New Amazing Spider-Man images online (UPDATED!)

Hi-res pics of webshooters, costume, plus - see Garfield climb!

The latest issue of US mag Entertainment Weekly has published new pics from web-slinging reboot The Amazing Spider-Man.

We get a good look at Spidey's new mechanical web-shooters, a better back view of the new costume plus a terrific shot of what looks like Andrew Garfield on the ceiling of a Tube train.

Still early days, but we're now looking forward to seeing more at Comic-Con in a couple of weeks - and it's good to see the theory of Garfield's Spidey finally put into practice.

Excited? Or does it just look like the original Spider-Man with Andy instead of Tobey? Speak your brains below...

Comments

• therealeverton

Jul 14th 2011, 9:23

Or the dodgy 1980's original TV series edited into a movie. Web-Shooters eh... not cinematic methinks. It's weird because i kind of don' want the film to exist at all and would much rather have had Spider-Man 4 with poor old Dylan Baker finally getting to become The Lizard., but I'm a massive Spider-Man fan and have been since I was 4, maybe younger. Loved the comics, loved the cartoons (mostly) loved Raimi's movies. Love - hate with this film.

• therealeverton

Jul 14th 2011, 9:26

... In other words I'm fooling nobody into thinking I won't be seeing this film on opening night...

• KingofSpain

Jul 14th 2011, 9:35

Tobey Maguire was a terrible Peter Parker, and I can tell from one dodgy scan that Garfield will make for a terrific Parker/Spiderman. As for the rest of the film who knows, still feel its too soon for a reboot. In a way I'd have preferred if Raimi had never made those films, I don't think they're ageing very well, a bit like Singer's X-Men movies, seemed to be pretty good at the time, but start to increasingly whiff of cheese as time goes by.

• ChrisWootton

Jul 14th 2011, 9:38

Excellent quality images.... thanks. I'm with the majority of people who really thinks this isn't needed but, there's nothing we can do... it's coming. Mark Webber is a good choice for director though, I really enjoyed 500 days of Summer so I'm interested for that reason alone. Who know's, it might s**t all over Raimi's version.

Jul 14th 2011, 10:41

Agree with therealeverton, they built up Dr Connors and then decided to ditch him at the last moment, it would of been a more emotional battle than a 30yr old 'teenager' basically telling the same story from 10 years ago and Mark Webber should really concentrate on driving for RedBull and leave this directing malarkey for when he has a day off...hehehe

• Peachy556

Jul 14th 2011, 10:51

Whatever your thoughts on the costume and effects set up, (and personally I think they look fantastic) you simply cannot argue with a cast this terrific. 90% of directing is the casting, and Webb had f*****g Jim Cameron on hand for the other 10%. This is shaping up very nicely

• badger86

Jul 14th 2011, 11:09

I'm good with the reboot. It had to happen eventually, how long are we gonna watch a rapidly ageing Maguire run around in that suit. Besides Raimis first spidey flick was at best ok, the second was great and the third was poor, one out of three isn't the best average and doesn't indicate that we missed out on something particularly special with his proposed fourth film (although malkovich as vulture could've been something). And really we have little idea how this reboot will be handled, yes it seems to be some sort of origin story again, and i agree this is unnecessary however you would think webb and co. will recognise this and go about it in a way that perhaps is unexpected, just to keep things fresh. One last thing, surely we can all agree that no more Kirsten Dunst is a very good thing.

• StevePotter

Jul 14th 2011, 15:14

Every time I read news about this film, my hope for it to be any good grows less and less each day. Can we maybe focusing on rebooting the Marvel COMICS like DC is doing? Because they screwed up Spider-Man far more than Sam Raimi did. And this costume looks horrible.

Jul 14th 2011, 16:53

The costume looks fine, I just don't like the idea of web shooters.

• KingofSpain

Jul 14th 2011, 17:11

@dalidab1982 - so you're saying Ghost Rider (tee hee) is going to be bigger than The Avengers??

• KingofSpain

Jul 14th 2011, 18:02

Trust me, any movie which contains Downey Jr, Renner, Ruffalo, Johansen AND S. L. Jackson is going to be a force to be reckoned with. Ghost Rider will struggle to keep up at the Box Office with that, let alone Spiderman, Batman and Superman.

• superman56

Jul 14th 2011, 20:54

I'm not sure if andrew carfield looks like a geek enough the costume looks amazing dark very cool but can't wait to see some footage hurry up comic con. We will have to wait and see he coulc still prove everybody wrong and be amazing but I just don't see a geeky parker but I do see a good spiderman

• Indianabones

Jul 14th 2011, 21:53

I got to say I am really looking forward to this, and I am very impressed they are going with the Gwen Stacy story! this should have been done in Raimi's version. Then can't wait to see MJ brought in later on. I think Garfield looks perfect

