Michael Bay talks Transformers 4

Film may spend more time in space

Transformers 4 is lumbering over the horizon, crashing and clanking into gear with Michael Bay explaining what we can expect from this latest instalment in the explosion-happy franchise.

While we already know that the fourth film won’t contain any of the original human cast members, Bay is at pains to stress the film will not be a reboot, but will take the series in a new direction.

“It’s not a reboot,” he says. “That’s maybe the wrong word. I don’t want to say reboot because then people will think we’re doing a Spider-Man and starting from the beginning. We’re not. We’re taking the story that you’ve seen — the story we’ve told in three movies already — and we’re taking it in a new direction.”

“But we’re leaving those three as the history,” he continues. “It all still counts. I met with the writer (Ehren Kruger) before I went off to do Pain And Gain and we talked about a bunch of ideas. We let that simmer for a bit. He’s been thinking about stuff and now we’re getting back together next week to see what we’ve got and to see if it gels.”

As well as revealing his intention to trim around $30 million off the budget of the last film, Bay also reacted positively when asked whether the film would spend more time in space.

“I think so, yeah, a little,” he said, when asked whether space was where the story will be set. “That feels like the way to go, doesn’t it? I want to go a little off but I don’t want to go too sci-fi. I still want to keep it grounded. That’s what works in these movies, that’s what makes it accessible.” Transformers 4 will open in the US on 27 June 2014.

Are you interested in a fourth Transformers film? Tell us, below.

Comments

• EddieFelson

Jun 22nd 2012, 8:28

What the F*ck? Don’t want to go too Sci-Fi? What is it then? Fact based drama? I wish he would just leave it alone the movies are completely and utterly turgid! Terrible acting/script/plot/direction but I guess some people like it or they wouldn’t still be making them? if it's kid's fair enough I'm sure I would have liked it but then I still think they will never better Nelson Shin's Transformers The Movie (could you imagine Bay killing off Prime? no me neither!)

• garyu2

Jun 22nd 2012, 10:06

New direction? No, he's changing the cast, that's all. Its Transformers, a movie about robots smashing each other. There aren't many different directions you can go in. Cast and location, that's about it. Parts 2 & 3 were painful experiences to sit through, can't someone stop Michael Bay?

• Kingkane

Jun 22nd 2012, 10:26

Please stop this man from making films! I sat and watched the last Transformers against my better judgement a few months ago and O can say without a show of a doubt that it was one of the worst pieces of c**p I have ever seen!

• smellyhands

Jun 22nd 2012, 10:28

Trimming 30million off the budget? Agree with garyu2, he's changing the cast. Just getting unknowns I'd imagine. Its sad I was surprised how good the first one was.

• bencobra

Jun 22nd 2012, 11:31

Although the first one is decent the last two should be a good enough reason to not make another 2. The 2nd one is possibly one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

• ilikescifi

Jun 22nd 2012, 11:47

Despite Michael Bay I'm happy to watch another 5 films of robots smashing each other and, let's face it, we will. OMG 2 was so bad tho

• ilikescifi

Jun 22nd 2012, 11:48

*correction, I prefer watching the transformations more than the fights

• Indianabones

Jun 22nd 2012, 16:21

The trouble with Transformers is it is made for the generation that needs something to happen every 30 seconds or they get bored, story, acting or direction is not needed! I just wished he concentrated on more the transformers rather than the humans! He openly admitted that he had no love for the Transformers, but what attracted him to the series was its about a boy and his car....... this was always going to be a popcorn blow c**p up movie, but it should have been so much better. Such a pity really

Jun 22nd 2012, 18:08

Again f**k Michael Bay.

• Indianabones

Jun 22nd 2012, 22:51

What did you enjoy about Dark of the moon TKoC? if you enjoyed that, then you will obviously enjoy what Bay has to offer the series

• Indianabones

Jun 23rd 2012, 22:05

You see I think the complete opposite, when the Transformers went to "go home" did anyone actually believe they did? the second one, did anyone actually care that Prime died? or did we all expect him to make a come back grow some wings which enabled him to destroy the bad guy! it was all such Pi55 poor writing! I have no bother with the acting, its an action film, she was pretty enough, Megan fox wasn't bad either but the story, being drawn into the film, caring about it just didn't happen! this series to me was just the most wasted of such potential! then again the amount of money it made, means I'm talking c**p! but see my above point

• Indianabones

Jun 24th 2012, 18:03

Just to inform you, none of the films have anything to do with the Superior and wonderfully written 80's Transformers the movie! apart from having Autobots/decepticons and having some of the names! they couldn't film that in Live action! It gets away with a lot cus its a cartoon and allowed to be fun! I didn't see much difference from No2 to No3. To me they looked like the same film, I'm just shocked they made so much money

