Michael Bay hits back at Hugo Weaving’s Transformers criticism

Says he’s sick of “grumbling thespians”, before deleting blog entry

Earlier this week, Hugo Weaving gave an interview to Collider in which he fleetingly mentioned his work on Transformers, and was less than complimentary about the experience.

“It was one of the only things I’ve ever done where I had no knowledge of it,” said Weaving. “I didn’t care about it, I didn’t think about it. They wanted me to do it. In one way, I regret that bit. I don’t regret doing it, but I very rarely do something if it’s meaningless.”

Never one to let a perceived slight go unanswered, Michael Bay has since taken to his blog to give Weaving some back, criticising him for taking the paycheque if the film was so awful.

“Do you ever get sick of actors that make $15 million a picture, or even $200,000 for voiceover work that took a brisk one hour and 43 minutes to complete, and then complain about their jobs?” muses Bay.

“With all the problems facing our world today, do these grumbling thespians really think people reading the news actually care about trivial complaints that their job wasn’t ‘artistic enough' or 'fulfilling enough'? I guess The Hollywood Reporter thinks so.

“What happened to people who had integrity, who did a job, got paid for their hard work, and just smiled afterward? Be happy you even have a job - let alone a job that pays you more than 98% of the people in America.

“I have a wonderful idea for all those whiners: They can give their ‘unhappy job money’ to a wonderful elephant rescue. It’s the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust in Africa. I will match the funds they donate.”

UPDATE: Bay has since removed the comments from his blog.

What do you think? Does Bay have a point? Tell us, below!

Comments

• Jareth64

Oct 19th 2012, 11:31

Michael "Bad Film" Bay ladies and gentlemen!

• andrewmoores79

Oct 19th 2012, 12:12

Like or loathe Michael Bay and what he does, his point is exactly right. If that is what Weaving was paid for that work then it really isn't very classy to moan about it. The classy thing would be to turn down the job!

• DougS

Oct 19th 2012, 12:26

Typically I'm not a fan of Michael Bay, but in this case I applaud him! I'm only disappointed -- and surprised -- that he failed to stand by his own words, and deleted the blog entry.

• NickyC

Oct 19th 2012, 12:42

I'm an actor and I think Bay is spot on. It's not Show Arts, it's Show Business. 95% of actors never get to the level where they make their whole income out of acting. It's as competitive as professional sports. There are literally millions of people who would give their back teeth and at least 2 limbs to be the voice of Megatron. Me included. Weaving's being a d*******g, period. All he's doing is reminding everyone how he's made it and can be choosy about his projects. That's like a Premier League footballer complaining about whether or not he should play for City or United. Michael, if you need a thesp that doesn't complain then hook me up. I'll run until I puke, cry on any line you want and give you a big thumbs up while doing it! Also, this doesn't ring true. Weaving was in the Matrix, V for Vendetta, Captain America and The Wolfman. Highly entertaining, but hardly prestige projects.

• dangoodfellow

Oct 19th 2012, 13:21

It would be a nice gesture if the entire cocaine budget for transformers dark of the moon were donated to charity, it could end world hunger with one stroke.

• Maniacbob

Oct 19th 2012, 13:30

Yup two lines in passing over a year after the last movie came out, Hugo's really putting the screws to Bay and chewing him out for the work. Look, he didnt trash the movie, he expressed regrets over doing it. People are allowed to have regrets and, big surprise here, actors are actually people too. It wasnt a project that he was interested in but he did it anyways. It's not like he's the first actor to do a film for money or for fame and/or to regret doing a film later. Bay horribly overreacted though. If Weaving had come out and said the film was horrible and Bay was an awful director but hey thanks for the money, Bay would have some cause, but he didn't. Do you ever get sick of whiny, untalented directors going bananas every time an actor says something truthful about one of their movies?

Oct 19th 2012, 13:30

Bay does have a point, don't sign to the project if you don't care for the script, and then whine about it later, despite getting paid a shedload of money. Oh and fairplay to MB for name dropping a charity, say what you like about him and his work, his involvement in a number of charities can only be admired.

• Arnprior

Oct 19th 2012, 13:54

Michael Bay expressing outrage in the name of the 99% ?!? That's "rich".

Oct 19th 2012, 23:13

Say what you will about Michael but he's speaking the truth here. Hugo's still awesome in my book for Agent Smith and Lord Elrond though.

• FBALeal

Oct 20th 2012, 1:23

Okay people. Bay is NOT speaking any truth. He is just whining as always. Weaving never said anything WRONG about Bay or Transformers. He simply said that his reasons for making the movie was nothing more than for the check. Now I don't know about you, but few are the actors who admit such a thing. Michael Bay is a horrible director and that's a fact. He clearly has no integrity. I mean he deleted his own comments!

• DougS

Oct 20th 2012, 16:19

Oh oh, sounds like a couple of 2 percenters turning on each other!

• Driver643

Oct 20th 2012, 17:41

Micheal Bay wouldn't be arsed if he alienated himself from every actor in Hollywood, as he would then be able to make an entire film out of special effects, and not have to worry about silly things like plot and characters!! Despite thinking he is a complete tool, I have no doubt that Transformers 4 will go on to make a Billion, proving yet again that the best way to ensure box office success is to target the simpletons! Ah well...

• MoodyMonkey

Oct 20th 2012, 23:25

Michael Bay is a 'Jeremy' and no mistakin'. And Weaving is another in an extremely long line of actors who took the check and ran (DeNiro, Wells, Brando, Pacino, even Olivier have ALL done it, no heroes left if you're gonna imbue these people that way). 'Nuff said, lets all move along shall we?

• MoodyMonkey

Oct 20th 2012, 23:26

*Welles

• MoodyMonkey

Oct 20th 2012, 23:34

My point is integrity don't come into it. these people are actors. they are paid to lie for a living, why should we be surprised if they value money as much as the rest of us? Hugo's gotta feed the monkey...

• Seedorf

Oct 21st 2012, 11:55

I have to laugh at those criticising Weaving. He was asked what it was like working on the Transformers films. What was he supposed to do, lie about it? Interesting that TF conveniently removed half of what Hugo said, yet included all of what Bay said. Read the "full" article at Collider. Hadouken76 it would seem, did not. Script? What script. Weaving didn't get one, just his lines. I'm sure a lot of actors like to read the full script, meet the director and others working on on the film. Get a feel for the character, you know. Had these films required any real acting, then you can't just turn up, go into a booth for two hours, say some words without having any idea what they mean. Not know what the plot is about and the character you are playing, how you are supposed to play the character, and have it work. Luckily these films have no plot and no characters. Bay does sound like he does a lot for charity though, so all the money he earns from these silly films he keeps making, some of it does go to a good cause.

• samtebow

Oct 28th 2012, 18:19

as Ray said I didnt know that some people are able to make $7575 in one month on the internet. did you look at this link...bit.ly\X24LHP

• robbell

Mar 13th 2014, 11:32

Maybe get Frank Welker back for the new one?