New image of Jaden Smith in After Earth

The star suits-up for M Night Shyamalan’s new one

A glut of on-set images have recently emerged from the Costa Rican shoot of M Night Shyamalan’s After Earth, but up until now, they’ve mainly featured Will Smith and son Jaden lounging about in their civvies.

However, a new image has now been released featuring Jaden Smith in his full costume, and it’s starting to give us some idea of the kind of visual aesthetic we can expect from the film.

Set some thousand years in the future, After Earth tells the story of a young boy and his estranged father attempting to navigate a desolate and dangerous Earth when their ship crashes and maroons them.

That’s about as much as we know plot-wise, but this new image reveals that our heroes will be sporting some sort of second-skin, presumably designed to help them survive this newly inhospitable Earth.

Co-starring Zoe Kravitz, Sophie Okonedo, and Isabelle Fuhrman, After Earth is slated to open in the UK on 7 June 2013. Will this be the film that kick-starts Shyamalan’s career? Put it this way, it can’t be any worse than The Last Airbender

Does Shyamalan still excite you, or have you run out of patience? Tell us, below.

Comments

• FBMStanford

Feb 16th 2012, 9:07

Anyone looking at the "second-skin" and thinking Dune?

• ilikescifi

Feb 16th 2012, 10:23

• ChrisWootton

Feb 16th 2012, 12:06

Anyone looking at M.Night Shyalaman and thinking... it's going to be s**t?

• ChrisWootton

Feb 16th 2012, 12:06

Anyone looking at M.Night Shyalaman and thinking... it's going to be s**t?

• alexr

Feb 16th 2012, 12:26

What was Shyamalan's last good movie? Signs? (My wife and I liked Lady in the Water but admit we are in the very small minority). I also liked Devil but I know he didn't direct it. The Village was disappointing, The Happening was s**t and the less said about The Last Airbender the better...

• RaveyDaveyGravy

Feb 16th 2012, 12:59

Shyamalan's last good film? Loved Signs, loved The Village, liked Devil (didnt he write it?) loved the trailer for the Happening, hated Airbender. BUT, I still have faith that given good material Shy can become a director with vision again. I think this could be the turning point

• SiMan

Feb 16th 2012, 13:34

I think Shyamalan's problem is that he's become too overindulgent in recent films. He is very good at the craft of film-making - the technical aspects of it. No matter what the plot of his next film is going to be, we're not going to really have an idea if he can restrain himself until the film actually comes out. I think he is one of the few directors for whom the plot/story/themes of a movie would not define how well he could make a decent film.

• FBJRider

Feb 16th 2012, 14:59

I think he is a good film maker, most of his are only good the first time you watch them, especially Sixth Sense. I did like him until he ruined one of the best cartoon's in fact one of the best tv shows ever made. Let's hope he can redeem himself.

• dex2010

Feb 16th 2012, 18:51

Love shyamalan! Ok so he got Airbender wrong , but this sounds like hes back in his comfort zone. Remember people it wasnt too long ago he was been tipped as the next spielberg. AE is going to be big i can feel it lol.

• writerdave87

Feb 17th 2012, 14:40

I liked The Happening right up until it turned out that plants were out to kill us. Then I switched it off.

• FBMSimson

Feb 21st 2012, 8:01

Wow, he really does look like his dad! I guess the idea for the story came from watching an episode of Life After People. The fact that Wil Smith liked the script enough to be in it bodes well for Shyamalan. http://www.after-earth-movie.com/ is a fansite I found.

• Seedorf

Feb 22nd 2012, 15:55

Sixth Sense was a great film. Every film he has made since, has got gradually worse.