New Dredd poster is an apocalyptic work of art

Judgement is coming...

With Dreddblazing into cinemas this September, Lionsgate has released a new poster for the apocalyptic comic adap, and it’s a fiery beauty.

Showing off Karl Urban as the eponymous anti-hero, we get Dredd in full-on action pose, that jaw set stonily as he wields a futuristic-looking gun.

Meanwhile, the backdrop is a burnt-out Mega-City One, which affords the poster a tangible atmosphere of doom.

Moody, gritty and eye-catching, this new one-sheet has us even more excited about Dredd’s big screen reboot than ever. It couldn't be further away from Sly Stallone's terrible '95 version if it tried.

Check out the full poster below…

Dredd opens in cinemas on 7 September 2012.

What do you think of the new poster? Tell us below...

Comments

Aug 3rd 2012, 8:59

Nice, although for some reason it reminds me of the Skyrim one.

• QuietLife

Aug 3rd 2012, 10:06

Grrr... Ever since Terminator 2 I've had a major beef with the spelling of Judgment/Judgement. It just looks wrong without the first 'e'! Anyway, pedantic moaning aside I like the poster. It's a little bit Dark Knight Rises-y.

• Heisenberg

Aug 3rd 2012, 10:42

@quiet, how can you argue about a word looking wrong when it is spelled correctly?? I've never heard that kind of argument before, that's a bit weird haha. Bit yeah, looks grim, gritty, can't wait for it.

• badger86

Aug 3rd 2012, 11:19

Can't wait! Also, the "futuristic looking gun" is called the 'Lawgiver'.

• Heisenberg

Aug 3rd 2012, 11:28

@end, i know we don't i was merely commenting that it's weird to do so lol. But your right, that IS Dredd.

• mattburgess

Aug 3rd 2012, 12:09

So nobody is going to mention the poster/dvd cover for Daredevil?

• smellyhands

Aug 3rd 2012, 13:19

http://www.impawards.com/2003/daredevil.html Quite similar indeed.

• tippigolucky

Aug 3rd 2012, 21:20

That does look pretty great (love me some Lena Headey), but I don't know if I buy Karl Urban as Dredd. And let's show some love for Sly Stallone! His Judge Dredd was campy and fun (plus his emphatic "I AM THE LAW!" was a bit more convincing than Urban's ;)

Aug 3rd 2012, 23:24

The trailer has killed my enthusiasm for this.

• EddieFelson

Aug 4th 2012, 9:50

Makes me laugh how sp many people b***h and moan about Zack Snyder using too much slow mo and then go crazy for the Dredd trailer which looks like it could have been directed by him anyway?

• LongDown

Aug 4th 2012, 10:13

Looks like a good poster for a film... BUT too dark for a Dredd film. I know comic heroes often benefit from looking less camp on the big screen (Tim Burtons Batman, Nolan's ditto, for example) but let's have colour for a change! Dredd should be operating in a universe that looks like the Fifth Element gone wrong. Colour, humour, insanity.

• LongDown

Aug 4th 2012, 10:18

What happened to Dredd's drill-sergeant like pride in his uniform? It just looks like he's nicked his leathers from Mad Max! . . . . Mmmm, 'Judge Dredd Vs Mad Max' ... could almost work.

• QuietLife

Aug 4th 2012, 16:40

@Heisenberg I know, I wasn't so much moaning at the spelling more my silly brain telling me it's incorrectly spelt when it actually isn't! I have to say though that I'm actually looking forward to this movie far more than I thought I would.