New Mad Max trilogy could be on the way

George Miller says Fury Road will be one of three

You certainly can’t fault George Miller’s confidence. His long-awaited Mad Max reboot might have been stuck in development hell for more than a year (some ten years after he started hyping the project in the first place), but that isn’t about to stop him discussing potential sequels, of which there will apparently be two.

“We started with [Fury Road], but we then started to do a second story and a third,” said Miller to Australian Financial Review. “We’ve written the script for the second and almost finished the third. We never intended to, [but] they were part of the exploration of the characters.”

Fury Road’s latest delay came about as a result of the film’s arid Australian location being washed away by flash flooding. However, the film will now be relocated to Namibia, with everything supposedly in place for filming to begin in April.

All being well, Fury Road will see Tom Hardy step into Mel Gibson’s shoes as post-apocalyptic drifter Max Rockatanski, with Charlize Theron and Zoe Kravitz also attached in supporting roles.

On top of the new Mad Max movies, Happy Feet director Miller also revealed that he’ll be working on a new animated project entitled Fur Brigade. No further details were revealed, suffice to say that Miller considers it, “the most ambitious thing we’ve done.” See what we mean about confidence?

Are you excited for more Mad Max movies, or will it not be the same without Mel? Tell us, below.

Comments

• BobbyTwoTimes

Nov 30th 2011, 11:01

It is..........it IS Dalinonce!!! I knew it! I always recognise the ramblings of a mad man....

• murphy

Nov 30th 2011, 15:50

Aye i noticed one of 'Crazyfilmguys' comments on another article and thought "there's only one c u n t who writes like that!" And as much as i loath remakes this might actually be ok if it's done right.

• DanRose

Nov 30th 2011, 16:14

Dalid.... CrazyFilmGuy, I kinda agree. Another remake, reboot, whatever of iconic films (The Thing, Nightmare on Elm Street I'm looking at you) is not always a good thing, however in this instance I have faith. Miller is involved and like the idea of Hardy as the protagonist.

Nov 30th 2011, 17:20

Thing is, Dalidab's rambling aside, this is the same director as the first three, with a damn talented actor who imho is actually a hell of a lot more talented than Gibson was at the time he made the originals. I don't think this is going to fall prey to 'remakeitis'... I'm genuinely interested in this and looking forward to what a Miller/Hardy collaboration could come up with. Dalidab can you also stay away from 'proving your point'? As I know we're trying to give you the benefit of the doubt but when you start yammering about how you've 'proven' anything you do get extremely irritating.

• BobbyTwoTimes

Dec 1st 2011, 10:38

Fair play Dave you make some good points there about Gibbo at the time of the originals - i hadn't considered it from that angle. Only thing i'm worried about is that Miller is not the same, edgy director he was 30 yrs ago, and unfortunately directors like Lucas, Coppola, De Palma, Carpenter etc.. have proved that that can make a hell of a difference...

Dec 1st 2011, 10:53

On the plus side, Tom Hardy driving cars very fast with no CGI and lots of ultraviolence would probably be very difficult to f**k up :p

Dec 1st 2011, 10:53

or maybe that should be 'should'... not would...

Dec 1st 2011, 17:04

Um, if there are three films, it's a new trilogy. Nothing 'so called' about it lol. Dalidab I'm not saying that Gibson wasn't a good actor and grew into a great one (though I think he's a better director), but Hardy's star is ascending faster imo. I found Gibson a bit wooden in the original Max tbh.

Dec 2nd 2011, 2:14

Er, whut? Nick Stahl over Tom Hardy? No way. Stahl's alright but Hardy's a superior actor for the part in pretty much every way imaginable. Interesting idea having Gibson co-direct but would never happen- man's too persona non grata after his anti-Jewish rants, as well he should be. Funny you brought up the phrase 'less is more' you could do with some of that yourself... :p

• alexr

Dec 2nd 2011, 11:15

@CrazyDalidabGuy Nick-f*****g-Stahl?! He was shocking in both Terminator 3 and Sin City so the further he stays away from iconic roles like Max the better. Not too sure if Tom Hardy can bring the same edge to the role that Gibson did, but then, if it's edginess and acting chops you're after, why not cast Kiefer Sutherland? (I think he's 10 years too old, to be honest, but I'd have loved to see him in the role). How about Hugh Jackman? He's Australian, he can bring that edge to it, and I think think he'll look great having seven shades of s**te beaten out of him...

