Michael Fassbender to star in and produce Assassin’s Creed

Prometheus actor lines up videogame adaptation

Michael Fassbender will star in and produce the movie version of the astonishingly popular Assassin’s Creed videogame series.

In a surprising piece of news, Variety is reporting that Fassbender’s DMC Film will co-produce the adaptation with Ubisoft Motion Pictures, with the X-Men: First Class actor looking to take the lead role.

That lead role being the decidedly unheriocally-named Desmond Miles, a descendant of several generation of Assassins who is forced to travel back in time to kill various people and collect various items.

Given that the games blend slick historical action with time travel, a big-screen treatment was never really in doubt, and with multiple games already released, this comes stamped with 'franchise potential'.

Fassbender’s had an incredible run of late – appearing in five films in 2011, and this summer’s Prometheus – and he’ll next be seen in Twelve Years A Slave and Ridley Scott's The Counselor. There’s also the small matter of an X-Men: First Class sequel to keep him busy.

But is Assassin’s Creed a wise move for him? Videogame adaptations are hardly ever (OK, never) good, but with Fassbender involved, we’ll follow this one closely.

Don’t expect to see this one before 2014.

Is Fassbender the right person for this mission? Have your say below…

Comments

• candrabelle

Jul 9th 2012, 14:02

I LOVE Michael Fassbender and Assassin's Creed! but isn't Desmond/Altair supposed to be younger. Michael looks a bit older than the characters'. I could be wrong though. AC finally gets a movie though. So YAY for that :D. Please don't screw this one up, Hollywood.

• EddieFelson

Jul 9th 2012, 14:22

I love the majority of Fassbender's movies and I don’t think the age matters too much but given previous game to film incarnations I am extremely dubious to say the least!

• jaykays hat

Jul 9th 2012, 14:26

I always thought they should make an Assassins Creed movie from when the first game came out. Not too sure about Fass playing the lead role though, I'd want someone a bit more dark and mysterious.

• alexr

Jul 9th 2012, 15:05

The biggest issue with Game-to-Film translations has always been the scripts. Usually, a studio picks up on a popular game (I say popular, but Uwe Boll doesn't seem to understand even that) and churns out a by-the-(negative)-numbers B-movie to cash in on the game's title. They try to make what thay think will appease gamers and movie goers and generally fail to deliver any quality. Hopefully, Fassbender is a fan of the games, and as a producer/star, will hopefully retain enough of the series' originality and genius, while preserving his integrity as an actor and film-maker. I have reasonably high hopes for this...

Jul 9th 2012, 15:40

Surprised and intrigued by this news, hopefully it means Michael has actually played the game.

Jul 9th 2012, 15:57

Well look how hollywood lobotomised Resident Evil for the fat-wristed masses, who couldn't bear to be taxed with notions such as 'suspense', ''characters' and 'plot'. Same goes for the Hitman shambles. Hitman is a clinical killing machine, he does not empathise or leave witness. You really want to leave it up to Hollywood to produce a video games? Theres only disappointment waiting. God knows what they'll do with the Elder Scrolls series.

• Heisenberg

Jul 9th 2012, 16:04

I survived a resident evil marathon yesterday! It was hard going at times (that's what she said) but i've survived, and i feel like a stronger person for having come through it. I did slightly lose my sight in my left eye and the ability to speak for a short while but thankfully it came back. A rather foxy Jill Valentine, Ali Larter's a**e and the cuteness of K-mart got me through them. But yes, they are f*****g horrendous.

• jordancostello

Jul 9th 2012, 16:10

No , Fassbender is not the right person to play the main character because you need someone who has experience with action since the main character kills a lot of people using skills and stunts so i was think someone like Chris Hemsworth from Thor or Danny Trejo from Machete since he has been in some good Action Movies so Michael Fassbender is not the right person to play the main character in the movie version of Assassin's Creed

• smellyhands

Jul 9th 2012, 16:28

Hemsworth or Trejo.? Huh and hah? Seriously? Thats a mad opinion. But its yours to have. I could see Fassbender as being a very good assassin. Age shouldn't be a problem. My only concern is that it will more than likely end up being garbage like every other videogame adaptation.

• FBJRider

Jul 9th 2012, 16:32

Well the closest to a good gamefilm was probably Prince of Persia. It was a great film compared to every other game adaptation. I have faith in Fassbender so I hope he doesn't let me down.

• SiMan

Jul 9th 2012, 17:14

@FBJRider - i hated Prince of Persisa, purely on the fact that the game's story is paced, structured and just plain done bettter. As a film on its own, its alright, but as an adaptation i hated it. As a budding screenwriter, it always irks me when i see a film come out based on a game that doesn't follow what happens in said game at all. As someone mentioned above, all Hollywood does is take a basic concept or character and churn out whatever story they think fits them. Why does no-one adapt a game like you would adapt a book. Especially nowadays, where a lot of the great games have strong enough stories and plots to rival most hollywood films. It vexes me...I am terribly vexed.

• samjamjar

Jul 9th 2012, 18:45

As long as they work closely with the people who made the games I can see this working, If they bring over the art director, etc to work on the movie then i don't see why this can't work. Although Fassbender wouldn't be my first choice I can see him bringing something good to the table. The whole idea behind the AC franchise is such a good one though that it almost HAS to be made into a film (franchise).

• wheresmikenow

Jul 9th 2012, 19:37

Could this be his first mistake? Hmmm

• mushroomboom

Jul 9th 2012, 19:40

Huh, definitely didn't see that coming. Fassbender is certainly a more than good enough actor for the role, though I don't think he's ever produced anything. I'm more sceptical about having Desmond Miles as a main character, I'd much prefer simply using him as a backdrop to a historical conspiracy film. Still, I'll certainly hold my judgment until I see some form of plot synopsis of trailer. I just hope that, if they focus on Altaïr's story, they'll cast properly with mostly ethnic people from around the Holy Land in the respective roles rather than whitewashing on the same scale as was done with The Last Airbender.

• Materialman

Jul 10th 2012, 3:55

It was hard going at times (that's what she said) but i've survived, and i feel like a stronger person for having come through it. [img]http://www.demama.info/g.gif[/img]

• ilikescifi

Jul 10th 2012, 3:57

Fassbender is sexy and dark but I always imagined Miles to be much younger. I'm sure they'll write around that somehow. As for Prince of Persia, it was like a standard hollywood actioner that had the Prince of Persia logo stamped on it, it was like some weird sequel to Pirate of the Caribbean. It had nothing of the 'feel' of the games. Again, lol hadouken76 'fat wristed'

• bencobra

Jul 10th 2012, 10:59

@wheresmikenow First mistake? I suggest you check out Jonah Hex.

• alexr

Jul 10th 2012, 11:03

@jordancostello IMHO, I think Trejo is too old, and Hemsworth too...errr...big and 'nordic looking' to be able to convincingly play a lithe European Assassin. Still, if Hollywood does butcher this, there are worse casting choices to be made. Justin Bieber for one. Milla Jovovich another...

• QuietLife

Jul 11th 2012, 19:13

I'd like to see bencobra's Jonah Hex, and raise you Centurion. Not diabolical in the same way Hex was but still a mistake.

• chrysler

Jul 12th 2012, 21:07

@Heisenberg: Good to see that you survived the RE marathon, hope your sight is back to normal (but what about the scars on your soul!!!). for your next daring escapade you could try an Underworld franchise marathon , however you risk losing so many of your senses that you could be the next Helen Keller.