Michael Gough dies aged 94

Batman actor passes away

michael gough

Batman actor Michael Gough has died aged 94.

The British actor is mostly widely recognised for his role as Bruce Wayne’s butler Alfred in the late '80s - early '90s Batman films – beginning with Tim Burton’s first Batman in 1989.

Gough would continue to work with Burton for the rest of his career, with a role in Sleepy Hollow, and voice work in Corpse Bride and Alice In Wonderland.

With a total 150 credits to his name, Gough worked in both TV and film.

His other notable appearances include playing The Celestial Toymaker in a 1966 episode of Doctor Who, as well as parts in Hammer Films Dracula (1958) and The Phantom Of The Opera (1962).

Gough is survived by his fourth wife Henrietta Gough.

What was your favourite Gough film? Talk to us below...

Comments

• liamio2802

Mar 18th 2011, 10:01

Will forever be Dr.Paul Flammond to me

• MadMatt

Mar 18th 2011, 15:15

A wonderful actor, and still my favourite Alfred. He'll be missed.

• johnnybeyond

Mar 18th 2011, 20:00

I totally agree about Alfred; Caine does a great job and should get his due... but my sentimental favorite will always be Gough because he labored in relative obscurity in a lot of bad british movies for many years... and it was as if Tim Burton had found a favorite toy of mine that had gotten trashed by a busy mom, and cleaned and polished it and gave it a display case of honor. No joke. Check out Gough in KONGA (1961) as the loony doctor responsible for a London based Kong-b*****d child; He's at his most delicious just before he's crushed. "Konga,NO!!!" has stayed in my ears for years. Also, see him as the Auctioneer in THE SKULL, and in the two dreggiest of Joan Crawfords final dregs, BERSERK and TROG. Along with DeForest Kelley and Leonard Nimoy... Michael Gough is one of my favorite "eyebrow actors" of all time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• HarleyquinnLove

Mar 18th 2011, 21:19

RIP

• MadMatt

Mar 18th 2011, 21:27

Here's a sweet little tribute from his best Batman, Michael Keaton: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/michael-gough-tribute-batman-michael-169199

• MadMatt

Mar 19th 2011, 15:44

@dalidab1982, Glad you liked it. It's stirring a hornets' nest to start talking on the internet about the best screen Batman, but I have to say I agree with you...