New images for The Amazing Spider-Man

Including a proper look at the Lizard

The Amazing Spider-Man has released a batch of new images online, including a front-on image of the Lizard, in which Curt Connors' alter-ego is displayed in all his glory.

Well, we say glory, but there's something unsettlingly cartoonish about the Lizard's comically grinning face. In fact, he reminds us a little of one of the Koopas in Super Mario Bros

Still, he certainly leaves a trail of damage in his wake, as evidenced by the image of Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy peering through an ominously Lizard-shaped hole in a laboratory wall.

Elsewhere, there's another look at Andrew Garfield in the shiny new Spidey suit, as well as Rhys Ifans' Connors in the early stages of his transformation.

The Amazing Spider-Man opens in the UK on 4 July 2012. Until then, you can check out all the new images below...

What do you think of the Lizard's look? Tell us your feedback, below...

Comments

• MisterAmj

May 28th 2012, 10:58

Thoroughly looking forward to this!! I don't think Lizard looks THAT bad. And I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be a fearsome face, rather than a grinning one. I think it's just a bad image. (Yes, I'm biased).

• dropdeadsam

May 28th 2012, 10:59

This looks terrible. The thing that was awesome about the first 2 spider-man films was the minimal amount of CGI they either wore a costume (Green Goblin) or had puppets (Doc Oc) Having the whole thing a soul less CGI character puts me off, and I was so excited when they announced it was the Lizard.

• JamieTSB

May 28th 2012, 11:22

I think this proves that our awareness of CGI has increased to such a degree, that it no longer looks photo-real. The CG in many films is starting to look shoddy and unimpressive. The pic of The Lizard, sadly, does not look realistic enough for a major movie event. I'm sure it won't detract from what looks like a pretty entertaining (albeit, slightly redundant) film. This is just my opinion, and pretty rambling it is too!

• FBSDhondt

May 28th 2012, 11:24

so weird that people still immediately go to 'soul less' when they see a CGI character. Everything in Pixar is animated and they even turned something as inanimate as a faceless robot into the cutest thing ever. Gollem in LOTR came to life because the CGI character had a great team of animators AND a talented actor behind it. I for one think this Spiderman at least deserves a look. Sam Raimi made three of them and only got it (almost) right once (with the second one), so let's give this one a fair shot and not judge the movie before its release based on a glimpse of a CGI character ;) there's a good boy :p

• badger86

May 28th 2012, 11:28

@dropdeadsam - minimal use of CGI in the Raimi films....BWAHAHAHA. No, fair enough the GG suit was an actual suit (always thought it looked a bit s**t myself) and some of Dock Ock's tentacles were practical effects, but pretty much everything else in those movies was a CGI creation, including much of the Spider-man footage, and it is painfully obvious that that is the case. Mark Webb has previously stated that much if not all of the effects in this film will be practical, including all the web slinging, action set pieces etc. It's the lizard for goodness sake! Even if they wanted to, how practical do you think an actual Lizard suit would be to film? I just don't see it working as a guy in a suit...as for the soulless part we really won't know if that is the case until we see the movie, the point of motion capture is so you can get an actual performance out of what would otherwise be a lump of CG, and unless you missed the two towers, rise of the apes, or Avatar (just to name a few) then you must realise that the technology can work extremely well when it comes to providing CG creations with that all important 'soul'. By the way, I'm not a huge fan of Avatar, but i can't deny the impressive use of motion capture tech.

• FBJRider

May 28th 2012, 12:25

Everyone looks terrible in a photo if it's taken at the wrong time, hopefully this is just a case of the shot being taken at the wrong time in between him looking normal and looking fearsome. But thank you for ruining the film Total Film, all I'll be able to imagine whenever the Lizard is on screen is a Koopa.

• CaptainCrazy

May 28th 2012, 15:16

I'm going to hate on this film just because of the light-up webshooters. Yes, I'm stupid and shallow, but so is this film. Pah, light-up webshooters...can you say cheap toy tie-in.

• bencobra

May 28th 2012, 15:39

@FBJRider. I am not too sure about the Lizard. Certainly not how I expected it to look. However, your comparison to Koopa is hilarious

May 28th 2012, 15:46

Are they supposed to be high school kids? They look more like newly-wed teachers.

• bencobra

May 28th 2012, 16:26

@Hadouken76. He is actually a few years older then Maguire when he played him in the first Raimi movie.

May 28th 2012, 16:48

Yeah he looks like it, but at least Maguire looked young enough to pass off as a teen. I wouldn't mind seeing Spiderman team up with Deadpool. Those two are hilarious together!

• Indianabones

May 28th 2012, 21:38

While I understand the Garfield and stone are far from a Teen, could an actual 'teen' pull a movie like this off? could ask Justin Bieber to do it??? I know it would please one person on here ;) but in all honesty this is an old thing, Michael J Fox was well in his 30's when playing Marty Mcfly, we just let our imaginations go with it. at least Garfield looks a better Peter Parker than Maguire did!

• BradleyRobyn

Jun 5th 2012, 23:50

what Alice responded I am shocked that a stay at home mom can make $8558 in a few weeks on the internet. did you see this webpage ======>>> lazycash1.com