• thejonner

Jun 24th 2012, 18:47

@Indianabones again thats fine because its your opinion & mine opinions mine. I am not arguing with you anymore. for god sake you sad pathetic b*****d. THEY ARE JUST ONLY FILMS & the main reason why people like going to see them is going they are true fans of the original animated series & the animated film like me. just shut the hell up because you are getting on my f**king nerves. for god sake. SHUT UP. :( I'm going to just come flat out and say it- KoC, you're a brain dead, pig ignorant, imbeclic, aggressive and over opinionated c u n t.

• Indianabones

Jun 24th 2012, 22:13

Those voices in your head hurting again TKoC? telling you bad bad things! my goodness, I thought to myself, no I'll give him a chance, to hell with that! what thejonner said! I completely agree, his opinion is well a truly correct! To thejonner, I bow down to you! To TKoC, you are a true idiot and know nothing about films, I can see why you enjoyed Transformers!

• Indianabones

Jun 24th 2012, 23:18

TKoC, I have seen you on the michael Bay fan page, declaring that his films are like War and Piece! you have declared that they are the best films you have ever seen! Alien 4 coming a close second! I have nothing against people in wheelchairs, or anyone that is disabled, I am sorry to see that you feel that an adequate put down is by calling some one to be disabled, I would hate for you to be associated with such decent peole. Truely amaze me! owe you wish me and jonny were pricks, but guess what, you would be rejected! even by pricks! cus you are still way below pricks and scum

• thejonner

Jun 25th 2012, 5:36

@KoC(k) You a**e - Simon West directed Con Air, not Michael Bay. It's amazing just how sweary you became in one of your latest rantings, "so dont you even dare say I dont know nothing about films you f**king piece of s**t of a s*****r who deserves to be put into a wheelchair & if you are offended by that GOOD & I dont care." You know NOTHING. You've also named almost every MIchael Bay film in your list of the ones you like. You're only missing Pearl Harbo(u)r and a couple of Transformers movies. Anyone can make a list of films, directors, anything, KoC - this does not indicate knowledge, discernement or intelligence; it indicates that you know how to cut and paste on a computer. Given your probable lack of thumbs, this is probably quite an acheivement, really. You wish people who disagree with you were in wheelchairs. Think about that. Take a good look at yourself and ask the question, "What kind of a person am I?" If you're honest with yourself, you realise that you're a juvenile, bad tempered spoilt brat. You're relentlessly offensive, about as popular as a fart in a lift and, I suspect, dreadfully lonely. Why don't you take yourself away for a while, conduct some self analysis?

• MoodyMonkey

Jun 25th 2012, 9:24

@Total Film I (and im certain, many others)have tried alerting your moderators countless times about this d******d but it has become seriously out of hand. people come here to talk film and have to be confronted with extremely offensive and upsetting comments about disabled and/or bisexual people. I'm going to find out where Dabion Donaldson works and email the manager some screen prints of his ramblings. im sure they wont be happy to know that someone who works with vulnerable disabled people has such disgusting reactionary views. PLEASE BAN THIS JUMPED UP s**tBALL FOREVER because by doing nothing you are almost as bad as him and i do love this site and the magazine. @The KOC please dont respond as i just dont want to argue with someone like you.

• apo1978

Jun 25th 2012, 11:52

I agree with you @MoodyMonkey. Can we create a petition or something? The guy is clearly a stain on all things cinema. HE should be rebooted.

• writerdave87

Jun 25th 2012, 12:26

The fact you might be in a position of responsibility around young vulnerable people is genuinely extremely disturbing. I can't think of someone less qualified to be around young minds than that psychotic hateful c**t.

• writerdave87

Jun 25th 2012, 12:27

Guys, the online editor's email is here: sarah.cohen@futurenet.com . Try e-mailing her en-masse about Dalidab, it might pay off.