• Peachy556

Jul 15th 2011, 9:57

@dalidab1982 Ghost Rider 2 vs Spider-Man ? You're an idiot if you think that Ghost Rider will be better. First off, it's being directed by the men who made the Crank films, Spidey is being directed by the man who made 500 Days of Summer, so the human drama is bound to be good, the cast for Spidey is miles ahead of the losers they dragged in for Ghost Rider (Christopher Lambert ? Really ?). Plus, the SpiderMan film isn't burdened by having to make Nicholas Cage look like a believable human being. Who cares about web shooters ? Why let such a tiny element ruin such a big film, thats just sad. And on the subject of Hulk, lets not judge Ruffalo, a man easily, if not more, talented than Norton before we've even seen any footage

• trist808

Jul 15th 2011, 11:41

The Wolverine will beat all of them!!!! lol :) Hahaha, seriously though, I think we're gonna be spoiled by the output of Superhero / comic book adaptations next year, it potentially could be the best year so far. This year's crop have been great, the three I've seen this year have all been excellent in my opinion and we've still got Captain America to come (which I've heard is fantastic and by all accounts may be the best one out of the lot). As for The Amazing Spider-Man next year, I, like many people, was bitterly disappointed by Spider-Man 3 and I think a reboot is a much better option than continuing with a fourth installment. From what I've seen so far I'm very excited by this, love the casting and the new look of Spidey himself ... and as a life-long fan since I was 8 ... so 1980 ... I love the fact they're going with mechanical web-shooters rather than the organic form we've previously seen in the films. It's more traditional and fits in better with the comic book origins ... Maguire's Parker was never really given the chance to show how intelligent he truly is, he builds these things from scratch after all ... I'm really looking forward to seeing this.

• Alcatrazisland

Jul 15th 2011, 14:21

I like so many others am not a fan of Spider-man 3, but I loved 1 and 2 (never thought when I was reading the comics as a kid and watching the old Nicholas Hammond films/tv show that I would ever get to see a believable Spidey vs Doc Ock battle on the big screen!!) Loving the new casting, and interested to see how the new film shapes up, the only thing I'm not 100% on is the new costume. I'm liking the design appart from the odd gloves with the blue fingers and blue spiralling round the wrist...?? Looks kind of like ther ran out of red material!! And with the feet on the previous picture they released (Spidey crouched in a web shooting pose) the lines on the feet run in competing directions and it looks a bit slap dash. And looks a bit baggy round the ankles in the previous shot too!!. I know these are little details that won't affect the film (and as I said I am really looking forward to seeing this new version) it's just every time I see another shot of the movie my eye is drawn to these little niggles and it bugs me!!

• J1084

Jul 15th 2011, 19:03

You know what bugs me? Whatever website you go on people are complaining about stupid things like the costumes wrong, he's too skinny and won't be as good as Raimi's. Clearly these idiots have never read the comics and so are basing all there opinions on the suck-fest that was Raimi! Thats right, Raimis films sucked.... Want proof... here goes: 1 Spidey was a sarcastic and funny superhero. He never shut up. He'd stand in front of kingpin and say stuff like "are you aware your belly button echo's" - But in raimis version spidey was a mute. You could count his line on one hand. 2 Spidey is a whimpy looking guy - in raimis version he's buff over night - ok... and where the hell did he get the suit from! 3 Doc ock was an Iconic, evil dude - Raimi made him a sad figure who wasn't bad .... Okkkkkay! 4 Sandman was another evil and Iconic villian but raimi says noooo we can't have him be evil lets make him the father of a sick kid 5 Peter parker is a inteligent nerd but not an emo, dancing, whining, irritating momma's ... sorry aunties boy... that tobey made him. 6 Power ranger green goblin, second green goblin that isn't a goblin but a surfer and don't, just don't mention venom (There's a character you can't do justice to in 13 minutes of screen time.... oh wait thats what raimi tried to do) And now reason why this reboot will work. when compared with the comics 1 Spidey has webshooter - check 2 Spidey is a skinny dude - Check 3 Gwen stacy was the first main girlfriend - Check 4 Peter was a geek but not a car wreck - Check People need to stop complaining ... oh and in the ultimate version of spider-man.. the one this one is meant to be inspired by - the wrestling fed made him his costume... looks like an adapted wresling outfit to me. At the end of the day we want a reboot based on 60 years of comics and not 3 unfortunate films of the last decade. This is what we wanted back in 2001! Oh yeah, didn't people complain when they saw the new batsuit for begins... yeah and look how that worked out!

• Indianabones

Jul 15th 2011, 23:28

@J1084- I agree with you on most what you said, The Raimi films weren't true to the comics and he should have done the Gwen Stacy story in the first one, I wont even mention the 3rd awful film! But I do agree with the natural web shooters, even as a child I always thought he should have produced his own web, and as Raimi said, if all the scientists in the world can't even close to come up with any substance as strong as actual spider webbing, but a school kid manages to think it up in his cellar.... it is crazy..... then again it is a comic and its all fantasy, but I do prefer the natural web than mechanical.......

• J1084

Jul 16th 2011, 9:51

@Indianabones - Kinda agree with you but again you can't quote Raimi as talking sense... he can't see making webshooters realistic but hey four robot arms with a mind of their own that can control mini suns.... okkkaaayyyyy! My only beef with organic webs would be the location they shoot out of.... spidey swining around via his bum like most spiders wouldnt look too graceful would it??