Michael Bay hits back at "insulting" Transformers critics

“The movie did make a lot of money,” says director

transformers

Director Michael Bay jumped to the defence of his Transformers movies when journalists dared to brand first sequel Revenge Of The Fallen a flop.

During a press conference for the third Transformers film – subtitled Dark Of The Moon – Bay was asked if he was worried Transformers 3 would be a flop like Transformers 2.

Never one to mince his words, Bay responded: “Your comment is a little insulting to the artists who worked on this. The movie did make a lot of money.

“I admit it's not one of my better films. It's by far not the worst film ever made; that's just false... The movie doesn't make $835 million being the worst film.”

The director went on to explain why Revenge Of The Fallen wasn’t quite as good as the first film in the franchise.

“We had a writers' strike during movie two, so it was a tough game getting it going,” he says.

“It really wasn't fair to the writers because normally a movie like this would take eight months to write and, because of the strike, the writers had about three, so it was a complicated, rough process making that movie.

“On the third one we tried to get it right and really deliver and I think we did. It's the best of the three, personally, to me.”

Transformers: Dark Of The Moon opens 29 June 2011.

Agree with Bay? Or think Fallen really is one of the worst films ever? Drop us your comments below...

Comments

• Peachy556

Jun 27th 2011, 9:04

Hey, as we all know, all good films make loads of money, hence Transformers 2 is a classic.

• garyu2

Jun 27th 2011, 9:08

So the director thinks the latest film (in cinemas now) is brilliant, best of the three. Well I am stunned. I always love how actors/directors praise their films -no matter what- when the films are still in theaters but as soon as they hit DVD its like "yeah, it was a disappointment". Also, just because a movie makes many millions dosent make it good Michael, it dosent even mean that a lot of people liked the film, it just means a lot of people went out to see it. I tend to make my opinions on a film AFTER I have just seen it, not when I am buying a ticket. I've not seen Trans 3 but I am betting its a pile of mince like Trans 2. The first one was pretty good, a good little brainless action flick but it didn't warrant 2 War And Peace-length epic sequels.

• chrishaydon63

Jun 27th 2011, 9:15

This argument is getting annoying now - Bay has already admitted the film wasn't as good as it should have been but so many are making out that 'ROTF' is amongst the worst films of all time. Anyone who considers that has clearly seen little to no films or has such a tiny cinematic knowledge. Why should Bay feel the need to explain himself all the time? Yes there was a lot more action and pyrotechnics than character development in 'ROTF' but why should he apologise for being ambitious? It's that difficult second movie where the only concern is to impress the audience more than the original and that didn't happen with Bay's sequel but give it a rest everyone. Go see 'Dark of the Moon' and judge it for yourselves. I've written an article about this on my film site - if your interested, check it out :) http://haydonsmoviehouse.blogspot.com

Jun 27th 2011, 9:39

The best of the three? Its a pity you hired one of the worlds worst actresses, if you can even call her that...Frances Mcdormand? Come on! (joking) :D

• flashfanatic1

Jun 27th 2011, 9:53

Ah poor did-dums! wouldn't mind but lets face it the man's made a career out of Blowing s**t up & only got where he has through his connections so he should do us all a favor & SHUT THE f**k UP!

• flashfanatic1

Jun 27th 2011, 9:53

• TheDMeister

Jun 27th 2011, 10:14

I point and laugh at all the snobbishness being directed at Bay because he has a talent for explosive action pics. Yes I said talent because that is what it is; talent. Not every movie has to be some deep philosophical or issue based drama designed to make you think which is what the Academy Awards generally seem to believe. Bay's sort of films are escapist and brainless fun. ROTF was a huge heap of a mess but for some it is a guilty pleasure as well. Do not judge Dark of the Moon until you have actually seen it, if you didn't like the first or second then why on earth are you reading any of this anyway?

Jun 27th 2011, 10:36

Personally I think Bay belongs on the big screen, The Rock was great escapist fun, Armageddon had more awe-inspiring scenes in space tthan George Lucas could manage in the entire prequel trilogy, the first Transformers movie was funny and had the cinema audiences chuckling along... what more can you ask? I just hope Bad boys 3 is an hour shorter than its predecessor.

• QuietLife

Jun 27th 2011, 11:10

I can understand people not finding either Transformers movies so far good on a critical level but a flop?? Seriously?? I for one really enjoyed the first one and personally couldn't stand the second (mainly due to the suddenly annoying characters - they were not that bad in the first!!) Bay, as a director for me is a little hit and miss. I absolutely loved The Rock and the original Bad Boys but am fairly indifferent on Pearl Harbor and Bad Boys 2.

• KerrAvon

Jun 27th 2011, 13:29

“It really wasn't fair to the writers because normally a movie like this would take eight months to write and, because of the strike, the writers had about three." So what's his excuse for the first one being a big load?

• Indianabones

Jun 27th 2011, 14:21

You can't call Transformers 2 a flop, but you can call it a terrible movie, even for a leave your brains at home movie, lets face facts he had a excellent opportunity to make some fun and great movies, robots that transform and kick c**p out of each, what can go wrong? thats right Mr Bay! 1st one is ok, I still cringe at th sector 5 or what ever special government agency it was! and i tried watching the 2nd one to give it another chance and sorry but it was still a pile of c**p. still not sure I will go and see the 3rd one, may just sit down and watch the cartoon movie

• writerdave87

Jun 27th 2011, 20:30

Technically Bay's right- the film made a ton of profit so it's nowhere near a flop, and it's not THAT bad, in the scheme of things, but whatever that man says he will come off as a massive c**k. He cant win!

Jun 27th 2011, 21:47

LOL at using the writers strike for an excuse.

• afloatingstone

Jun 28th 2011, 3:32

That movie was frickin awful.. I couldn't sit through it in one go. Actually enjoyed the first one but if you are going to rate a movie on things like plot, acting, emotional impact, well the sequel IS one of the worst movies ever made - no amount of exploding robots can change that.

Jun 28th 2011, 21:18

Revenge Of The Fallen was the first movie I fell asleep to since the first Narnia.

• AntiBioticFox

Jul 12th 2011, 13:52

A little confuzed here. What were you people expecting from a movie based on a cartoon that was about a waring race of robots? And for Bay to 'admit' that Transformers 2 was a 'flop' was wrong. He should have to explain anything to anyone. Guess there's no pleasing everyone then again the people who claimed the movies were bad aren't fans of the franchise. It's like me going to see Sex in the City when I've never watched the show.

• BatmanOriginal

Jul 13th 2011, 15:01

okay.....there was a time when movies use to come out and they use to be awesome just because they were awesome, and they didnt flop because they didnt make alot of money. movie didnt use to have to make alot of money to be awesome. Hollywood sure took a s**t.