New featurette for Prometheus: watch now

Focusing on the good ship herself

Prometheus has released a new behind-the-scenes featurette in which Ridley Scott’s cast and crew discuss the creation of the ship from which the movie takes its name.

Production Designer Arthur Max has clearly worked extremely hard to avoid the clichés usually associated with the conventional big-screen spaceship, and from the looks of things, he’s succeeded in spectacular style.

As Charlize Theron and Michael Fassbender say themselves, the interior of the Prometheus looks to be an utterly immersive environment, and just about as far removed from the scruffy old Nostromo as you could wish for.

Take a look at the new featurette, below...

Part of Ridley Scott’s decision to return to sci-fi rested upon whether or not it was possible to do something new within a distinctly well-worn genre, and clearly that perspective has informed every element of the production, from the storyline right down to the nuts and bolts of the ship.

Prometheus opens in the UK on 1 June 2012. That’s this Friday. Let the countdown begin!

What do you think of the ship's look? Tell us, below...

Comments

May 29th 2012, 9:09

Thats it, when I get home I'm playing Mass Effect.

• EddieFelson

May 29th 2012, 9:34

I’m going to play the Alien Quad; with any luck I will be asleep before 3!

• EddieFelson

May 29th 2012, 9:47

Actually I like 3 as long as you don’t compare it to the first 2... Oh and 4 as well never mind could be a worse way to spend a day!

• nacho316

May 29th 2012, 10:27

3 sleeps!

• 2Dglasses

May 29th 2012, 11:37

3 suffers from the setup facehuggers which make no sense, and some ropey CGI. the story changing every 3 minutes probably didnt help. The "scruffy old nostromo" (42 million in adjusted dollars, thats minus payload) actually looks like a spaceship might look. used. functional but not luxurious. plus the design helped to hide the monster and create unease. now we have a super shiny ship coming to find who knows what, and yet in the future they send a rust bucket full of expendable non-specialists. yet again if not done VERY well this is going to make the canon of alien 1-4 very far fetched.

• Trickycustomer

May 29th 2012, 15:18

booked front row dead center seats opening night roll on friday! :-D

• ChrisWootton

May 29th 2012, 15:39

3's biggest mistake was killing off Hicks and Newt, it sort of made Aliens completely worthless as everything they had to go through to escape ended up meaningless. that was the best way for the film to have any character driven moments. It basically ended up trying to be the same as Alien.. one creature, minimal weapons etc. I actually don't mind it, the directors cut was much better than the cinema release.. Like Sir Riddus has said... never understood why they didn't look at the Derelict ship in ALien and start asking questions about what the xenomorph actually is and where does it come from? Instead they just copied the same template over and over again with worsening results each time.

• Indianabones

May 29th 2012, 17:51

Did anyone get the feeling Ms Weaver had a little too much power over the direction of 3 and 4....... I just remember watching an interview and it did appear like that..... still tickets booked for sunday at London Imax! anyone makes any noise behind me and I promise they will get hit lol very jealous trickycustomer

• Trickycustomer

May 29th 2012, 18:18

@Indianabones - it's got to be done man I like to stretch my legs too lol I'm pretty sure UK cinemas especially Imax would put ours (isle of man) to shame

• EddieFelson

May 30th 2012, 10:03

I’m middle centre at the BFI cannot wait and I too will give a big fat face hugger to any rustlers around me