Michael Shannon talks Man Of Steel: the CGI suit and Goyer's script

“We all looked like a bunch of dorks”

Having made his presence felt in the latest trailer and viral material, Michael Shannon has taken time out to talk about his role as General Zod and Man Of Steel in general.

The first point of business is that rather impressive suit, which Shannon is happy to confirm as an entirely CGI creation.

“I never wore the armour,” reveals Shannon. “That is a CG outfit, I think I can say that without getting assassinated, yes. Honestly, the armour would be very heavy… they wanted me to have freedom of movement.

“So every time you see me in that metal suit just close your eyes and imagine me in an Arlequino outfit; green, red, blue, with the little tight around the midsection. Yeah, we all looked like a bunch of dorks.”

Shannon is understandably guarded when it comes to plot specifics, although he does talk about David S. Goyer’s script in general, about which he seems overwhelmingly positive.

“I thought the whole script was just very sophisticated for the genre that it is,” says Shannon. “It was as sophisticated as scripts for other movies I’ve done that have been considered more highfalutin, or whatever. It has a lot of deep themes in it, and the way they deal with Kal-El’s journey is really fascinating.”

Directed by Zack Snyder and co-starring Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Kevin Costner and Russell Crowe, Man Of Steel will open in the UK on 14 June 2013.

What do you think of Shannon as Zod? Let us know, below!

Comments

• marcogigantes77

Apr 23rd 2013, 10:52

"MAN OF STEEL" also stars Oscar nominees LAURENCE FISHBURNE as Perry White and DIANE LANE as Martha Kent.

• trist808

Apr 23rd 2013, 11:07

Oh no, another DC character with a fully CGI suit! When will they learn?? lol ... I think his suit will look better than GL's all-CGI gubbins though, from the looks of the trailer the suit is pretty awesome ... and @marcogigantes77, you are becoming annoying now, stop it.

• CaptainCrazy

Apr 23rd 2013, 11:33

Directors who have experience in VFX can do wonders with proper implementation of CGI (See Iron Man, LOTR, Snyder back catalogue, Michael Bay films, yes really, and the Avengers). The suit looks photorealistic to me.

• stonedjohn

Apr 23rd 2013, 11:40

@marcogigantes77 - appreciate you clearly have a b***r for Laurence and Diane but surely they'll be playing minor roles!? You're insistance on them being listed on every Man of Steel related article is surely the same as insisting Christopher Walken and Dennis Hopper be declared the stars of True Romance, or Hugh Jackman the star of X-Men First Class (sorry to anyone if that's spoilt that cameo for you, but to be fair if you ain't seen it yet you probably aren't that fussed).

• trist808

Apr 23rd 2013, 11:42

Agreed @CaptainCrazy, I was surprised to discover it's a full CGI suit because it looks so impressive in the shots I've seen so far. You are right, Snyder can use CGI a lot better (and the effects-house he employs) than most directors. Although Sucker Punch was a disappointing film, visually there were some amazing moments and great CGI shots in there. Very much looking forward to seeing Man Of Steel regardless.

• CaptainCrazy

Apr 23rd 2013, 12:13

@trist808 - I would go as far as to say this will be Blockbuster of the Year. Warner's will not have any problems getting my ticket, it's just those nitwits who still maintain that Superman is a dull character that they have to worry about.

• trist808

Apr 23rd 2013, 12:37

Then let the nitwits miss out. The character has been around for decades, if he were THAT dull, his popularity would have died out years ago, yet he seems even more popular nowadays. I think there's a lot of people, especially online, who just bash stuff for the sake of it. This will be the "event" blockbuster of the year, as much hype as IM3 and Star Trek are getting, I think Man Of Steel is the big one this year, without a doubt, especially after last week's trailer, how can you not be excited after watching that? Personally, I will probably enjoy IM3 and Star Trek more (that's just because of my own Marvel-led sensibilities and being a HUGE Star Trek fan) but I feel MOS will feature in my Top 10 at the end of the year :)

• SiMan

Apr 23rd 2013, 13:01

This is shaping up to be as good as Nolan's bat films from what we've seen so far. I've always been a fan of the Superman stuff and never really understood why fans of comics/superheroes always slate him as a character, saying that he's not interesting and 'too powerful'. There must be something appealing about him, because am i right in thinking he is the comic character that has been portrated on screen (both small and big) the most? - there've been a couple of animated series over the years, those old George Reeve tv ones, the Christopher Reeves ones, Dean Cain ones, Smallville.....obviously people like the character enough to watch him on screen. I personally think that this will be the film of the year and am really looking forward to it. Just hope Warners don't tarnish it by rushing through a Justice League movie and disregarding what has come before.

• marcogigantes77

Apr 23rd 2013, 13:26

stonedjohn... Thanks for your comments. I do not want to say too much here as it might go into spoiler territory but you will see come June 14th that Henry Cavill alone is the undoubted lead in the film. NOBODY else has anywhere near the screentime as he has. Amy Adams is more in it towards the middle and end. With regards to Laurence Fishnburne...yes it is a supporting part but a sizable one. Diane Lane as Martha Kent is in this film a lot... it is a key role including Kal-El's arrival, childhood, right through the "twister/hurricane" sequence to the Kryptonian attack on Smallville, through to the end. Her part inparticular (whilst not a lead role) is far bigger than Kevin Costner (Pa Kent), and Russell Crowe (Jor-El). Yet, they are always mentioned at TotalFilm when Fishburne and Lane are not. Eitherway... the film looks great and I am looking forward to it immensely. Zack Snyder and the production team are very VERY pleased with it and proud of it! Enjoy!

• moviemind91

Apr 23rd 2013, 15:02

I Dix not know this and I have to say that is very impressive CGI there! Green Lantern take note!

• moviemind91

Apr 23rd 2013, 15:02

Did*

Apr 23rd 2013, 15:48

Caption Michael Shannon in that picture...........he's just been told Futurama has been canceled again.