...; you are one bad decision away from being the next George Lucas and possibly raping yet more childhood memories ala Jar Jar... I pity whoever takes it...

• barryc

Nov 12th 2012, 10:16

Damn,,,,, Why is George Lucas even having these so called story conferences,,, I was under the impression he wouldn't have any involvement whatsoever,, thats the main reason I was excited by all this. George,, just take your 4 billion and FU#K OFF,, just stay far far away and let some talented screenwriters, film-makers etc handle everything.

• revan1138

Nov 12th 2012, 11:15

what happened to the may release of star wars movies ?.or is that the states only and we in the u.k have to wait 2 months like we did with the phantom menace.

• RaveyDaveyGravy

Nov 12th 2012, 12:57

conspiracyin559, you are right, but every football manager wants to manage Man United.

• demmike

Nov 12th 2012, 13:00

they should also get Arndt to redo the prequels - as they should have been done the first time round.

• TwoBobRuss

Nov 12th 2012, 13:21

JJ Abrams pays to go to the cinema???

• trist808

Nov 12th 2012, 15:59

@revan1138 ... May 2015 sees another big Disney release: Avengers 2 ... they will not want two tentpole films going head-to-head with each other.

Nov 13th 2012, 3:16

Neil Blomkamp or Duncan Jones are perfect for Staw Wars.

• trist808

Nov 13th 2012, 11:02

Yes and yes!!! Add Peter Jackson and they'd be my ideal three directors for the new trilogy; Jackson, Blomkamp and Jones ... I don't even mind in which order :)