• MoodyMonkey

Jun 25th 2012, 12:58

Hi Sarah, i have been buying your magazine, Total Film, for a number of years and recently signd up to your website so i can engage with other like minded film fans in generally very positive debate. of course it can sometimes be a bit sweary and out of context but this does often help to create a sense of community and i feel that being a part of this community has really helped me expand my film knowledge and respectfully appreciate others views. however there is one member of the community who i and many others feel often goes way too far. his online handle is 'The King Of Cinema'. an example of his negativity is in the link at the top of my message or you can just review the Transformer 4 news article. I really feel that he is bringing the whole site down. film fans who read your magazine will inevitably join your website only to be confronted by his extremely offensive views on sexuality and disability and this cannot be doing Total Film and Future Publishing any favours. i have personally felt quite upset at reading his comments regarding disability as i have worked with disabled people myself and on learning he also does this work is horrifying to say the least. i know he has been banned before and im certain you will already be aware of his exploits but please would you review the situation again? thank you Stephen Doherty (aka MoodyMonkey)

• MoodyMonkey

Jun 25th 2012, 13:17

• thejonner

Jun 25th 2012, 13:41

I take it then, KoC(k), that you won't be performing any methods of self assesment. You have told me, repeatedly, as it happens, that you hope I end up in a wheelchair (crippled, presumably) and die of cancer. This is how you react to people who disagree with you and point out that you're an aggressive and disturbingly vile person. Anyone else might wonder why people think that - they may question their own actions and conduct. Not you, though. You're symptomatic of a generation that feels, as long as there will be no direct physical consequence, that using forums and message boards to insult strangers is a valid act. It's not. You post and post and post and, if what I read is true, you're not even particularly concerned about letting the world know your real name and where you live. Not too bright - you may well end up upsetting the wrong person and they may take it upon themselves to visit you. Let me state now that I am NOT threatening you; I'm pointing out to you that your rabid outbursts may have unpleasant repercussions for you. I feel sorry for you, in all honesty.

• writerdave87

Jun 25th 2012, 16:35

Complained. Also looking into the new laws on internet trolling.

• chrysler

Jun 25th 2012, 17:46

michael bay is a man-child that likes to crash his toys together and make noises. unfortunately those toys cost millions and are filmed to torture cinema goers. I honestly cant see any reason for this trash. speaking of a man-child making noise, these and previous rants by TKOC are seriously messed up and offensive to regular and casual readers of these forums and I back that petition. Total film ask patrons to "sound off" about films that they write about yet he always seems to degrade these forums and anger said patrons. TF should take a responsibility of sorts and ban him and any other pseudonyms he may take in the future if this behaviour continues. I appreciate that he may have a learning difficulty but that is no excuse for the extent of his offensive behaviour here or anywhere else.

• alexr

Jun 26th 2012, 16:45

@TheKingofCinema Having read the start of the arguement above, I think you may have overreacted somewhat to @indianabones comment that the Transformers films are nothing like the animated movie. He was just stating a fact. The Michael Bay films ARE NOTHING like the animated movie. He didn't have a go at you, and he wasn't rude or offensive, yet you seemed to go off on him for no really obvious reason. What came next was pretty f*****g disgusting and disgraceful (the less said about wishing people into wheelchairs and suffering cancer the better) and does not ever win any arguements or win you any respect on these boards from anyone. Yes, I know that others on these boards bite back at you (and sometimes a case can be made for you being goaded into your infamous rants). I am not a hater, but RESPECT IS NOT A GIFT - RESPECT IS EARNED. Adn currently, I cannot respect you. You have your opinions and you are free to share your thoughts (about movies) in here, and being civilised with people is how you earn respect. I have been civil to everyone on these boards (even you) and I am greeted with nice feedback and pleasent responses. Sometimes, comments do rub me up the wrong way and I do find some things on these boards offensive. I will name no names as I generally just want to share comments, thoughts and jokes with the rest of the people on here. What you said about yourself: "I am god. king. judge. jury & executioner on these comment boards..." It's OK to believe that, but it means nothing if the rest of the users on here don't respect you. And by posting the types of sick rants you posted towards 'indianabones' and 'thejonner', you are starting to show you that you don't even respect yourself that much. PLEASE...prove me wrong. Rise above it... And, by the way, I just thought you should know...you don't get paid for performing in 'Amateur' theatre. I know this because I spent 15 years as a performer on the North London Amateur circuit, and have appeared in close to 100 productions. It you get paid for it, then it is not an amateur production and you can't call yourself an 'amateur'. If you HAVE been highly paid for it as you say (and I am NOT saying you haven't) I just hope you have been advising the tax office of your earnings correctly. So many people don't. And I would hate to see you accused of Tax Evasion...

• alexr

Jun 26th 2012, 16:49

@TheKingofCinema And just in case you decide you don't like what I have written above, I have already alerted a moderator to my own comment. Call it a peace offering...

• alexr

Jun 26th 2012, 16:54

Oh Dear...It seems that, while I was leaving my big "Respect Yourself. Respect Others" speech, TheKingofCinema had his comments removed from the boards. Has he been banned again?!

• writerdave87