Dec 2nd 2011, 21:03

Russell Crowe and Mikkelsen are too old unless it was to be a sequel (though don't get me wrong I really like the idea of Mikkelsen for an older Max), Sewell's just totally wrong, Jamie Bell? Dear god no, just no. Not got anything close to the physical presence for it. Bale I just don't get the vibe off him for it. I personally would go for Ryan Phillipe for younger Max or Jason Patric for older Max.

Dec 2nd 2011, 23:50

It's not a remake, it's a totally new Max story, but I'm not sure where in the canon it fits- I think it may come between the first two, or before the first one judging from the casting of Hardy. I didn't particularly like the third one, thought it was too dumbed down. There's absolutely no reason to get Gibson back on board for a new Max film, it would be like making a prequel to Spartacus and insisting Kirk Douglas took the lead role.

Dec 3rd 2011, 1:19

Er have you watched the films? Mad Max 3 is set a long time after 2 to start with. Which son? Feral kid does grow up, he narrates Mad Max 2 when he's an OLD MAN and says that he's never seen Max again. If you're going to make suggestions, at least have them attempt to fit into the series eh? Also the two TV shows had nothing to do with the film. The Gods of the Arena thing was made into a prequel to the TV show after the actor developed cancer imo. Prequel had nothing to do with the movie. The Kirk Douglas thing was a joke anyway (remember those?), pointing out getting a very old actor to revisit a young, action role doesn't work. Only thing I can think of that comes close is Paul Newman's character in the colour of money. To be blunt though Dalidab, I think the creator and director of all three Mad Max films might have a better idea of what he wants to do with this film than you do. He's already stated he doesn't want Mel Gibson back, studios and public probably wouldn't want Gibson back, and Gibson is too old (Tbh I don't think Mel himself would want to come back). Gibson isn't coming back, and it makes no sense for him to do so. Draw a line and keep the discussion going without Gibson!

Dec 3rd 2011, 15:21

I didn't diss Spartacus, you f*****g moron, try reading my posts properly. Cam Gigandet? and you wonder why no-one takes you seriously.

Dec 4th 2011, 16:33

I might stop talking to you until you actually get the film's name right. It's FURY ROAD. There's no need for anyone playing his son. I don't give a s**t about Max's son, Max is the character. There's no point making a film that only has a tiny cameo from a geriatric Gibson as the title character. I could never ever take you seriously, admittedly your MGS cast list was good but tbh it's massively outweight by all the utter c**p you usually come out with, usually to justify putting one of your w**k objects in a movie that has no place for them.

• Heisenberg

Dec 4th 2011, 21:39

@writerdave, i hope you brought a napkin homie, you just got served.

Dec 5th 2011, 0:59

Hardly, Dalidab giving lectures on morality is like Hitler giving lectures on racial tolerance.

Dec 5th 2011, 1:04

Ok though, without allowing my irritation at your verbal diaorrhea on other pages to bleed through to this thread, I would say I don't think any of your cast choices for younger actors (even if I do think a 'Son of Mad Max' film is a terrible idea) match the tone of the film series. Bringing Gibson back doesn't make any sense either. And if you want know why I'm so mean to you it's because I don't have the memory of a goldfish and can recall some of the things you've said to me and others before. Having a name change doesn't make you a better person.

• Heisenberg

Dec 5th 2011, 8:01

@writerdave, cheers for the morning chuckle :~D Have to agree with Writerdave on this, CFG your ideas for the next films are just not very good concepts.

• Heisenberg

Dec 7th 2011, 18:02

Now that's dedication to to trolling right there.

Dec 9th 2011, 0:41