Michael Bay talks Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Responds to fan backlash

Michael Bay has told fans to relax over his proposed tweaks to comic-book lore for the upcoming adaptation of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

When Bay initially announced that his production company Platinum Dunes were reviving the franchise, he had this to say about his vision for the film:

“When you see this movie, kids are going to believe, one day, that these turtles actually do exist when we are done with this movie. These turtles are from an alien race and they are going to be tough, edgy, funny and completely lovable.”

It’s the “alien race” aspect that has had fans up in arms, with the original origin story having them mutate (the clue’s in the title, Michael) into their giant, anthropomorphised form after being exposed to some nasty radiation. However, Bay insists the fans have nothing to worry about from his vision.

“Fans need to take a breath, and chill,” said Bay via his official website. “They have not read the script. Our team is working closely with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles to help expand and give a more complex back story. Relax, we are including everything that made you become fans in the first place. We are just building a richer world.”

The film is tentatively scheduled to open on Christmas Day 2013.

What do you make of Bay's plans? Let us know, below.

Comments

• badger86

Mar 20th 2012, 15:20

What a c**k.

• badger86

Mar 20th 2012, 15:28

Just to expand on my previous comment, i really dislike his attitude while talking about the fans. It's a lazy kind of dim witted arrogance. No we haven't read the script Michael, but we've seen your movies and the horrendous output of your production company. You surfer boy talking manchild c**k.

• Doyle

Mar 20th 2012, 16:14

well said @badger86

• ilikescifi

Mar 20th 2012, 16:14

h aha yes MB can be a condescending director but he's kinda right, hear me out, a verbatim version of much loved favourites can become really staid when it revels in nostalgia, i mean why make nostalgia for nostalgia's sake when we can enjoy the originals? i hated the sexism and dumb machismo of the Transformers films but at least he radically updated them. im sure the original creators would have done the same.

• ilikescifi

Mar 20th 2012, 16:18

having said that, his updates of amityville horror, nightmare on elm st etc were derivative, uninteresting, watered-down piles of straight-to-dvd product placement crapola. badger86 is right

• ilikescifi

Mar 20th 2012, 16:18

• FBDHoos

Mar 20th 2012, 16:25

"Building a richer world". Right, like the back-story of Transformers 2.

• Tarantino3011

Mar 20th 2012, 16:38

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... KILL IT KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!

• majorken

Mar 20th 2012, 16:57

Next he'll be calling them "hero" turtles....

• 7amandapanda7

Mar 20th 2012, 17:23

• FBKMay

Mar 20th 2012, 18:15

no , next... lol

Mar 20th 2012, 18:23

Everyone is forgetting something. When was the last time Platinum Dunes ever made something worth watching?

• chrysler

Mar 20th 2012, 20:42

after reading Bay's filmography on Wikipedia, I felt sorry for him, then 2 seconds later I realised that he's made millions using potentially good movie ideas and scripts as a personalised toilet roll. Sympathy revoked!!, Also KingOfCinema, could you quantify what decent is by stars 1-5, cos most of those you listed here as decent are pretty dire viewing.

• GarthMarenghi

Mar 20th 2012, 22:56

@majorken - You just got my vote for comment of the week. ;)

• BiDDY

Mar 21st 2012, 0:37

"Teenage Extraterrestrial Ninja Turtles".......................*Deep deep meaningful sigh*

• EddieFelson

Mar 21st 2012, 12:13

I don’t like Michael Bays films myself however I’m sure it would be a pile of sh*te whoever directs it as its a film about giant turtles who practice martial arts with a rat and fight against a man called shredder! don’t get me wrong I loved the graphic novels when I was a kid and god forbid anyone tried to prize my beloved Konami handheld turtle game but I’m 30 now so not really fussed about any remakes since they will be made FOR KIDS not for nostalgic d*ckheads spouting verbal diarrhea such as "f**k you Michael Bay I want you to die for s******g on one of my all time favourite cartoon series" really? you want him to die for making a film (which you haven’t seen yet therefore could have no possible reaction to either than I am or am not looking forward to this movie) you really need to GROW THE F*CK UP!

• MikeyRix

Mar 21st 2012, 12:17

@EddieFelson Don't feed the troll...

• FBJRider

Mar 21st 2012, 13:35

The best thing for a TMNT film would have a cameo from Daredevil

• EddieFelson

Mar 21st 2012, 15:52

Sorry Mikey should have left him out of it and just said Mutant Turtles fighting to save the day (or usually April the horny buggers) not my bag, however I enjoyed it in my youth just as I am sure the new generation will. @FBJRider how about Shrek, Jeremy Kyle, The Rock and Hulk Hogan vs TMNT? probably better viewing

• thedanieljson

Mar 21st 2012, 16:06

So, what's already a dreadful and outdated concept is getting made by one of the worst directors in Hollywood. Oh joy.

• thompson1978

Mar 22nd 2012, 13:02

Remakes are surly only made for the kerching of merchandise and a quick buck. They are hardley ever for the love of the concept or the appreciation of the original. Thats why remakes suck. I'm hard pressed to find a remake better than an original so whats the point. I'm taking the same attitude as I do with those big fat gypsies If I don't look at them they will go away. Also will the Jim Henson company be making the animated costumes/puppets? No... well F*8k of then.

• thejonner

Mar 22nd 2012, 20:30

I went to the cinema this week to watch the remastered La Grande Illusion. This film has a philosphy and asks questions - without necessarily providing any answers; that's up to the viewer - about nationalism, patriotism, class, especially, and the nature of humanity and what it MEANS to be human. What are our common links? What makes us all human? What makes us the same? What makes us different? It had a profound effect on me and, although I'd seen it before, it's stuck with me all week. A seventy five year old film that still has relevance and was a joy to watch and not a, "well, it's one of those film's I OUGHT to watch." Simply wonderful. And then I read that Michael *expletive deleted* Bay is making a Turtles film. The elation I felt at Renoir's craft is leeching out of me. Why doesn't Michael Bay just f**k off?

• FBJPowers

Apr 19th 2012, 20:14

I have no desire to watch. Turtles rock tour would more entertaining.