New international trailer for Star Trek Into Darkness

“None of you are safe”

Star Trek: Into Darkness has released a new international trailer online, featuring Benedict Cumberbatch wreaking havoc on both London and Starfleet alike.

The new trailer is pleasingly heavy on Cumberbatch, exuding icy menace as he goes toe-to-toe with an understandably outraged Kirk.

“I am better,” he sneers at Starfleet’s finest. “At what?” retorts Kirk, angrily. “Everything,” comes the reply. They don’t really like each other, do they?

Take a look at the new trailer, below:

There’s a very different tone on display here to the one shown in the last trailer, which was largely focusing on Kirk’s boys-own antics. Things are a lot more serious here, and a sight more exciting as a consequence.

Directed by J.J. Abrams and co-starring Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto and Zoe Saldana, Star Trek Into Darkness will open in the UK on 17 May 2013.

What do you think of the new trailer? Tell us, below!

Comments

• crystakura

Mar 21st 2013, 13:25

b***r!

• Chufferstud

Mar 21st 2013, 14:17

I've given up caring who Cumberbatch plays (the teasing is getting boring) but I do think that telekinesis or mind power plays a part and that both his character and Alice Eve's character have the ability. The film does look very very entertaining. I kinda feel sad that JJ is doing Star Wars as he surely can't do ST3 now? (waiting for the reply "of course he can and don't call me Shirley!")

• trist808

Mar 21st 2013, 15:05

@Chufferstud: he could do Star Trek 3, the only problem is, even if he made the film straight after SW Epi VII, he'd have a tough task getting the film out during Star Trek's 50th anniversary year of 2016 (which is ideally when the next film should come out to celebrate the occasion). He'll shoot SW late this year / early next year and be heavily involved in post-production for most of next year and into early 2015, so I can't see him prepping Star Trek 3 and getting it out into cinemas even aiming for a Christmas 2016 release. Of course, he could easily do it for 2017 or even 2018 (I'd rather he take his time and craft a worthy sequel than rush it) but I think I speak for every Star Trek fan when I say having a film released during the anniversary would be something very special ... perhaps JJ would produce the third with a new director in place? Either way chances are I don't think JJ is entirely done with Trek just yet (at least I hope not)

• moviemind91

Mar 21st 2013, 15:54

@Chufferstud @trist808 I'm guessing Abrams will be the producer for ST3 as he'll be busy with Star Wars and I think the studio will want 3 to come out on the 50th Anniversary as yes it would be special to fans. I'm confident the third film will work without Abrams directing. He produced Mission Impossible 4 and I thought that was even better than it's predecessor, which Abrams himself directed.

Mar 21st 2013, 20:38

" I will walk over your cold corpses."

• DravenCage

Mar 21st 2013, 21:10

I'm still saying he's going to be Khan. They've said his name is John Harrison, but not one single person in the trailer has said his name, even though Starfleet Command know who he is. That, to me, screams that the name is a red-herring.

• Jaffa

Mar 22nd 2013, 2:29

I enjoyed the first one and this looks like a fun ride too, but I hope the franchise takes a more smarts-over-spectacle stance in the future. That's what separated Star Trek from Star Wars in the first place.

• mattburgess

Mar 22nd 2013, 11:44

trist808 - you don't speak for every Star Trek fan. I'd be much happier to receive a great Star Trek 3, than one that was rushed to meet the 50th anniversary with a sub-par director. My only concern with this film is that it doesn't seem to have very much to do with exploration...

• trist808

Mar 22nd 2013, 13:04

@mattburgess, fair enough, I wasn't implying I did speak for every Star Trek fan, I wasn't stating a fact (if I did, it would be in Klingon anyway - lol) it's just a lot of ST fans I know would love to see the third film in 2016 and it's three years away so I was merely speculating. If you don't feel the same way then that's fine, I agree with your comments though, we don't want it rushed and a mess just to hit a release date. All I was saying is it would be nice to have a film during the anniversary year, it worked well for that Bond fella :-)

• mattburgess

Mar 22nd 2013, 13:13

A brilliant Star Trek computer game would be pretty awesome for the anniversary... Anybody else wondering if Abrams will sneak a Trek reference into Star Wars the way he put R2D2 into Star Trek? Personally, I'd rather just watch Star Wars in the original Klingon, as George Lucas intended ;¬)